Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

If the road is flat I don't have my foot on the break. As I said, if it's a hill I've no issue with the hand-break being applied, but on a flat road when the lights only let few cars through, it is extremely annoying when the fuckwit at the front takes an age to take off the hand-break at the green (why they don't do it at the amber is beyond me) because they aren't paying attention or have pulled it up too high. I've seen both instances several times in this town.

Without the use of a spirt level, you cannot be sure the road is flat. When I'm first at the lights, I apply the brake and look at the other lights. I stay alert and when it's obviously the turn of the lights I'm at, I quickly release the handbrake before my light has turned green and pull away. I'm able to do this because I have the cognitive function of a sane human being

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Absolutely. Scottish Football needs a strong Old Firm though!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-37343895

"Celtic said they would not get involved in a "tit for tat spat" on the issue."

Glasgow Celtic, willing to ignore fans depicting the hanging of rival fans and showing signs like "kill all ****" and "know your place *** scum"

Congratulations you utter muppets. Any supporters who do shit like that should be banned, not simply downplayed

Without the use of a spirt level, you cannot be sure the road is flat. When I'm first at the lights, I apply the brake and look at the other lights. I stay alert and when it's obviously the turn of the lights I'm at, I quickly release the handbrake before my light has turned green and pull away. I'm able to do this because I have the cognitive function of a sane human being

It's a pity more folk in this town aren't able bodied like yourself then :(

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Theres no excuse really not to be able to get away sharp even with the handbrake on.

Perhaps the issue should be people who use the handbrake as directed by government advice, but are also pish at driving.

Your welcome

This! In a nutshell

31 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If the road is flat I don't have my foot on the break. As I said, if it's a hill I've no issue with the hand-break being applied, but on a flat road when the lights only let few cars through, it is extremely annoying when the fuckwit at the front takes an age to take off the hand-break at the green (why they don't do it at the amber is beyond me) because they aren't paying attention or have pulled it up too high. I've seen both instances several times in this town.

And if someone runs into the back of you? You really are an idiot if you're not at the wind up. 

If someone ran into the back of me whilst i was at the head of stationery traffic I'd be confused.

This.

I know it's a risk, but if I'm at the front of a queue and someone runs into the back of me I have faith in my reflexes that I'd hit the breaks pretty quickly. I also wonder if the damage done would be far less if my hand-break was indeed off.

28 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

This.

I know it's a risk, but if I'm at the front of a queue and someone runs into the back of me I have faith in my reflexes that I'd hit the breaks pretty quickly. I also wonder if the damage done would be far less if my hand-break was indeed off.

Depends how hard they hit you.

11 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Electronic handbrake on, select neutral and make use of the start/stop technology. Then just put it in gear and pull off and the handbrake comes off automatically. Technology is awesome.

Until it breaks!

All that fancy shite is just half a dozen more things you can only get fixed at an 'approved' garage.....but at least you don't have to physically release your handbrake. :lol:

The issue isn't handbrake off or on....... it's cretins that don't seem to realise that when they stop at a red light that at some point in the foreseeable future the lights will change and they will be expected to move again. 

Red lights are not a signal to do your make-up, play with the radio, search around the car for the sweet you dropped earlier, check your tie is straight or any other of the inordinate number of things that folk do at lights. I know the sequence of about 90% of the sets of lights I go through, as I use them that often, and having the hand brake off or on is irrelevant in comparison to paying attention when it comes to moving away quickly.

This.

This actually happened to myself when I lived in Budapest. I was at the front at a red light with a Mercedes stationery behind me. A car behind that, who knows what speed they were doing or what they were thinking, rammed into the Mercedes which in turn shunted me several yards into the crossing (with handbrake on). My car had several thousand € worth of damage and the Mercedes was a write off. Any pedestrian crossing when it happened would have been flattened by myself and if I didn't have the handbrake on I would have been shunted right out into the traffic. No reaction time would allow you to compensate for something so sudden.

All in all, I agree that it's a pain when people take so long at junctions, handbrake or not, but it's stupidity not to have the brake on.

Thinking you would have less damage having the brakes off is also naive as you have a bigger risk of been pushed out into traffic, and you would also become responsible for damage done at that point.

When you are expecting something through the post and it doesn't arrive.:(

was told it would arrive today. It will probably be down for delivery tomorrow but as there will be nobody in then, I will have to pick it up from the sorting office on thursday...:angry:

Edited by supermik