Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

8 hours ago, hk blues said:

I know this is the PTTGOYN but why would that be better? 

The only reason that it got on my nerves a bit, was that for years I've been used to adverts that would go, "Not available in Norther Ireland" etc. It just caught my attention that this was the first time I'd heard it like that.

On Monday when I went to work there was a bunch of stuff that hadn't been touched since Friday when I had last been in. I fixed it.

On Tuesday when I went to work there was a bunch of stuff that hadn't been touched since Monday when I had finished with it. I fixed it.

On Wednesday when I went to work there was a bunch of stuff that hadn't been touched since Tuesday when I had finished with it. I fixed it.

Today when I went to work not only had the stuff from Wednesday not been touched since I left it, stuff that had come in on Thursday had been done instead, meaning I had to fix all of that.

Today I got home and I've got a letter for jury service. It's the last week in September. I have my first holiday from work since May that week.

8 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

On Monday when I went to work there was a bunch of stuff that hadn't been touched since Friday when I had last been in. I fixed it.

On Tuesday when I went to work there was a bunch of stuff that hadn't been touched since Monday when I had finished with it. I fixed it.

On Wednesday when I went to work there was a bunch of stuff that hadn't been touched since Tuesday when I had finished with it. I fixed it.

Today when I went to work not only had the stuff from Wednesday not been touched since I left it, stuff that had come in on Thursday had been done instead, meaning I had to fix all of that.

Today I got home and I've got a letter for jury service. It's the last week in September. I have my first holiday from work since May that week.

If you have a holiday already booked - as in a hotel reservation, not just having asked time off work - you should be able to get off that jury service. I was called for September as well, but we had booked B&B for that time months ago so just sent an email * to the address on the notice and I heard back very quickly that I was excused.

Edit * with a copy of the booking confirmation 

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

Just now, Salt n Vinegar said:

If you have a holiday already booked - as in a hotel reservation, not just having asked time off work - you should be able to get off that jury service. I was called for September as well, but we had booked B&B for that time months ago so just sent an email to the address on the notice and I heard back very quickly that I was excused.

Yeah I'm just off, I'm not going away.

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Yeah I'm just off, I'm not going away.

Bear in mind that the odds are against your name getting picked out of the hat on the day, I was on the list recently and just had to phone in a couple of times to check if I'd been chosen. I wasn't. 

Edited by welshbairn

I had jury service a few weeks ago. I was off work for a full week but only in court for 1.5 days - a massive, expensive pain in the arse. Being self-employed I was entitled to the princely sum of about 90 quid compensation.

I've since learned that as I work for myself with no employees, I could have asked for an excusal on the basis that my business would need to cease trading for the duration of the trial.

I thought I was getting called up as a witness for a case at the high court, but was never needed, but I was going on holiday the week the trial was starting anyway. Evil c**t was found guilty anyway.

I was picked for Jury duty once, however, this was short lived as I knew one of the boys in the dock.

A drug deal that went South pretty quickly when they wanted to leave with the cash and the drugs, ended in a lot of stabbing.

Edited by johnnydun

5 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I've never been called for Jury Service but I did once earn £20 as a teenager for standing in a police line up for a murder.

For the record they don't pay the suspect 

That's cheating and surely makes it obvious who it is.

I saw something a while ago where people were asking about paid leave from work in certain circumstances (illness, jury duty, etc) and, even though most folk felt they'd be chancing their arm, the verdict was that you're completely entitled to cancel your leave if you wouldn't be able to attend work anyway.

I've had a couple of bosses who'd likely have blown their stack at the cheek, so I'm quite sad never to have had the chance to try it.

31 minutes ago, BTFD said:

I saw something a while ago where people were asking about paid leave from work in certain circumstances (illness, jury duty, etc) and, even though most folk felt they'd be chancing their arm, the verdict was that you're completely entitled to cancel your leave if you wouldn't be able to attend work anyway.

I've had a couple of bosses who'd likely have blown their stack at the cheek, so I'm quite sad never to have had the chance to try it.

I don't know if there's a difference between lieu leave you have requested and set leave allocated by your employer,  but there shouldn't be.

Where I am, we are assigned our 5 weeks leave at the start of the year, and I'm pretty sure there's been instances of folk claiming theirs back when jury duty and such like have fallen at the same time as their hols

No-one should have to forfeit their time off work, which is supposed to be time away from your employment to rest/recharge or whatever, only to have to carry out a potentially very stressful legal task instead, then return to work less energised instead of more. That time's got to be reimbursed to be used for the purpose it is intended.

@Miguel Sanchez get your employer telt.

2 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

I don't know if there's a difference between lieu leave you have requested and set leave allocated by your employer,  but there shouldn't be.

Where I am, we are assigned our 5 weeks leave at the start of the year, and I'm pretty sure there's been instances of folk claiming theirs back when jury duty and such like have fallen at the same time as their hols

No-one should have to forfeit their time off work, which is supposed to be time away from your employment to rest/recharge or whatever, only to have to carry out a potentially very stressful legal task instead, then return to work less energised instead of more. That time's got to be reimbursed to be used for the purpose it is intended.

@Miguel Sanchez get your employer telt.

Oh I absolutely will, I just enjoyed the irony of it waiting for me when I got in.