Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Academics giving presentations on things that they don't know how to pronounce. Recent example was somebody giving a presentation centering around the prominent hill of Bennachie, which the guy was consistently calling Ben-acky (rather than Ben-a-hee). 

Usually the result of somebody Down South travelling up to Scotland and failing to converse with anybody outwith their little pool of researchers.

Eta: this is actually well beyond 'petty' for me.  The ignorance really grinds my gears.

Edited by Hedgecutter

The amount of times someone on The Repair Shop, on receipt of their repaired item says something like ‘wow, just wow, what a job you’ve done repairing Grandma’s old ballet shoes… It’s brought her back.

Has it fcuk. The Repair Shop team are good, but not that fcuking good. What they did was to fix up Grandma’s battered old ballet shoes that you allowed to rot in the garden shed before thinking ‘they’d get me on the telly’.

I really like The Repair Shop… I’m just in a bit of a grumpy mood today. 😛

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Academics giving presentations on things that they don't know how to pronounce. Recent example was somebody giving a presentation centering around the prominent hill of Bennachie, which the guy was consistently calling Ben-acky (rather than Ben-a-hee). 

Usually the result of somebody Down South travelling up to Scotland and failing to converse with anybody outwith their little pool of researchers.

Eta: this is actually well beyond 'petty' for me.  The ignorance really grinds my gears.

I've been watching a show called "for all mankind" and they've been pronouncing Gemini as jeminy. Not once but all the time. Infuriating 

On 08/01/2024 at 21:52, BukyOHare said:

Lollipop men and women who are positioned at pedestrian crossings.

They literally press the button for kids, wait until the green man comes on and walk to the middle of the road while people cross.

A total waste of whatever money they're getting paid.

I'd like to see lollipop men and women at every pedestrian crossing in Edinburgh. So they can hit cyclists who ignore the red lights and plough through pedestrians with those big poles. 

38 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I'd like to see lollipop men and women at every pedestrian crossing in Edinburgh. So they can hit cyclists who ignore the red lights and plough through pedestrians with those big poles. 

Interesting fact of the day. The reason the lollipop has a black rectangle across it is because the black bit is like a blackboard at school. The lollipop people carry chalk in their pockets. Any driver that acts the Joe Kunt and endangers the kids by not stopping or whatever, if the lollipop person gets their reg’ number, they can write it on the black bit of the lollipop with the chalk.

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

I'd fucking love this. Twirling their lollipop like a ninja staff would be class. I obviously skip red lights loads, especially at ped crossings, but this would add to the intrigue.

15 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I don't fly often, but my sister in law goes to Italy a couple of times a year.  She reports a new development (in her experience).

Lazy fekkers who board the plane at the front, but instead of taking their hand luggage cases along to where they are sitting, they put it in the overhead lockers at the front as soon as they board before marching up the plane, meaning that the folk with seats at the front have nowhere to put their bags.

I'd take the bag out and leave it in the aisle. 

9 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

@Melanius Mullarkay how do you pronounce the word "concrete"? 

Edited by Swarley

19 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I don't fly often, but my sister in law goes to Italy a couple of times a year.  She reports a new development (in her experience).

Lazy fekkers who board the plane at the front, but instead of taking their hand luggage cases along to where they are sitting, they put it in the overhead lockers at the front as soon as they board before marching up the plane, meaning that the folk with seats at the front have nowhere to put their bags.

Good opportunity to go through their bags for valuables, imo..........................

First appointment yesterday with my new dentist after my old one retired.  Couldn't have been in the seat more than 3 minutes and she's done . 

" Ok that all looks great , you just have a wee chip on a filling there I'll need to replace so if you just make another appointment I'll get that sorted.....

Oh and I'm just sending a wee referral away as well to get your wisdom tooth removed ." 

19 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

First appointment yesterday with my new dentist after my old one retired.  Couldn't have been in the seat more than 3 minutes and she's done . 

" Ok that all looks great , you just have a wee chip on a filling there I'll need to replace so if you just make another appointment I'll get that sorted.....

Oh and I'm just sending a wee referral away as well to get your wisdom tooth removed ." 

I had a small cavity in a molar that I got my first and only filling for.  A couple of weeks later the outer enamel cracked away and so I got a follow-up appointment. 

"Hmmm... there's more filling than tooth there now, so what we'll need to do is grind the remaining part down and put a crown over it."

There's now a gap between that and the next tooth along that requires me carrying a fine toothpick places to avoid extreme agitation when eating meat. 😒

EV_mHuOWsAAnyJh.jpg.66f1b4f07179d4531481ab7c02c168b5.jpg

Edited by Hedgecutter

14 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Impossible Engineering - normally a great programme, bar the one on The Falkirk Wheel. 

Despite no matter where they go in the world they always learn how to pronounce locations. Bar when the english twat came to Falkirk and mispronounced FALKIKRK about 20 times.

11 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

I've been watching a show called "for all mankind" and they've been pronouncing Gemini as jeminy. Not once but all the time. Infuriating 

That's how they pronounced it at the time. The astrology sign was still 'Jemin-eye' but the spacecraft was different.

46 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

It annoys me that pronunciation isn't written/spoken as 'pronounciation'.

Absolutely needless complexity.

The way Australians mispronounce the word "maroon" has always annoyed me. 

1 hour ago, JamesP_81 said:

I started a course of treatment yesterday 3 fillings after a deep clean of the area concerned. 3 more similar treatments to go. All very professional and virtually painless.

Technique and equipment seems to have improved since I was last there.

2 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Impossible Engineering - normally a great programme, bar the one on The Falkirk Wheel. 

Despite no matter where they go in the world they always learn how to pronounce locations. Bar when the english twat came to Falkirk and mispronounced FALKIKRK about 20 times.

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

That's how they pronounced it at the time. The astrology sign was still 'Jemin-eye' but the spacecraft was different.

1 hour ago, Swarley said:

The way Australians mispronounce the word "maroon" has always annoyed me. 

Where do you stand on people who say "zeen" in Alan Gilzean, but "ain" in Culzean?

Eta: Stewart Petrie's name is one that I wonder about.  Having met a few folk with the surname Petrie around NE Scotland where it's evidently fairly common, they all say 'Pet-ray'.  The only time I've heard "Peet..." used is in reference to Stewart Petrie, and only from fans.  

Any Dundonians (I presume SP is from that neck of the woods) out there heard this Peet version elsewhere? 

Edited by Hedgecutter

10 hours ago, velo army said:

I'd fucking love this. Twirling their lollipop like a ninja staff would be class. I obviously skip red lights loads, especially at ped crossings, but this would add to the intrigue.

You've gone down in my estimation after this admission, you little scamp.

On similar lines, I witnessed a bit of pedestrian rage at Bernard Terrace / Newington Rd. junction on Sunday night - Deliveroo dude on e-bike went through lights on a green man and was promptly hauled off his machine by a couple of handy looking lads who told him, in no uncertain terms, to stop being a pest and danger to other people.