Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

14 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

At decimalisation in 1971, a first class stamp cost 3p.  It now costs £1.25.  Using the Bank of England inflation calculator, if it had only risen buy inflation, it would be 36p.

The service was far better in 1971 - 2 deliveries a day and same day delivery locally for first class. 

24 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

At decimalisation in 1971, a first class stamp cost 3p.  It now costs £1.25.  Using the Bank of England inflation calculator, if it had only risen buy inflation, it would be 36p.

They've got to pay for that super-duper IT system somehow.  

43 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

28 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

The service was far better in 1971 - 2 deliveries a day and same day delivery locally for first class. 

Costs a lot to have top notch computer systems like Horizon to run everything efficiently and make the lives of post-masters easier

31 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Costs a lot to have top notch computer systems like Horizon to run everything efficiently and make the lives of post-masters easier

Digitalisation makes everyone's life easier. A cost/benefit analysis said so. 

17 hours ago, velo army said:

Genuinely never clicked that her name might be Mo. I've been pronouncing her username with the emphasis on the "Bo" part like she's a Cameroonian footballer 🤣.

I like that pronunciation. I might start using it 🤣 I am not called Mo though.

10 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I made the assumption that the poster is a Hearts fan called Maureen yonks ago and have never been pulled up for being wrong in this ....😁

Then again, it could be a guy called Bomo who likes jam.

Nor Maureen 🤣 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

“My personal email is….please don’t be a stranger!”

Aye right you are. 

I get surprised if I see someone on my odd days in the office, or get an email from them and I genuinely forgot they existed.

15 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Older people banging on about how 'X  used to only cost Y pence' back in the day, as if they're completely oblivious to the concept of inflation.

There's an old episode of Hancock's Half Hour where Sid pays Hancock less than he is owed. Sid's argument is that he is paying him in coins with Queen Victoria and Edward VII on them and therefore they are worth more as a shilling in 1907 could buy more than a shilling in 1955. 

This leads to Hancock getting thrown off the bus for trying to pay with a Queen Victoria penny. 

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

There's an old episode of Hancock's Half Hour where Sid pays Hancock less than he is owed. Sid's argument is that he is paying him in coins with Queen Victoria and Edward VII on them and therefore they are worth more as a shilling in 1907 could buy more than a shilling in 1955. 

This leads to Hancock getting thrown off the bus for trying to pay with a Queen Victoria penny. 

When I was younger in the 1960s it's was pretty common to get Victorian pennies in your change, occasionally even in reasonable condition.

5 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

But using the Seville calculator they should cost £47.34.

5 hours ago, Brother Blades said:

Morris

5 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Mohammed

5 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Maybe… Maybe not 😁

5 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Morticia?

5 hours ago, Jambomo said:

How did you guess? 🤣

Montgomery ?

Montmorency ?