Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

She took the fifty, opened the till and must have had at least 200€ worth of change insides, 20s, 10s the lot. It wasn't a wee corner shop - it'd be the Dutch equivalent to Superdrug or something.

And I can't think of anyone who purposely hands over a fifty for an insignificant sum and doesn't check to see if they have enough small change first.

Aye, but if she had at least 200E (don't know where the Euro sign is) then you're taking 48E of that. All it takes is a few folk to do that and before long she's got no change left. If it's the equivalent to Superdrug then it's probably quite busy, so that could conceivably happen quite quickly.

I see it all the time when working for the council in the summer - people come in and pay £121 (say) for their monthly council tax, and hand over seven £20 notes. There's £19 of change away right there. Before long you're having to give out two 50p coins or five 20p coins to make up a pound, and people complain:

"Why don't you give me pound coins or fivers in my change?"

"Because I haven't got any left because of people like you hoovering £19 of my change in one transaction".

Aye, but if she had at least 200E (don't know where the Euro sign is) then you're taking 48E of that. All it takes is a few folk to do that and before long she's got no change left. If it's the equivalent to Superdrug then it's probably quite busy, so that could conceivably happen quite quickly.

Yes but as I've pointed out surely anyone with half a brain checks their small change before breaking a fifty (or similar) for a small purchase.

So at best the customer is being treated like a thoughtless imbecile (the jokes self-write here) by even asking. It's awkward and inconvenient for me to break a fifty and it's inconvenient for the shopkeep. So clearly neither of us wanted it to happen, so suck it up and stop asking silly questions.

Yes but as I've pointed out surely anyone with half a brain checks their small change before breaking a fifty (or similar) for a small purchase.

So at best the customer is being treated like a thoughtless imbecile (the jokes self-write here) by even asking. It's awkward and inconvenient for me to break a fifty and it's inconvenient for the shopkeep. So clearly neither of us wanted it to happen, so suck it up and stop asking silly questions.

You'd be surprised the number of people who, when I asked "do you have a pound coin at all so I can give you a round £10 in your change?" managed to miraculously find one after rummaging in their pockets for just a couple of seconds.

You'd be surprised the number of people who, when I asked "do you have a pound coin at all so I can give you a round £10 in your change?" managed to miraculously find one after rummaging in their pockets for just a couple of seconds.

Oh not at all I see that point, but when the customer is breaking a fifty for a bottle of juice it should be fairly obvious what's happening. Without treating them like an idiot.

Pay for your own flight:)

If only it was as simple as that, but it isn't.

You know, Christmas isn't compulsory! You don't have to spend it with your family if you don't want to.

I'm not going to spend Christmas on my own in a four bedroom flat in Glasgow when everybody I know in Glasgow has gone home. Cheers for the suggestion though.

Have you ever considered that your Mum may want to just have a nice quiet Christmas at home with her family here? Must be stressful getting everying sorted for going away at Christmas.

So, in short, stop thinking about yourself and think about your Mum.

The point is she doesn't have any family here, my entire family besides my mum and brother are from either a place 20 miles from Dublin, or they're in Belfast.

I hope you stamped your feet and shouted at the top of your voice that you hate her.

Seriously man, Just spend a good Christmas with your Mum and make long phone calls to the folk that you can't see personally. The only person that'll make it a shite Christmas is yourself with your 'woe is me' attitude.

Sorry to be a preachy ersehole but if there is not very much you can do about the situation, try and make the best of the situation that you face.

I'm going to be pleasent and enjoy Christmas, but right now I'm a bit sore about the whole thing.

I shouldn't of said anything tbh, no point moaning about my family on the internet. It's just I always go to Ireland for Christmas, but because my mum's having a barney with someone in my family over something stupid I don't get to see anyone (including my dad) and the nights out I'd planned with people in Belfast are fucked.

You're right though I'm sure Christmas day will be nice if I choose to make it that way (which I will), but as soon as that's done I'm away.

Guest The Phoenix

If only it was as simple as that, but it isn't.

I'm not going to spend Christmas on my own in a four bedroom flat in Glasgow when everybody I know in Glasgow has gone home. Cheers for the suggestion though.

The point is she doesn't have any family here, my entire family besides my mum and brother are from either a place 20 miles from Dublin, or they're in Belfast.

I'm going to be pleasent and enjoy Christmas, but right now I'm a bit sore about the whole thing.

I shouldn't of said anything tbh, no point moaning about my family on the internet. It's just I always go to Ireland for Christmas, but because my mum's having a barney with someone in my family over something stupid I don't get to see anyone (including my dad) and the nights out I'd planned with people in Belfast are fucked.

You're right though I'm sure Christmas day will be nice if I choose to make it that way (which I will), but as soon as that's done I'm away.

That's the most mature response to a rollocking I've ever read on P&B.

Well done, young man.

That's the most mature response to a rollocking I've ever read on P&B.

Well done, young man.

Why thank you.

Between you and me it's not just family I'm really wanting to visit. I've protested about me not getting to see family though so that's the only script I can run with.

Edit to add: Who says "between you and me" on an internet forum that countless people could potentially read? My other PTTGOMN is writing that, I'm a gimp.

Edited by Guest

Spewed my ring last night and pretty sure i'm going to do so again at some point, so have phoned in sick. Feel like shit.

After yer bumwee escapades, and u r now vomiting, I suggest a trip to the docs is in order