Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Yes, they did. But that doesn't really answer the points I made, semi-seriously/semi-jesting, about the sharing of images, does it?

It's unlikely if you share photos with family and friends directly that they'll ever be seen by anyone else, certainly not copied. I understand that you misunderstood the security settings but that still wouldn't stop the people who you wanted to see the photos passing it on to their friends in seconds, and ad infinitum. You have to assume any picture shared on the internet is public.

My auntie tagged herself in a photo of me and my oldest at the football. Because of that I had to explain that anyone would be able to see it because of her shite security settings (she should not be allowed online). I had random folk who she's friends with 'liking' the picture and one of them telling them the wee one looked like her! I was fucking raging.

Yes, they did. But that doesn't really answer the points I made, semi-seriously/semi-jesting, about the sharing of images, does it?

Maybe this will.

Ask yourself, in the pre-digital age, would you have given the entire world access to every picture you took?

If you matter to people, and they matter to you, you will keep in touch. You know, talk, call, email, text*- that kind of thing. None totally "secure", but that's life. Social marketing? Totally unnecessary, imho. And no, that's not a typo.

Facebook, while potentially useful, has long since become a forum for self promotion, ego stroking, and wrong'uns of various varieties.

* Even write occasionally, with property printed photos sometimes. Really make someone's day now and again.

It's unlikely if you share photos with family and friends directly that they'll ever be seen by anyone else, certainly not copied. I understand that you misunderstood the security settings but that still wouldn't stop the people who you wanted to see the photos passing it on to their friends in seconds, and ad infinitum. You have to assume any picture shared on the internet is public.

I understand how the security settings work, I just hadn't realised that friends of friends could see my updates as I believed I had selected the option that prevented that. It certainly used to work that way.

My point, though joking, was still semi-serious. Though you can give the pictures physically to your loved ones, you still can't control what they do with them, or what they think about.

My auntie tagged herself in a photo of me and my oldest at the football. Because of that I had to explain that anyone would be able to see it because of her shite security settings (she should not be allowed online). I had random folk who she's friends with 'liking' the picture and one of them telling them the wee one looked like her! I was fucking raging.

My mum and my step-mum have both been guilty of this in the past.

Maybe this will.

Ask yourself, in the pre-digital age, would you have given the entire world access to every picture you took?

If you matter to people, and they matter to you, you will keep in touch. You know, talk, call, email, text*- that kind of thing. None totally "secure", but that's life. Social marketing? Totally unnecessary, imho. And no, that's not a typo.

Facebook, while potentially useful, has long since become a forum for self promotion, ego stroking, and wrong'uns of various varieties.

* Even write occasionally, with property printed photos sometimes. Really make someone's day now and again.

Answer me this; What if you send out a letter to your great uncle Walt of you and your family having a swim and then discover 6 months later that great uncle Walt was photocopying your pictures and distributing them amongst BEASTs?

My point is that you cannot control what people do with the media you provide them with, you can only control who has access to it, and I was under the impression, until this afternoon, that only people I trust and know had access to that media. Much like a letter enclosing a photo, you trust that only someone you know and trust will see it and that their intentions will be honourable, but the second you click "upload" or drop it in the post box or hand it to them, you lose control of the image and cannot then know what it is being used for.

Answer me this; What if you send out a letter to your great uncle Walt of you and your family having a swim and then discover 6 months later that great uncle Walt was photocopying your pictures and distributing them amongst BEASTs?

That would have been possible, but very unusual. With Facebook you share happy family photos with your quite undepraved Auntie Matilda, she goes ooooh, and shares them with her friend Rose, who goes ooooh and shares them with great Uncle Walt and his evil nest of Beasts. All in seconds and without a thought between them. Apart from Walt. Don't trust him, ever.

Edited by welshbairn

That would have been possible, but very unusual. With Facebook you make happy family photos to your quite undepraved Auntie Matilda, she goes ooooh, and shares them with her friend Rose, who goes ooooh and shares them with great Uncle Walt and his evil nest of Beasts. All in seconds and without a thought between them. Apart from Walt. Don't trust him, ever.

The point still stands and I'm hardly alone, it's not like I'm the only Facebook user.

What if you are though and the rest is one big elaborate Truman show style hoax?

Even before I saw that film (which was underwhelming and could have done so much more with the concept, imo) I occasionally worried that people could see my movements or hear my inner monologue.

On an unrelated note, is anyone else's government brain chip sensitive to static radio waves?

Even before I saw that film (which was underwhelming and could have done so much more with the concept, imo) I occasionally worried that people could see my movements or hear my inner monologue.

On an unrelated note, is anyone else's government brain chip sensitive to static radio waves?

*floor manager note, take the bidet out of the bathroom, he never uses it anyway*