Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I've been informed today that I need to move out of my house for up to 3 months for repairs to be completed. Had a leak coming in through my ceiling about 2 months ago, told the upstairs neighbour that I had water coming in and after a lot of back and forth she eventually got it fixed about 3 weeks ago. In those 3 weeks I've had about 4 different assessors (two for the building work, 1 for suspected asbestos in my ceiling and 1 from a drying company to dry out my walls/floor) out at my house, but today the building contractor dropped the bombshell that the walls are so wet that my entire bathroom needs to come out, along with my boiler and one side of my kitchen. Insurance have told me that they'll put me up in a flat for the duration but f**k knows what that will be like, anyone been through this before?

Raging, seething mess doesn't even cover it to be honest. If it had been sorted as soon as I highlighted it I would have £0 repair costs, now I'm facing 3 months out of my house over the holidays and basically half of my house being refitted. Glad I'll get a new bathroom and kitchen out of it mind you, but I'd rather keep my shitey outdated decor and not have to move out for 3 months. Perhaps my lack of experience with these situations hasn't helped here and I really should have called in the environmental health officer long before I did but I know for next time now that they are the first call to make rather than the last.

I've been informed today that I need to move out of my house for up to 3 months for repairs to be completed. Had a leak coming in through my ceiling about 2 months ago, told the upstairs neighbour that I had water coming in and after a lot of back and forth she eventually got it fixed about 3 weeks ago. In those 3 weeks I've had about 4 different assessors (two for the building work, 1 for suspected asbestos in my ceiling and 1 from a drying company to dry out my walls/floor) out at my house, but today the building contractor dropped the bombshell that the walls are so wet that my entire bathroom needs to come out, along with my boiler and one side of my kitchen. Insurance have told me that they'll put me up in a flat for the duration but f**k knows what that will be like, anyone been through this before?

Raging, seething mess doesn't even cover it to be honest. If it had been sorted as soon as I highlighted it I would have £0 repair costs, now I'm facing 3 months out of my house over the holidays and basically half of my house being refitted. Glad I'll get a new bathroom and kitchen out of it mind you, but I'd rather keep my shitey outdated decor and not have to move out for 3 months. Perhaps my lack of experience with these situations hasn't helped here and I really should have called in the environmental health officer long before I did but I know for next time now that they are the first call to make rather than the last.

Terrible situation, just tell the insurance company that your desired flat is a 3-bed condo in upper Manhattan , I'm sure they will oblige!
Failing that, surely they are duty bound to provide similar or better accommodation for you?

47 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Isn't this the last episode of Still Game?

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

^^^^^^^

Spoiler

103521.gif

What kind of society are we leaving for our kids if the latest trend is to go about with toothbrushes hanging out of our arses? 1st mental Ronald McDonalds now this, I dread to think what the next craze will be? Probably foul mouthed sock puppets! Tsk it's the world gone mad. 

Grimbo 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I deal with this quite a bit and don't be shy about getting yourself a smart gaff for the duration. Just look at it as a holiday and a new kitchen - it's like you've scooped the big prize on an episode of Bullseye.

11 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

My wife has a real problem with switching off sockets.

Her favourite at the moment is when we are charging the electric toothbrush she will lift it from the port and leave the thing on.

Is switching the socket off too much of a drag yer highness?

Be fair, putting the toilet seat down must take a lot out of her.

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I deal with this quite a bit and don't be shy about getting yourself a smart gaff for the duration. Just look at it as a holiday and a new kitchen - it's like you've scooped the big prize on an episode of Bullseye.

Who wants to stay in one of these for three months...apart from Njord and sjc...who seems to have disappeared again.

images-1.jpeg