Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

My PTTGOMN is the boozer I'm in switched the TVs over to BDO Women's darts at 2:57pm on a Saturday afternoon. What the f**k is that all about?

4 minutes ago, smpar said:

Surely that can't be true? :lol:

By the laws of probability (I think), at least some flights will have all paying passengers show up for the flight, and there's no chance the average punter would be told "sorry, we overbooked deliberately because we think some people won't show. It's okay though, we've got your flight to Tenerife for tomorrow evening, I'm sure you'll understand."

...and just accept that.

True.

They don't tell the punter that the overbooking is deliberate, right enough, but it's pretty much standard practice.  They try and get the punter on the next available flight to wherever they are going, ideally the same airline's next flight, but if not practical, then they book them onto some other airline's next flight.

Have been ready at the gate a few times (sitting waiting for my appropriate time to board, of course) when they start asking if anyone would be willing to go on another flight, followed a few minutes later with another announcement asking if anyone would be willing to go on another flight with added compensation.

There are usually no further announcements, and a separate queue forming!

28 minutes ago, smpar said:

Surely that can't be true? :lol:

By the laws of probability (I think), at least some flights will have all paying passengers show up for the flight, and there's no chance the average punter would be told "sorry, we overbooked deliberately because we think some people won't show. It's okay though, we've got your flight to Tenerife for tomorrow evening, I'm sure you'll understand."

...and just accept that.

Yes it happens and dependant on circumstances it can be fantastic as you get a fair wedge as compo. 

Yes it happens and dependant on circumstances it can be fantastic as you get a fair wedge as compo. 

It just seems like a bizarre concept to me, I suppose some folk won't feel too hacked off if it means they get a decent payout from it.

16 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

What kinda compo are you talking? Never knew this existed

You have to bargain with them but I've heard of people getting £150 plus hotel with taxis and a flight the next day for short haul. Great if you're not in a hurry.

What kinda compo are you talking? Never knew this existed

On the way back from Malta after Scotland game last year. Air Malta offered €500 to get off our Malta to Gatwick flight and fly Malta-Rome-Heathrow as flight overbooked.

Would have got to Heathrow an hour after due are Gatwick and only have 2 hours to get to Gatwick

Was tempted but as had an Easyjet Gatwick-Glasgow flight decided no.

Ran out of tobacco today about an hour before work and was gonna buy more on the way in but decided instead to not and to just chuck it.

So, petty things that get on my nerves? Absolutely fucking everything.

Especially the hipster p***k who came into work wearing a deer stalker and tutted at me.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Have been ready at the gate a few times (sitting waiting for my appropriate time to board, of course) when they start asking if anyone would be willing to go on another flight, followed a few minutes later with another announcement asking if anyone would be willing to go on another flight with added compensation.

There are usually no further announcements, and a separate queue forming!

I was flying back from Bristol with BA years ago and they did that.  There was a later flight about 5 hours later and the compo covered the cost of my original flight and they gave me vouchers to spend at the bar.  

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Ran out of tobacco today about an hour before work and was gonna buy more on the way in but decided instead to not and to just chuck it.

So, petty things that get on my nerves? Absolutely fucking everything.

Especially the hipster p***k who came into work wearing a deer stalker and tutted at me.

What did he tutt at you for? You have to treat the withdrawal as a new drug that you haven't tried before. Have a single pint of lager after work and you'll see what I mean. Glorious.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

What did he tutt at you for?

He buzzed to get in and, before he got to where I sit, the phone had started ringing. So I answered the phone. He got here and saw me on the phone, tutted, and walked back out.

8 hours without a fag now. Which is probably the longest I've went without one in a year or so.

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

9 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

He buzzed to get in and, before he got to where I sit, the phone had started ringing. So I answered the phone. He got here and saw me on the phone, tutted, and walked back out.

You're taking shit off some c**t who thinks he's Sherlock Holmes? Get in there and get him volleyed!

I had the issue with easyjet of being overbooked, was flying Glasgow to Heathrow on a Sunday for work, tried to check in on line to get an error message saying I had to go to airport to check in, arrived to be told it was overbooked and they could fly me on the late flight. I went nuts about losing out on a Sunday shift etc and they gave me the wages I would have earned, the flight at night for free and gave my work the money back for the original flight.

So I got paid for going home and sitting on my arse for the day and flying down at night to work for the rest of the week. It was only after this I discovered that they deliberately over booked the flight and tend to do this with every flight 

6 hours ago, bobbykdy said:

Speedy boarding :lol:

Never have I laughed harder than when the fuds who have paid for this simply end up first on (and as a result last off) the bus which is taxing them along the runway to the plane itself.

HMRC b*****ds get everywhere.