Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Conversation with her, keeping her amused by chatting. This used to be "a thing", engaging with your kids. Even tossers like me managed it.

Probably becaUe back when your kids were toddlers you didn’t have the technology to shut them up for a few minutes so you could enjoy a meal in peace.

39 minutes ago, throbber said:

What exactly do you want the parents to play with her in the middle of a restaurant?

Give her some crayons and a colouring book if they really can't be arsed interacting with her for a few minutes until the food arrives.

If you are going somewhere fancy enough that you need to keep your child quiet then you can afford a baby sitter for a few hours. A book is far better than a tablet if you must stick something in front of the child

Give her some crayons and a colouring book if they really can't be arsed interacting with her for a few minutes until the food arrives.

Yeah crayons might work for a while, although there’s every chance the child might eat a crayon or toss the crayon about and it’s 100% likely to make a mess. The easiest thing to do to buy you a bit of time is by putting an episode of something like peppa on your phone and you might get 10 minutes of peace and quiet to enjoy a meal, pint, coffee etc which is a lot of time if you have been up with the little b*****d all day.

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

Yeah crayons might work for a while, although there’s every chance the child might eat a crayon or toss the crayon about and it’s 100% likely to make a mess. The easiest thing to do to buy you a bit of time is by putting an episode of something like peppa on your phone and you might get 10 minutes of peace and quiet to enjoy a meal, pint, coffee etc which is a lot of time if you have been up with the little b*****d all day.

There are ways to keep kids quiet and occupied without ruining the experience for other diners by having your phone blaring out.

Really if you want peace and quiet from your child, leave her with a babysitter. If you want to go out as a family, interact as a family. My kids are old enough to go off by themselves and wander round the kids' play area inside the restaurant, but when they were smaller I'd find something quiet for them to do at the table, even if we had no toys to hand and it was building a fort or whatever out of menus and salt pots.

There are ways to keep kids quiet and occupied without ruining the experience for other diners by having your phone blaring out.

Really if you want peace and quiet from your child, leave her with a babysitter. If you want to go out as a family, interact as a family. My kids are old enough to go off by themselves and wander round the kids' play area inside the restaurant, but when they were smaller I'd find something quiet for them to do at the table, even if we had no toys to hand and it was building a fort or whatever out of menus and salt pots.

Ruining the experience for other diners? [emoji23]Christ almighty.

You originally said it was toddlers who this was happening to at the restaurants, most toddlers just pick up one item and then get bored of it and drop it and move onto another item, they aren’t all able to build forts out of menus at that sort of age.

Probably becaUe back when your kids were toddlers you didn’t have the technology to shut them up for a few minutes so you could enjoy a meal in peace.
Nah. I took it on the chin that entertaining the sprog was part of going out. It was actually fine.

Nah. I took it on the chin that entertaining the sprog was part of going out. It was actually fine.

I’m talking about a 17 month old girl at places like Costa, Toby’s carvery and the Village Hotel in Pilton just in case we’re getting a bit mixed up here. We don’t have the tv on very much for her and I agree about having better interaction with your kids but it’s still a bit wankish to go and complain that parents and putting peppa on their phones in a restaurant as if it’s ruining the meal for you. Get a grip.

2 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

How the f**k did my parents cope when we went out for meals when I was a kid in the 60s/70s?

Oh.
Aye.

We were TAUGHT how to behave in public by parents who took RESPONSIBILITY.

Facebook for this pish

32 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

How the f**k did my parents cope when we went out for meals when I was a kid in the 60s/70s?

Probably got the nanny to watch you. Going out for meals as a family in the 60's? Posh basturts.

I’m talking about a 17 month old girl at places like Costa, Toby’s carvery and the Village Hotel in Pilton just in case we’re getting a bit mixed up here. We don’t have the tv on very much for her and I agree about having better interaction with your kids but it’s still a bit wankish to go and complain that parents and putting peppa on their phones in a restaurant as if it’s ruining the meal for you. Get a grip.

Totally agree. I have 3 kids and a phone for the weeist one is a godsend at times. At the right volume no one else hears the phone except her. The other 2 are old enough to get the fear and happily keep their pusses shut ken?