Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

12 hours ago, Malky3 said:

People who can't park their car properly

It’s beginning to get on my nerves that I’m getting worse at parking in the middle of a clearly defined space when there are no other cars in the neighbouring spaces.  Sometimes on my first go the wheels on one side’ll be on the line , meaning there’s a huge gap at the other side.

I’m  still probably the best in the world at parking in an empty space between two parked cars.

Sometimes lately , I’ve initially decided that my parking in a virtually empty car park is good enough , but then on reflection just after leaving the car , I’ve had to go back to make a better job of it.

Edited by A96

Why is putting up mirrors and pictures and stuff so fucking difficult?

It's incredibly petty and yet my level of anger is approaching dangerous. Fucking hooks and pishy wee nails that don't go in walls.

My newly painted living room wall is now scarred to f**k and the bloody mirror still isn't up! This seems to happen every fucking time.

It's incredibly petty and yet my level of anger is approaching dangerous. Fucking hooks and pishy wee nails that don't go in walls.

My newly painted living room wall is now scarred to f**k and the bloody mirror still isn't up! This seems to happen every fucking time.

Not sure what you find so difficult about it, if you use a screw and get it fairly secured into the plasterboard you shouldn’t even need to find a stud to support most paintings/mirrors and plasterboard fixings are easy to use for anything a bit heavier.

IMG-20191016-WA0015.jpeg

It should actually be Double V  , because it’s written as two V’s joined together , rather than two U’s.
Germans have the right idea .....they pronounce  it dooble-vay, or something like that
This doesn’t get on my nerves .Thought I’d just mention it.
Correct they do. They can gtf with the rest of their difficult language though.

56 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I half agree with you.  I revamped my wee yin's bedroom recently and it's all about the type of fixingings you use.  Stick-on attachments for the pictures, self-drilling attachments in to plasterboard for the mirror and traditional rawlplugs into a solid wall for her headboard and shelves.

It's a job I hate doing and her headboard is fixed by three screws/plugs on one said but only two on the other as the drill slipped when I was making the third hole.

IMG-20191016-WA0015.thumb.jpeg.01b9f31f9d4bbd06ad8f5c69e447e60c.jpeg
Was about to go looking for a link to these when I saw your post, they're great! When we moved house I had just been to homebase and got a huge mixed pack of rawl plugs and various different fixings for hanging stuff in preperation for all the DIY to be done when Mrs P saunters in with a handfull of packets of these and starts chucking up mirrors and all sorts in jig time!

IMG-20191016-WA0015.thumb.jpeg.01b9f31f9d4bbd06ad8f5c69e447e60c.jpeg
These are the b*****ds that fucked our wall (before I made it worse with the nails and picture hooks).

The mirror had a metal fixing on it to attach and so these strips didn't work as they needed a flat surface (which then wasn't going to touch the wall due to the fixing). My wife tried to be clever and double the strips up but the mirror fell after ten mins.

Do they only work when there's no fixing attached?

Not sure what you find so difficult about it, if you use a screw and get it fairly secured into the plasterboard you shouldn’t even need to find a stud to support most paintings/mirrors and plasterboard fixings are easy to use for anything a bit heavier.
I don't have a drill so screws are more difficult. Tried to use picture hooks with small tacks but they weren't string enough to go in the wall - and yet chipped the newly painted wall to f**k.

I don't have a drill so screws are more difficult. Tried to use picture hooks with small tacks but they weren't string enough to go in the wall - and yet chipped the newly painted wall to f**k.

You don’t need a drill. Do you not have a Philips head screwdriver lying about? You just need to apply a bit of pressure and screw in clockwise until the screw is mostly into the plasterboard and it will support most paintings and mirrors unless they are particularly heavy. For anything heavy get these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-Driva-Plasterboard-Fixings-Screws/dp/B009F154QU/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=plasterboard+fixings&qid=1571254515&sprefix=plasterboa&sr=8-3

I have never heard anyone say hanging paintings on walls is a hard DIY task. You are doing it wrong.

Is it a plasterboard wall you have? I have read your posts again and i jumped to a couple of conclusions.
Ok there's no doubt I'm doing it wrong - because I'm sure as hell not doing it right.

One of the problems could be that I'm not entirely sure what plasterboard is and whether my living room wall is made of it. It's a wall. In the living room. It's just been painted. Blue.

I'm not particularly great at DIY (which is a horrendous understatement). When I bought the house I was given a bag of tools by my dad which comprised of about six tools. Later on I was surprised to find out that there are actually more than six tools in existence.

8 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Ok there's no doubt I'm doing it wrong - because I'm sure as hell not doing it right.

One of the problems could be that I'm not entirely sure what plasterboard is and whether my living room wall is made of it. It's a wall. In the living room. It's just been painted. Blue.

I'm not particularly great at DIY (which is a horrendous understatement). When I bought the house I was given a bag of tools by my dad which comprised of about six tools. Later on I was surprised to find out that there are actually more than six tools in existence.

Hopefully one of the tools he gave you was something to find wires and pipes with, if not this thread is destined for gold.

Plasterboard walls are just thin sheets that are screwed on to wooden studs, they don’t have any strength outwith the studs and if you were hanging shelves up you would probably need to locate the wood but for paintings they will be able to hang off just the plasterboard. Have a look on YouTube and find out how to know it’s a plasterboard wall, unless it’s a very old house then it will surely be plasterboard.

8 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Take a run up an plant your head into the wall, if it goes through it's plasterboard, if not, you'll need to go to A&E.

He'll need to go to A&E if he hits a stud as well. 

Are you a gambler, Pandarilla? 

Eta: Oh for f**k sake. The amount of times I've started a post recently, been distracted, gone back to finish it and someone has already posted something similar or exactly the same in the meantime. 

Edited by Dee Man

10 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Take a run up an plant your head into the wall, if it goes through it's plasterboard, if not, you'll need to go to A&E.

This reminds me of a story I was told when I played golf at Buchanan Castle Golf Club. Apparently a true story. The land the course is on used to belong to some Laird or Lord, who, to impress his lady, planted out the estate with as many different tree species as he could find. One of which was some sort of Canadian tree, with a bark so soft and spongy, you can punch it with little effect. Fast-forward to the modern day, and at a function being held in the club, a member was chatting up a lassie, and to impress her, said ‘come outside for a minute, wait ‘til you see this’... guy runs up, punches a tree at full pelt - it’s the wrong tree. Breaks every bone in his right hand and is whisked off to hospital.