Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

44 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye, agreed. She should be getting them telt and refusing to join in.

Working from home doesn't mean people should be expected to be available all the time. Employers can't be allowed to get away with such shite, so she needs to let them know that such nonsense is unacceptable.

I said all of that. But apparantly i've to shoosh 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Div said:

Here you ya dobber, the quizzes were all advertised in the announcement bit of the forum 😁

Who goes in there? Also I think the correct reply was @ me next time 

7am is completely unacceptable. 

Our main working hours are to be anywhere between 7am and 6pm. As long as you do your stuff within that, it's all good but doesn't mean you should be working or be available the whole time. If you have to work beyond that, we've to mark it down for some insurance thingy. 

Has anyone ever achieved anything from a meeting or video call? Usually I come away drained and annoyed at some walloper taking over the meeting or someone talking pish about home life or boring stuff. Some of the office staff where I work have half a dozen meetings a day.

The earlier and earlier video call seems like a power trip, can’t stand the jumping through hoops stuff. It’s all designed to keep some fanny in a job, lighting fires and jumping up and down. We all know what we need to do, f**k off.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye, agreed. She should be getting them telt and refusing to join in.

Working from home doesn't mean people should be expected to be available all the time. Employers can't be allowed to get away with such shite, so she needs to let them know that such nonsense is unacceptable.

It's all about context here. When I worked in Australia we had a project involving people from across the world which meant it was impossible to schedule at a good time for everyone. The outcome was that we had to do 4am conference calls once a week for the best part of the year. Of course, I could have said no since it wasn't my contracted hours, but it was important for us to be involved in and I used to just go to bed early, get up, do the call (usually while watching the football on mute, since this was about 8pm in Europe), get a shower, have breakfast and go to the office, and would finish up at 2ish that day.

If it was just a bunch of chumps in the same country though, then they can f**k off.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's all about context here. When I worked in Australia we had a project involving people from across the world which meant it was impossible to schedule at a good time for everyone. The outcome was that we had to do 4am conference calls once a week for the best part of the year. Of course, I could have said no since it wasn't my contracted hours, but it was important for us to be involved in and I used to just go to bed early, get up, do the call (usually while watching the football on mute, since this was about 8pm in Europe), get a shower, have breakfast and go to the office, and would finish up at 2ish that day.

If it was just a bunch of chumps in the same country though, then they can f**k off.

I see your point, and think that in such circumstances a once a week thing would be fine, especially if you then finish earlier.

I'm willing to bet that this isn't the case here.

6 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I wonder if the video calls getting earlier and earlier are driven by the same folks who are the ones who used to stay later and later pre-covid? The new point scoring.

There's a moronic creep at my work who contacted the manager and said that she wasn't feeling well yesterday so had to take a couple of hours to lie down. Fair enough. However she was then adamant that she'd 'make up the time' and messaged the manager at something like 19.00. 

The manager is fairly new but is a massive jobsworth and a total corporate clown, but even she said it was fine and that the colleague didn't need to work the time back. I found about all of this because the person directly under the manager is also a bit of an idiot and, when sending a 'good morning' email this morning used the email chain of the conversation between moron colleague and jobsworth manager (she was copied in) to reply with her 'good morning' message to the moron and just added a bunch of us all in to the address line.

8 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I see your point, and think that in such circumstances a once a week thing would be fine, especially if you then finish earlier.

I'm willing to bet that this isn't the case here.

There's a moronic creep at my work who contacted the manager and said that she wasn't feeling well yesterday so had to take a couple of hours to lie down. Fair enough. However she was then adamant that she'd 'make up the time' and messaged the manager at something like 19.00. 

The manager is fairly new but is a massive jobsworth and a total corporate clown, but even she said it was fine and that the colleague didn't need to work the time back. I found about all of this because the person directly under the manager is also a bit of an idiot and, when sending a 'good morning' email this morning used the email chain of the conversation between moron colleague and jobsworth manager (she was copied in) to reply with her 'good morning' message to the moron and just added a bunch of us all in to the address line.

Pressing "Reply All", or whatever it is, can be very dangerous/embarrassing/hilarious depending on the context.

One of my old bosses was notorious for this.

Edited by Jacksgranda

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Pressing "Reply All", or whatever it is, can be very dangerous/embarrassing/hilarious depending on the context.

Especially dangerous when you work with your fiance.

Spoiler

image.png.bcf2c5c69ed561243fd2d87d2f2019bb.png

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2267824/Receptionist-fiance-left-red-faced-sends-email-discussing-sex-life-entire-office.html

12 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Has anyone ever achieved anything from a meeting or video call? Usually I come away drained and annoyed at some walloper taking over the meeting or someone talking pish about home life or boring stuff. Some of the office staff where I work have half a dozen meetings a day.

The earlier and earlier video call seems like a power trip, can’t stand the jumping through hoops stuff. It’s all designed to keep some fanny in a job, lighting fires and jumping up and down. We all know what we need to do, f**k off.

We've got regular all staff Zoom calls at the moment which I'm finding both useless and slightly annoying. Basically, an hour of the person organising them - who to date has never shown an iota of interest in people's lives outside of work but clearly has now been told to do so - going round people in a touchy-feely manner and giving it "But how ARE you...?"

Maybe it's just my general lack of empathy, but I've got next to zero interest in hearing about the bleak minutiae of the lives of people I only know through work. TBH if I happened to be one of the unfortunate ones having some sort of issues myself I defo wouldn't be sharing it in that kind of forum either.

Maybe that kind of approach really works for some people...I don't know. All I know is that in this instance one size does not fit all.

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

This wasn't that.

In the absence of a "infuriating things your grandparents do" thread I'll need to rant about this here.

My grandmother phoned me yesterday asking me to research a conference camera which would allow her to have a video conference with her friend and also her physiotherapist. According to her she had a phone call from Larbert hospital yesterday and her physiotherapist suggested she get herself a conference camera so that she could be shown how to do exercises, stretches etc. The fact that a particular brand and retailer was mentioned made me think this was likely to be someone trying to get money out of her but I couldn't find anything when I searched for known conoravirus scams. Apart from anything else she was having difficulty describing what the thing was so I promised to try to find out.

She then phoned me back some time later to say that her friend's son was going to try to get the thing for her in Falkirk. I knew fine that even if he did manage to buy what she was looking for that there was no way in hell she'd be able to set it up herself. Her husband is 80yo and had a heart transplant in 1999, and so, in the current climate, is being advised to shield heavily.

According to my grandmother the physiotherapist didn't object when she was told that I would buy the camera and come round to set it up. She is taking this to mean that it's fine for me to do so. Naturally I've told her that won't be happening but she is adamant that it's fine as long as I'm not showing symptoms.

She is now no longer speaking to me because she thinks I'm being difficult and that I grassed her up to my dad. :huh:

1 minute ago, Rizzo said:

In the absence of a "infuriating things your grandparents do" thread I'll need to rant about this here.

My grandmother phoned me yesterday asking me to research a conference camera which would allow her to have a video conference with her friend and also her physiotherapist. According to her she had a phone call from Larbert hospital yesterday and her physiotherapist suggested she get herself a conference camera so that she could be shown how to do exercises, stretches etc. The fact that a particular brand and retailer was mentioned made me think this was likely to be someone trying to get money out of her but I couldn't find anything when I searched for known conoravirus scams. Apart from anything else she was having difficulty describing what the thing was so I promised to try to find out.

She then phoned me back some time later to say that her friend's son was going to try to get the thing for her in Falkirk. I knew fine that even if he did manage to buy what she was looking for that there was no way in hell she'd be able to set it up herself. Her husband is 80yo and had a heart transplant in 1999, and so, in the current climate, is being advised to shield heavily.

According to my grandmother the physiotherapist didn't object when she was told that I would buy the camera and come round to set it up. She is taking this to mean that it's fine for me to do so. Naturally I've told her that won't be happening but she is adamant that it's fine as long as I'm not showing symptoms.

She is now no longer speaking to me because she thinks I'm being difficult and that I grassed her up to my dad. :huh:

Sounds like you’ve wrecked your gran’s plans to become a webcam girl.