Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

I've always called it "messages". We're not Yanks.

You're definitely old enough to get away with it, if your younger relatives call them "messages" get them telt. 

I've only ever heard "messages" in Scotland and ironically it sounds like something the yanks would say. What does it actually mean? Your food shopping is actually a form of communication??

It's absurd.

1 minute ago, dysartrovers said:
4 minutes ago, Stormzy said:
People calling their shopping/groceries "messages" where tf did that originate from? It's creepy and it's not part of your personality, stop it. 

It was always messages when I was growing up. Groceries is far worse

Your shopping? Need to pick up some "bits and pieces" from the shops. Some scran, some whatever you're actually buying. 

I'm granting a pass for those over the age of 55, everyone else needs to let this shit die out. 

2 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:
5 minutes ago, Stormzy said:
People calling their shopping/groceries "messages" where tf did that originate from? It's creepy and it's not part of your personality, stop it. 

It was always messages when I was growing up. Groceries is far worse

Same here, 'messages' or occasionally 'errands' were used when I was younger but I'd say 'shopping' is the general term these days. Never, never is it 'groceries'.

18 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

You're definitely old enough to get away with it, if your younger relatives call them "messages" get them telt. 

I've only ever heard "messages" in Scotland and ironically it sounds like something the yanks would say. What does it actually mean? Your food shopping is actually a form of communication??

It's absurd.

Shopping I'd use more generally, not just for food.  Messages is used because in the past typically the kids or even the maid would be sent with a shopping list (a message ) to the corner shop so it makes perfect sense.  The word groceries does originate in the UK but we saw sense and dropped it hunners of years ago - our American friends have not yet seen the light on this yet.

Edited by hk blues

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Shopping I'd use more generally, not just for food.  Messages is used because in the past typically the kids or even the maid would be sent with a shopping list (a message list) to the corner shop so it makes perfect sense.  The word groceries does originate in the UK but we saw sense and dropped it hunners of years ago - our American friends have not yet seen the light on this yet.

It seems unnecessary to change shopping list to message list. It sounds very robotic, you shouldn't need to explain the writing on a list is actually a "message" of some sort. It's kinda obvious considering it's written words. 

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

I already told you FFS.  

Do you understand how time works? Do you need a message in the form of a forum post to communicate how it works?

Just now, Stormzy said:

It seems unnecessary to change shopping list to message list. It sounds very robotic, you shouldn't need to explain the writing on a list is actually a "message" of some sort. It's kinda obvious considering it's written words. 

Again, it was given to kids and maids who were perhaps rather lacking in intelligence so it would be easier to give them the note and ask them to give a message to the shop staff.  

Just now, hk blues said:

Again, it was given to kids and maids who were perhaps rather lacking in intelligence so it would be easier to give them the note and ask them to give a message to the shop staff.  

Which makes sense until they start calling what they pick up from the shop "messages" unless they use their milk to communicate with the shop keeper that is. 

2 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Do you understand how time works? Do you need a message in the form of a forum post to communicate how it works?

I'm good.  There's another Americanism for you, good at what exactly?

3 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Which makes sense until they start calling what they pick up from the shop "messages" unless they use their milk to communicate with the shop keeper that is. 

Ach, it makes perfect sense how the "message list" could translate into the goods themselves becoming "messages".  Language isn't a science, it's an art!  

Just now, hk blues said:

Ach, it makes perfect sense how the "message list" could translate into the goods themselves becoming "messages".  Language isn't a science, it's an art!  

It makes sense in the way I can understand how people got something wrong and it's now "a thing". 

It shouldn't be though, it sounds stupid, usually society progresses and advances as children learn from the mistakes of their parents and learn new things to take forward. This shitty word could lead to a stalling in society's progress and be the downfall of our nation. 

Imagine if the aliens came down and heard that pish..

5 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

It makes sense in the way I can understand how people got something wrong and it's now "a thing". 

It shouldn't be though, it sounds stupid, usually society progresses and advances as children learn from the mistakes of their parents and learn new things to take forward. This shitty word could lead to a stalling in society's progress and be the downfall of our nation. 

Imagine if the aliens came down and heard that pish..

If the aliens came down and read your posts they would leave, pdq.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

"Take me to your leader, we have messages for him"

"He says not to bother, he's just done the big shop"

Edited by deej

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

No shit, they'd take me back to the top dog as quickly as possible. Wouldn't waste the effort on you though. 

56 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

It's a Scottish expression. Not sure of the etymology