Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

18 hours ago, scottsdad said:

The very first time we went on a foreign holiday was 1993. Dad had been to Spain in the 60s and it was mum's first time ever abroad. The tickets came through with the notice to be at the airport 2 hours ahead of the flight (which was at 9am). 

We showed up at 5.30 am "to be on the safe side". In the years since my folks have mellowed but always show up at least 2 hours beforehand. 

Don't most folk show up 2 hours or so before the flight time?  Maybe a bit less for domestic.  

3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Don't most folk show up 2 hours or so before the flight time?  Maybe a bit less for domestic.  

Anyone who doesn't is asking for bother. Ryanair baggage check in queues are horrible and that's before you reach security. Those who arrive less than two hours before are probably the same ones who buy airline food and run for a pee the second the seat belt signs go off.

19 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Last year I had two students in my class with the exact same name (including middle names). Making sure that the grades didn't get mixed up was a laborious chore. 

That's where I'd expect all that PhD learning would kick in.

17 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Anyone who doesn't is asking for bother. Ryanair baggage check in queues are horrible and that's before you reach security. Those who arrive less than two hours before are probably the same ones who buy airline food and run for a pee the second the seat belt signs go off.

Aye, Ryanair are dreadful as they (at EDI anyway) cram all their flights onto about 4 check in desks.

Easyjet, on the other hand, make it easy by having plenty bag drop terminals. A far more efficient and relaxing experience. An hour before departure is plenty.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Aye, Ryanair are dreadful as they (at EDI anyway) cram all their flights onto about 4 check in desks.

Easyjet, on the other hand, make it easy by having plenty bag drop terminals. A far more efficient and relaxing experience. An hour before departure is plenty.

It's not just the time to get through the airport, it's allowing for traffic on the way to the airport.  Maybe not so much of a problem for some airports but for others you need to legislate for significant traffic delays.  I used to live in North Manchester and the journey to Manchester Airport took anything from 30 minutes to 1hr 30 minutes on any given day/time of day.  So, you had to allow the 1hr 30 mins just in case.  Funnily enough, when we had to drive down to London it was easier to gauge time as the longer distance evened out the traffic jams. 

4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's not just the time to get through the airport, it's allowing for traffic on the way to the airport.  Maybe not so much of a problem for some airports but for others you need to legislate for significant traffic delays.  I used to live in North Manchester and the journey to Manchester Airport took anything from 30 minutes to 1hr 30 minutes on any given day/time of day.  So, you had to allow the 1hr 30 mins just in case.  Funnily enough, when we had to drive down to London it was easier to gauge time as the longer distance evened out the traffic jams. 

I leave my house 75 minutes before catching a flight from Inverness, and still have time for a pint before boarding. :)

10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm pretty lucky in that both Edinburgh & Glasgow are about 30mins drive for me. When I was flying semi regularly for work, it was always the early flights so the roads were quiet.

Traffic in Manchester is probably the worst I've ever driven in, so you have my sympathy for that!

19 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

People that get up and start queuing for the plane the second they're called. Last time I flew from Edinburgh I checked where the plane actually was when people lined up - it was over the Solway Firth !

I really don't get the plane thing. Everyone has an allocated seat, so getting on first doesn't help you in any way. Do they think the plane is liable to take off without the people at the end of the queue?

I have, however, noticed a correlation between the folk desperate to get on quickly, and the arseholes who block the aisle until they've arranged themselves and their shit 100% to their own satisfaction.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I really don't get the plane thing. Everyone has an allocated seat, so getting on first doesn't help you in any way. Do they think the plane is liable to take off without the people at the end of the queue?

I have, however, noticed a correlation between the folk desperate to get on quickly, and the arseholes who block the aisle until they've arranged themselves and their shit 100% to their own satisfaction.

I suppose some folk don't see any difference between sitting on the plane and sitting in the lounge, and they get first dibs on the overhead lockers as well as being able to settle in quickly.  Personally, the less time I have to sit on the plane the better, and hate the toing and froing as folk come on so being amongst the last few on is better but I can see why some may see it differently.  

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I leave my house 75 minutes before catching a flight from Inverness, and still have time for a pint before boarding. :)

If needed I could leave the house about an hour before for an international flight (all are international) and make it. Coming home from when I stepped of the plane, I could be in the house in 30-40 minutes. Absolutely spoilt.

When living in Indonesia the 40 minute drive and could take up to 4 hours and there was little rhyme of reason to how long it would take. That was a nightmare.

12 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I suppose some folk don't see any difference between sitting on the plane and sitting in the lounge, and they get first dibs on the overhead lockers as well as being able to settle in quickly.  Personally, the less time I have to sit on the plane the better, and hate the toing and froing as folk come on so being amongst the last few on is better but I can see why some may see it differently.  

Aye, that's how I see it too. The wife used to get priority seating as she was in a wheelchair, and it was more of an arseache having to wait on the plane while everyone else trooped past, bashing you with their carry-on luggage, farting in your face, and giving you the death stare like you were somehow getting better treatment than them.

7 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

If needed I could leave the house about an hour before for an international flight (all are international) and make it. Coming home from when I stepped of the plane, I could be in the house in 30-40 minutes. Absolutely spoilt.

When living in Indonesia the 40 minute drive and could take up to 4 hours and there was little rhyme of reason to how long it would take. That was a nightmare.

Our record in Hong Kong from getting off the plane and into the terminal to our front door was something like 40 minutes - that included picking up bags, getting the train to the city and a taxi up the road.  Needed everything to fall into place for that though.

On 26/08/2021 at 17:36, Dee Man said:

Seething. 

Halfway through making a Hello Fresh Italian Beef Ragu & Gnocchi dish only to discover there's no gnocchi or brown sugar. Brilliant. 

John Brown in your life. Never knew you could him suger