Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

My other half likes to listen to Classic FM. I can tolerate this up to a point, don't mind a bit of Chopin.

Every so often however you get "Land of Hope and Glory" and the likes. They will even play this after the news, with Putin's nonsense making the headlines. 

"wider still and wider, shall our bounds be set. God who made us mighty, make us mightier yet" 

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Not exclusive to our manor, apparently.....................

FWIW I think you could type in any post code :lol: 

image.png.7e07091b491af3f44a3736f23a73c3be.png

Loving the chast 🤔

On 03/04/2022 at 13:14, Newbornbairn said:

"Chest of draws"

Whit?

21 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

I remember pointing this folly out to an English teacher in a previous school I worked in when she wrote it in an email. She absolutely 100% believed that she was right. Stunning.

It would be right if she had a pile of sketches on her tits.

In the meejah, there's an assumption that places in Ingerlund are known to all whereas those in Scotland are unworthy of a mention as whogivesashit. Bad enough from Fleet Street/BBC London, but it's rife in Scotland too. Generally lazy journalism, can't be bothered correcting press puffs. And no sub-editors.

as in (from Saturday's Herald) "Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth has returned to it's home base following visits to Liverpool and Scotland". 

33 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

In the meejah, there's an assumption that places in Ingerlund are known to all whereas those in Scotland are unworthy of a mention as whogivesashit. Bad enough from Fleet Street/BBC London, but it's rife in Scotland too. Generally lazy journalism, can't be bothered correcting press puffs. And no sub-editors.

as in (from Saturday's Herald) "Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth has returned to it's home base following visits to Liverpool and Scotland". 

The addition to this is how they describe where places are. They will say,

Newquay in Cornwall,

Brighton in Sussex,

Scarborough in Yorkshire

thus offering to narrow where places are but it just,

Paisley in Scotland, Methil in Scotland, Arbroath in Scotland.

It just up there somewhere but we really don't care, and assume the majority don't care either.

England is 50,000 Sq miles and Scotland is 30,000,

But they are myriad of counties and areas worth breaking down and knowing about, we are just one big lump stuck on the top of the them.

10 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

The addition to this is how they describe where places are. They will say,

Newquay in Cornwall,

Brighton in Sussex,

Scarborough in Yorkshire

thus offering to narrow where places are but it just,

Paisley in Scotland, Methil in Scotland, Arbroath in Scotland.

It just up there somewhere but we really don't care, and assume the majority don't care either.

England is 50,000 Sq miles and Scotland is 30,000,

But they are myriad of counties and areas worth breaking down and knowing about, we are just one big lump stuck on the top of the them.

I'd imagine there's some flat capped whippet breeder in Sheffield infuriated that they never specified that Scarborough is in North Yorkshire. 

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I'd imagine there's some flat capped whippet breeder in Sheffield infuriated that they never specified that Scarborough is in North Yorkshire. 

They often do,

Lets see them mention Kilmarnock is in Ayrshire never mind East Ayrshire rather than just Scotland.

29 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Especially as they're a nuclear power.

It's the same when you watch quiz shows- it's amusing when you see English contestants totally puzzled over a Scottish question, even supposed clever ones like Oxbridge students on University Challenge.

Mind you my knowledge of the geography of Northern Ireland/the North of Ireland/The Failed Statelet/Jack's Granda's back gairden isn't the best. 

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

It's the same when you watch quiz shows- it's amusing when you see English contestants totally puzzled over a Scottish question, even supposed clever ones like Oxbridge students on University Challenge.

Mind you my knowledge of the geography of Northern Ireland/the North of Ireland/The Failed Statelet/Jack's Granda's back gairden isn't the best. 

Yup. A contestant on tipping point the other day thought king tut's wah wah tent was at Glastonbury....