Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

No sport that halts play for lunch can be described as exciting.

Not quite lunch*, but fitba stops play for a break as well.

Although we've all got players that come back on and play like they've had lunch, a cigar and a drink.

10 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The sport/game bit is easy. A sport is defined as “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.” Cricket clearly involves physical exertion and skill, so boxes ticked.

Test match cricket is the ultimate form of sport. You need skill, endurance, grit and determination to succeed. There are few better sights than a batter playing an expansive cover drive, or a bowler delivering a perfect swinging delivery that just nips off the seam before clattering in to the batter’s off stump. I love how the game can ebb and flow, with periods where the bat dominates and runs are scored, then a few wickets falling in succession completely changes the balance of the match. It’s such a tactical game, with plans laid over the course of hours and executed with such high levels of skill. It’s always fascinated me how the subtleties in the position of the bowler’s wrist make the ball swing in the air in one direction of the other. It can look so simple on tv, but seems impossible to replicate.

Saying it is the greatest sport on the planet always gets a rise on this forum, but it is a statement that a truly stand behind. It’s a wonderful , thrilling, exciting sport, and I absolutely love it. 

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The greatest, most exciting, most tense sporting passage of play of all time.  The embodiment of skill, endurance, grit and determination.

12 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Not quite lunch*, but fitba stops play for a break as well.

Although we've all got players that come back on and play like they've had lunch, a cigar and a drink.

A 15 minute break to allow folk some recovery isn't the same as stopping for an hour for lunch.

8 minutes ago, Left Back said:

The greatest, most exciting, most tense sporting passage of play of all time.  The embodiment of skill, endurance, grit and determination.

Look lads, I've no qualms with anyone who enjoys cricket but you're projecting your own biases in demanding everyone accepts it's an exciting sport. Sure, there might be periods where there's some excitement but over any given 4 day test there are large periods where spectators aren't even paying attention, because very little is happening. Golf (the actual best sport in the world) can have exciting finishes to tournaments but I'm under no illusions that for large parts of it it's not very exciting. It's not necessarily a criticism of the sport. 

56 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Depends where you are playing. Certain venues usually prompted a rush of availability due to the quality of the lunch on offer, others less so. Was always pleasant playing a venue with a public bar, which inevitably meant desperation to bowl first, a few half-hearted heaves across the line, followed by watching your mates trying to save the game while necking as much drink as you could get away with.

Not many sports in which you can be an active participant while sitting on your arse with a pint and a fag.

37 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

A 15 minute break to allow folk some recovery isn't the same as stopping for an hour for lunch.

Look lads, I've no qualms with anyone who enjoys cricket but you're projecting your own biases in demanding everyone accepts it's an exciting sport. Sure, there might be periods where there's some excitement but over any given 4 day test there are large periods where spectators aren't even paying attention, because very little is happening. Golf (the actual best sport in the world) can have exciting finishes to tournaments but I'm under no illusions that for large parts of it it's not very exciting. It's not necessarily a criticism of the sport. 

You think that's bad you should watch snooker. Some players stop for a full night's sleep then resume the next day. Fucking charlatans, stealing a living.

11 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The sport/game bit is easy. A sport is defined as “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.” Cricket clearly involves physical exertion and skill, so boxes ticked.

Test match cricket is the ultimate form of sport. You need skill, endurance, grit and determination to succeed. There are few better sights than a batter playing an expansive cover drive, or a bowler delivering a perfect swinging delivery that just nips off the seam before clattering in to the batter’s off stump. I love how the game can ebb and flow, with periods where the bat dominates and runs are scored, then a few wickets falling in succession completely changes the balance of the match. It’s such a tactical game, with plans laid over the course of hours and executed with such high levels of skill. It’s always fascinated me how the subtleties in the position of the bowler’s wrist make the ball swing in the air in one direction of the other. It can look so simple on tv, but seems impossible to replicate.

Saying it is the greatest sport on the planet always gets a rise on this forum, but it is a statement that a truly stand behind. It’s a wonderful , thrilling, exciting sport, and I absolutely love it. 

A well written, reasoned response sir. Thank you for taking the time. 

You like cricket. Which is fine. It's far from being the greatest sport on the planet. Any form of motorsport pisses all over it for starters. 

On 18/04/2022 at 22:37, Bully Wee Villa said:

However, I've known people make the effort to seek me out to take the piss when Villa have lost, then I ask who they support and they say "oh I don't follow a team". Absolute weirdos. If you don't have a dog in the fight, f**k off.

If this was on P&B, the answer always turns out to be "Celtgers".

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

And to infuriate you even further: him and his stupid haircut apparently pulled her.

d83c7328273ec66895efbe577405c336.jpg

That's one of those modern rubber sex dolls, isn't it?

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

You think that's bad you should watch snooker. Some players stop for a full night's sleep then resume the next day. Fucking charlatans, stealing a living.

Golfers as well.   Stroll about for 3 hours then take a break until the next day.  Lazy fuckers.  If they had to jog between holes they could get the tournament done in a day so it takes up less TV time.

2 hours ago, Left Back said:

I clicked on that and saw the duration was 5:58. By watching that clip I would double the number of minutes I have watched of cricket in my life.

I am therefore not willing to subject myself to that. Give me something in less than 5 seconds to summarise the embodiment of skill, endurance, grit and determination and I might consider it. 

4 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

I clicked on that and saw the duration was 5:58. By watching that clip I would double the number of minutes I have watched of cricket in my life.

I am therefore not willing to subject myself to that. Give me something in less than 5 seconds to summarise the embodiment of skill, endurance, grit and determination and I might consider it. 

I'm not sleeping with you.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I think you're being quite harsh on snooker players, it's a very tough game. I wouldn't describe snooker as exciting either though.