Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

2 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Easily one of the best clips ever to be broadcast. At which point on planning this did they imagine videoing it would be a good idea?

I've always found milk first stops the bag from floating.

Doesn't it float to the top anyway when you add the hot water?  Mines usually do but, as I said, we use cheap shite tea bags.  

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Folk who preach that the 'proper' way to make tea is to put the milk in first.

Erm, no. That was a forced order back in the day to minimise cracking of the cup, absolutely f*** all to do with the taste.  If the cups could handle it, royalty would have been dedicated tea-first aficionados .

The proper way to make tea does not involve milk at any point.

Just now, Boo Khaki said:

The proper way to make tea does not involve milk at any point.

My older brother liked really weak tea. My dad liked it really strong. Dad used to call my brother's tea "weasel's water". My brother used to call my Dad's tea "the black death".

Funny old world. 

Regardless of the strength required, it's water in, then milk . Anything else is an abomination.

1 minute ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

My older brother liked really weak tea. My dad liked it really strong. Dad used to call my brother's tea "weasel's water". My brother used to call my Dad's tea "the black death".

Funny old world. 

Regardless of the strength required, it's water in, then milk . Anything else is an abomination.

Although I don't take milk in tea or coffee, when I am making tea for people who do, the only practical method that actually results in a cup of tea is milk added after the brew.

For those that don't think it makes a difference, go pour yourself a cup of hot water from the tap, which is usually somewhere around 60-65 degrees, then stick your teabag in it, then stand back and watch in awe as nothing much happens.

Tea absolutely requires near-boiling water to infuse.

The proper way to make tea is in a teapot, then when you pour it into a cup the individual can decide to have milk in first or not. Having said that, I'm lazy and always make it in the cup, so for me water first, teabag out then milk in. Putting the milk in first means the water's not hot enough to brew the tea. 

Also, apparently you need to let it brew for 3 minutes to let the healthy antioxidants be released.

54 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I'm used to it extremely strong, but that's an acquired taste after many years of putting the water in only to forget about it for half an hour. 

So... water --> microwave --> milk.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Although I don't take milk in tea or coffee, when I am making tea for people who do, the only practical method that actually results in a cup of tea is milk added after the brew.

For those that don't think it makes a difference, go pour yourself a cup of hot water from the tap, which is usually somewhere around 60-65 degrees, then stick your teabag in it, then stand back and watch in awe as nothing much happens.

Tea absolutely requires near-boiling water to infuse.

That would be news to the cold brew cult over here. There’s also another bunch of heretics that put out teabags and cold water in a glass container to brew slowly in the sun. Iced tea or death 90%+ of the time around here.

8 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Saw a family of four all yakking away on chewing gum. Enraging.

On 07/08/2023 at 16:16, jimbaxters said:

People eating on public transport. Long journeys I understand but today a lad got on the train at Glasgow Central, sat behind us whilst smashing two Greggs sausage rolls and slugging a can of Monster, before getting off at Pollokshaws one stop later. I know it's sitting down time for him but do we all need to see, hear and smell him eating in the three minutes he is on the train.

In my head this is you. 

wtf-disbelief.gif