Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

RBS own website states you need proof of ID for the child (i.e. passport) and proof of ID and address for YOU (the adult applicant). Absolutely no requirement to prove where the child resides. This is, of course, dependent upon you being a current RBS customer.

https://www.rbs.co.uk/current-accounts/childrens-accounts/revolve_account.html#:~:text=Provide proof of ID (like,ll get an instant decision.

Rejected, along with an email saying the proof of address has to be in her name. 

56 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Rejected, along with an email saying the proof of address has to be in her name. 

Seriously, go somewhere else.

7 minutes ago, Peil said:

Seriously, go somewhere else.

Go to Revolut, or GoHenry or Starling

All offer online kids accounts and take minutes to do, and when done don't forget to email RBS to explain their system has lost a 14 year old as potential customer for life.

Language barriers. Recently moved country and don't speak Spanish. Learning again that language or the lack of it, can make you feel like an utter moron. No amount of, "it will take time" platitudes are enough.

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

RBSholes

That's weird, my son had a kids account with them until he became a student and flipped it to a taxdodgers account.

Sure we didn't need any of the nonsense you've been asked for.

Why are plain crisps marketed as 'Ready Salted'? I know the salt used to come in a wee blue twist of paper that you added yourself, until some genius came up with the idea of adding the salt at the factory, which meant they truly were 'ready salted' and people had to know that to  save them hunting for the blue bag that wasn't there. But that was nigh-on sixty years ago so surely people have got the message by now?

10 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

The overuse/misuse of the word 'across' on BBC Radio Scotland.

We've been across this story today...

Reporter Joe Bloggs has been across the facts for us...

Listeners who've been across the radio today will be familiar...

I've not heard this anywhere else but now I can't unhear it, several times a day.

They use it on Sportsound as well, and usually in the middle of a barefaced lie.

"We'll keep you across all the other games, but our focus is on the game from Ibrox/Celtic Park..."

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I’d love for you to walk into an RBS with a printout of their own rules and their rejection letter and ask the Branch Manager “What the f**k is wrong with you people?”

4 hours ago, GordonD said:

Why are plain crisps marketed as 'Ready Salted'? I know the salt used to come in a wee blue twist of paper that you added yourself, until some genius came up with the idea of adding the salt at the factory, which meant they truly were 'ready salted' and people had to know that to  save them hunting for the blue bag that wasn't there. But that was nigh-on sixty years ago so surely people have got the message by now?

Coca Cola hasn't had any cocaine in it for years and they still refer to it in the name.

And there was no heroin in Sugar Smacks either

7 hours ago, scottsdad said:

If she's 14 doesn't she have a YoungScot card and/or letters from school they would accept? Or a doctors letter?

I'm with Barclays myself because I moved to England at the time and they were the only bank that would accept my provisional and birth certificate. Daughter got a linked child account when she was about 8 maybe with just her birth certificate and possibly a school letter.

23 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Coca Cola hasn't had any cocaine in it for years and they still refer to it in the name.

And there was no heroin in Sugar Smacks either

Yeah but you can get tins that come with a wee sachet so you can add your own.

42 minutes ago, AnderooMFC said:

If she's 14 doesn't she have a YoungScot card

Don't get me started on them! Trying to get my 14 year old her one sorted as the original went to an old address... Think it would be easier opening an RBS credit card account for her!

10 hours ago, AnderooMFC said:

If she's 14 doesn't she have a YoungScot card and/or letters from school they would accept? Or a doctors letter?

I'm with Barclays myself because I moved to England at the time and they were the only bank that would accept my provisional and birth certificate. Daughter got a linked child account when she was about 8 maybe with just her birth certificate and possibly a school letter.

She has a Young Scot card and that was accepted OK. They needed that in addition to proof of address. 

Anyway, by way of an update we got home yesterday and found a reminder letter from the optician for her. Let's see if that is acceptable (addressed to "The Parents/Guardians of...")

10 hours ago, TxRover said:

I’d love for you to walk into an RBS with a printout of their own rules and their rejection letter and ask the Branch Manager “What the f**k is wrong with you people?”

That would result in a minter as we say in Dundee.

Here is what the website says - what are you seeing that's different?

1. Provide proof of ID (like a passport), plus proof of your current address for yourself and the child or teen you’re opening the account for.

20 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

She has a Young Scot card and that was accepted OK. They needed that in addition to proof of address. 

Anyway, by way of an update we got home yesterday and found a reminder letter from the optician for her. Let's see if that is acceptable (addressed to "The Parents/Guardians of...")

The pedantic c***s will reject that on the basis it's not addressed to your daughter and only shows where you live, not her. In fairness, they'd be right but the initial problem is their stupid requirement.  

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I bet they wouldn't be giving you this many problems if you were trying to sign her up for a credit card or a loan!