Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

17 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

What is a Blue Light discount card? I'm slightly nervous to google it.

Started off as people in the emergency services could get a discount at some places, 10/20% off depending on who accepted it. Didn't stop people in back office roles signing up either, but it's a commercial thing anyway. 

Seems to be good moaning 'why should they get it' it's not coming out of their pockets so what's the grump?

4 minutes ago, Peil said:

Seems to be good moaning 'why should they get it' it's not coming out of their pockets so what's the grump?

I suppose the argument would be that if some people are getting discounts then the prices have to increase for the company to make the same profit. So say teachers are 1% of the customer base and get a 10% discount, then prices have to increase by 0.1% for the shop to still earn the same revenue (then there are the costs of implementing the scheme). So your £10 Primark hoodie is now an extortionate £10.01, just so some scrounging teachers can save a bit of money to spend on their months of holiday!

8 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

"Small plates" and "Large plates" (or other such nonsense) on menus. Who sees that sort of nonsense and thinks it's hip? There's nothing wrong with "Starters" and "Mains".

Padron Peppers, EVOO, Flaked Sea Salt.       11.5

13 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Things hanging down off ceiling, in particular lights.  Why the f**k is it fitted 3ft off the ceiling to create an unnecessary hazard that will inevitably be headbutted? 

It could be left over from the days of gas lighting- you wouldn't want a gas light close to your ceiling. 

Also a 100 watt filament bulb created a bit of heat so perhaps it was wise to keep them 3 feet away from the ceiling

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Padron Peppers, EVOO, Flaked Sea Salt.       11.5

This always reminds me of an old maths teacher I had. When doing algebra, if the answer to a question was "7x" and someone only said "7" he'd always respond with "7 what? Bananas?".

Hence whenever I see this menu pricing style I automatically think they want paid in bananas.

21 hours ago, coprolite said:

Mrs Coprolite likes to booby trap the garden so if i'm out playing "football" or "badminton" with the kids i'll almost always end up being struck behind the ear by a bird feeder and getting a load of niger seeds down my back. 

Funnily enough (not actually funny) I headbutted the A/C bracket in our garden last night which resulted in a fair amount of blood, a headache and a nice scar.  

13 hours ago, Peil said:

Started off as people in the emergency services could get a discount at some places, 10/20% off depending on who accepted it. Didn't stop people in back office roles signing up either, but it's a commercial thing anyway. 

I guess the point is it's an 'exclusive' scheme and not open to all so naturally those who aren't able to join feel disgruntled that others who they perceive don't really qualify can. 

16 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Funnily enough (not actually funny) I headbutted the A/C bracket in our garden last night which resulted in a fair amount of blood, a headache and a nice scar.  

You were right the first time. That's funny. 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

You were right the first time. That's funny. 

You'll be next on the headbutt list.

You'll need to wait for the scar to go, though. 

22 hours ago, coprolite said:

Mrs Coprolite likes to booby trap the garden so if i'm out playing "football" or "badminton" with the kids i'll almost always end up being struck behind the ear by a bird feeder and getting a load of niger seeds down my back. 

This reminds me of an old wooden garage my dad had. One day I found a tennis ball hanging from a string in it so of course I gave it a few whacks until it came off. I wasn't able to reach where it had been nailed so just tied it round one of the beams close by. 

My dad had measured it so that the ball touched the windscreen of the car when it was far enough in. Wasn't there when he crashed into the back wall of the shed but he was livid!

There's a song getting played on the radio just now that's utterly dreadful.  No different from most of them, but this one absolutely boils my pish for a couple of reasons. 

It's one of these ones that's destined to be sped up and remixed and requested by morons every week on the GBX on Radio Clyde.  This isn't the worst part though. It contains the line "when the camera flashy, I act so happy".

Everyone involved should be shot. 

25 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

This reminds me of an old wooden garage my dad had. One day I found a tennis ball hanging from a string in it so of course I gave it a few whacks until it came off. I wasn't able to reach where it had been nailed so just tied it round one of the beams close by. 

My dad had measured it so that the ball touched the windscreen of the car when it was far enough in. Wasn't there when he crashed into the back wall of the shed but he was livid!

I see where you get it from now.

10 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

This always reminds me of an old maths teacher I had. When doing algebra, if the answer to a question was "7x" and someone only said "7" he'd always respond with "7 what? Bananas?".

Hence whenever I see this menu pricing style I automatically think they want paid in bananas.

My physics teacher must have been splitting his time between Lanarkshire and Fife, that is my exact thought whenever I see that and also the response I give to my kids whenever they don't specify units 😂

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

There's a song getting played on the radio just now that's utterly dreadful.  No different from most of them, but this one absolutely boils my pish for a couple of reasons. 

It's one of these ones that's destined to be sped up and remixed and requested by morons every week on the GBX on Radio Clyde.  This isn't the worst part though. It contains the line "when the camera flashy, I act so happy".

Everyone involved should be shot. 

This one?