N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Have to say well done to the Devils for making it to the final but it was always going to be one step too far for them, just cannot see them clawing back from 3-0 in the series and I think LA will wrap it up in 4. LA's away performances have been the big key for them in the playoffs, I think they have won 10 straight or something. This is easily the hardest matchup NJ has faced so far as Florida were really only making up the numbers in the playoffs even though they did push them more than what NJ should have allowed them to, Philly are always decent competition and a rival for them too so never easy and NY Rangers were coming off less time off and harder matches against Ottawa and Washington and I think they just tired out and relied too much on their defensive game to have any chance of beating NJ. Anyway hopefully the Habs have a far better season next season than the dismal showing this season, surely can't get much worse!

Devs still hanging in there. Two hard fought wins gets it back to 2-3. Would be amazing to get them back to NJ to try and win the Cup. :o

Think Doc mentioned in commentary at the end that it's the first time in 60 odd years a team has clawed back two games after losing the first three.

Wish Kovalchuk would show up or just sit it out. A liability and not doing anything for us.

• 1 month later...

So... there's another lockout on the horizon it seems. Gary Bettman is the worst thing that's ever happened to this league. I'm starting to believe the conspiracy theory about him having been put in his position to ruin the NHL since it was becoming more popular than the NBA.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/hockey/nhl/08/09/nhl-lockout-gary-bettman.ap/index.html

So... there's another lockout on the horizon it seems. Gary Bettman is the worst thing that's ever happened to this league. I'm starting to believe the conspiracy theory about him having been put in his position to ruin the NHL since it was becoming more popular than the NBA.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/hockey/nhl/08/09/nhl-lockout-gary-bettman.ap/index.html

Cunt. He's like Doncaster and Reagan.

I want to try and get into hockey. I like the sound of the Montreal Canadiens. They have a cool name and logo. Plus being French Canadians seems like it gives them a sort of "f**k off, we'll do what we want" individuality. cool.gif

Where do you live? There are 4 professional hockey teams in Scotland in the UK Elite League; Braehead (Glasgow), Edinburgh, Dundee and Fife (Kirkcaldy), if you're interested in following it a bit closer to home as well.

When does the hockey season start. I'm heading over to Toronto for a couple of weeks in December and fancy taking in a game. My mate who's over there the now says the Maple leafs are extremely hard to get tickets for. Apparently the Marlies who play below the NHL are easier and cheaper to acquire tickets, but still a great night out

When does the hockey season start. I'm heading over to Toronto for a couple of weeks in December and fancy taking in a game. My mate who's over there the now says the Maple leafs are extremely hard to get tickets for. Apparently the Marlies who play below the NHL are easier and cheaper to acquire tickets, but still a great night out

Depending on who the Maple Leafs are playing, you're probably looking at $80-100 Canadian for the cheapest seats, but you will be able to get them if you're desperate to go. I'd agree with the idea of going to see the Marlies, I used to go and see the Giants in Vancouver more than the Canucks and it was typically $10 or less and you were really close to the action, whereas in the cheapest seats at the Maple Leafs it's pretty hard to get a good idea of what's going on if it's your first game.

As easy as it is to call Bettman a c**t, which he most certainly is, it's really up to the owners of each team. It's essentially billionaires (owners) arguing with millionaires (most of the players).

It's especially productive in terms of making hockeys fans not want to care by reminding them what an atrocious business this is.

If I was still working for the Toronto Maple Leafs I would have been able to get you half price tickets mate but im back home in Australia now unfortunately. You can always try the ticket office in the concourse of the Air Canada Centre near the walkway through to Union Station 1-2 days before the game you wish to see and ask them what they have available because I know they don't sell out all their games even though alot of people say every game is a sell-out, but still some seats are always available. If your desperate enough you can always get one of the many scalpers who stand outside the ACC and outside Union Station before the game, some even stand there during the day long before the game has started. The Air Canada Centre is a really good stadium and you get a good view from everywhere although I have never sat way up the top but its structured in a way that you get a decent view no matter where. If you cant get a ticket to a Leafs game then as Virtual Insanity has said the Marlies would definitely be a good option to go and see. They play at a much smaller arena and the quality on offer is still a very high level and also cheaper to see. If you have any other questions about the Maple Leafs mate you would like to ask then feel free to PM me or just ask on here. Hope you have a nice time in Toronto anyway!

As easy as it is to call Bettman a c**t, which he most certainly is, it's really up to the owners of each team. It's essentially billionaires (owners) arguing with millionaires (most of the players).

It's especially productive in terms of making hockeys fans not want to care by reminding them what an atrocious business this is.

I'm well aware he's just the mouthpiece, and the league has taken a marked upturn in revenue since the salary cap came in. It's just so hard to like the guy.

Last time I was with the owners: the Cap was a great idea. This time they're only saying that they want more money. Nothing about making the game better. The players have said that if teams aren't making money they should do more revenue sharing rather than punishing the players for bad business practice by some team owners.

So yeah. I'm with the players this time.

Depending on who the Maple Leafs are playing, you're probably looking at $80-100 Canadian for the cheapest seats, but you will be able to get them if you're desperate to go. I'd agree with the idea of going to see the Marlies, I used to go and see the Giants in Vancouver more than the Canucks and it was typically $10 or less and you were really close to the action, whereas in the cheapest seats at the Maple Leafs it's pretty hard to get a good idea of what's going on if it's your first game.

If I was still working for the Toronto Maple Leafs I would have been able to get you half price tickets mate but im back home in Australia now unfortunately. You can always try the ticket office in the concourse of the Air Canada Centre near the walkway through to Union Station 1-2 days before the game you wish to see and ask them what they have available because I know they don't sell out all their games even though alot of people say every game is a sell-out, but still some seats are always available. If your desperate enough you can always get one of the many scalpers who stand outside the ACC and outside Union Station before the game, some even stand there during the day long before the game has started. The Air Canada Centre is a really good stadium and you get a good view from everywhere although I have never sat way up the top but its structured in a way that you get a decent view no matter where. If you cant get a ticket to a Leafs game then as Virtual Insanity has said the Marlies would definitely be a good option to go and see. They play at a much smaller arena and the quality on offer is still a very high level and also cheaper to see. If you have any other questions about the Maple Leafs mate you would like to ask then feel free to PM me or just ask on here. Hope you have a nice time in Toronto anyway!

Cheers for the info. I'm not overly fussed who I see to be honest. Would prefer the Maple leafs, as I'd imagine the crowd would add to the atmosphere, but as long as I get to a game, can see some action and get a pint I'll be fine

• 1 month later...