The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I'd say England have a slight advantage,  but if the night watchman becomes a pest for an hour in the morning it could get interesting.

It's been a good test match overall, But what are England going to do when broad and Anderson pack it in, probably at the same time?

2 hours ago, rowsdower said:

It's been a good test match overall, But what are England going to do when broad and Anderson pack it in, probably at the same time?

It's been a brilliant test! The Anderson/Broad conundrum, and you can probably chuck Stokes in there too, is why they have started playing the likes of Robinson now. They clearly still hold some hope (I don't) of Archer playing test matches again and they have Carse, Mahmood and Stone for the next 10ish years 

Would be a total travesty if this test match, which has ebbed and flowed so much, with both sides in the ascendancy at times and superb individual performances from the likes of Root, Broad, Lyon and Khawalja were to end in a draw because of the weather. 

40 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Would be a total travesty if this test match, which has ebbed and flowed so much, with both sides in the ascendancy at times and superb individual performances from the likes of Root, Broad, Lyon and Khawalja were to end in a draw because of the weather. 

The one thing I always find astounding is the hard and fast finish on the preset time rules. Day 3 was obviously a near washout and they played an extra half hour last night to make up some of the shortfall. I can never quite get my head around losing overs in the height of summer when they can comfortably play on past 6.30. Think 6 overs were lost on day 1, and a few on day 2 as well.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

The one thing I always find astounding is the hard and fast finish on the preset time rules. Day 3 was obviously a near washout and they played an extra half hour last night to make up some of the shortfall. I can never quite get my head around losing overs in the height of summer when they can comfortably play on past 6.30. Think 6 overs were lost on day 1, and a few on day 2 as well.

Interestingly there's no time limit today, outwith conditions, they just try and get through the allocated overs. Why don't they just have this every day? 

5 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Interestingly there's no time limit today, outwith conditions, they just try and get through the allocated overs. Why don't they just have this every day? 

And that's what makes it all the more bizarre. They've said there will be a minimum of 67 overs available, God knows how they work that out when the whole morning and a bit of the afternoon was lost.

9 minutes ago, Albertlegend said:

What is bazball? Seen it mentioned a few times! 

Unconventional attacking test cricket like playing one day shots in situations where you’d expect the team to maybe consolidate. Named after the England coach Brendan McCollum. Best example of it in this match is the 1st day declaration with only 8 wickets down. Funnily enough it looks to have cost them this test.

13 minutes ago, Angus_Don said:

Unconventional attacking test cricket like playing one day shots in situations where you’d expect the team to maybe consolidate. Named after the England coach Brendan McCollum. Best example of it in this match is the 1st day declaration with only 8 wickets down. Funnily enough it looks to have cost them this test.

You say that…

Bazball is basically the polar opposite of traditional test cricket which sees anything over three runs an over as being careless abandon.  It’s all about imposing will by forcing the game at all stages.  Put it this way, if England were chasing the total, they’d have reached it or been bowled out about an hour ago. 

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

You say that…

Bazball is basically the polar opposite of traditional test cricket which sees anything over three runs an over as being careless abandon.  It’s all about imposing will by forcing the game at all stages.  Put it this way, if England were chasing the total, they’d have reached it or been bowled out about an hour ago. 

I’m not being critical of it, I actually think it’s the only way England compete in this series and by God it’s entertaining as hell.

Edited by Angus_Don

6 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

Fascinating finish to this. Australia lacking ambition to go for the win is costing them dearly.

Once the new ball comes the game could be wrapped up by England in 2/3 overs but if the bowlers don't get it right the runs could come quicklly, like I said Oldskool!