The Cricket Thread

bewlay

England's win just shows that no matter how much Test Match cricket changes on the surface the old rules still apply and chasing 200-250 on a Fourth Innings pitch is never a gimme!

I just heard that current Liverpool and District Comp top dog, Ormskirk CC were giving out free bevvy, in honour of their former bowler.  Will be an interesting season for the Mighty Lancashire, with both Tom Hartley and Nathan Lyon on the books....

On 28/01/2024 at 15:47, Scorge said:

Both games further proof that test cricket still whips the rest IMO.

23 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

It’s probably my favourite sport when tests are this good. 

You get to a stage in these sorta Test matches where the tension just grows and the first 2½ where India were on top just seems to extrapolate this and I agree there is nothing else in sport that quite matches it. Below is the cricinfo summary at Teatime on Day 3 where they are predicting a win for India - anyone backing England at this stage would've made a pretty penny.

Thought we'd get one more over, but nope, that is tea. It's been a compelling session, one in which India have tightened their grip on this contest with a succession of wonderballs. Jadeja's two-card trick to Bairstow and Ashwin's humdinger to Stokes were the killer blows, but Ollie Pope has been excellent. And as for Jasprit Bumrah, he is just a masterful seam bowler who transcends all conditions. India will win this Test, surely, but England have had their moments in adversity.  Hemant will be back shortly.

This looks a better batting track than the first test but India very well set. England's spinners look comfortable playing a containing role without looking dangerous in terms of taking a wicket. Cue the Indian spinners coming on and getting all sorts of crazy bounce and turn. 

England did well this morning to not do their usual and allow the tail to add 100+, India all out for 396.

Another good start from England, but have gone from 114-1 to 229-8, largely down to a couple of brilliant spells by Bumrah.

Is there something odd going on with the Saffer team? I'm not as up to date with international cricket as I was but I've heard of about 3 of these guys (Petersen, Paterson and Olivier) . Plus I've just googled the captain and he's making his test debut. 

Contract disputes or clash with T20 leagues? 

Screenshot_20240203_232651_Chrome.jpg