The Cricket Thread

bewlay

On 28/04/2024 at 04:26, die hard doonhamer said:

Played a pre-season game yesterday. I’ve never been so cold on a cricket pitch, I was sat scoring the book in our batting innings with 5 layers on. Late April should not be this cold. 

I started bowling with tennis balls last week in an attempt to make another comeback. I'd played 25 straight seasons until covid, and haven't thrown anything since. My arm didn't fall off, so we're still on track.

Also been playing the cricket game on meta quest to get my eye in. It's not the same, but still fun.

2 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

I started bowling with tennis balls last week in an attempt to make another comeback. I'd played 25 straight seasons until covid, and haven't thrown anything since. My arm didn't fall off, so we're still on track.

Also been playing the cricket game on meta quest to get my eye in. It's not the same, but still fun.

First league game yesterday, we got pumped (some late wickets made it look closer than it ever really was). 4 overs 0-18 for me, not great, not awful. On to next week we go. 

Posted (edited)

A late change of venue meant there was some minor counties NCCA T20 action at Oxton Cricket Club.  Cheshire had played Cumbria yesterday, over in The Real Housewives of Cheshire territory (I am not a viewer).  Today  they played Northumberland in a double-header.  Northumberland won the morning game and Cheshire won in the afternoon.  Both sides had players hitting fifties during an enjoyable day's play.

20240506_103425.jpg

20240506_104239.jpg

Edited by Red Kite

Jimmy Anderson calling it a day after the first test against the West Indies this summer.

Guess who has tickets to the second test and was looking forward to seeing him 🙋🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Jimmy Anderson calling it a day after the first test against the West Indies this summer.

Guess who has tickets to the second test and was looking forward to seeing him 🙋🏻‍♂️

Seems weird for a player to not compete a series before retiring 

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Seems weird for a player to not compete a series before retiring 

And to decide to go out at Lords and not at the ground that has a stand named after him. And also to pick himself for the first test without knowing what his form and fitness is going to be like!

• 2 weeks later...

Ventured up to Blackpool yesterday, to watch the mighty Lancs take on Durham.  A lovely ground, but my phone didn't capture the magnificient view of Blackpool Tower.   I was excited to see both Nathan Lyon and Ben Stokes.  Not sure what to make of Stokes being caught for two, off a ball from Lyon though.  However, Stokes certainly contributed more with his bowling today.

20240518_141433.jpg

20240518_141444.jpg

These are the Scotland fixtures for the World Cup League 2 at Forthill.

Decided to get along to watch these as the ground is only a 5-10 minute walk for me to get to.

Was seriously thinking about making a playing comeback this summer, then I get hit with a broken ankle, and chronic mystery shoulder pain and stiffness. Think the body is just saying "nah", and probably for good reason.

Noticed that Forfarshire CC host RH Corstorphine at Forthill on Sunday so as I have nothing on will go down and watch for a while so here's hoping for a decent match.

I have decided to do the 4 game pass for the Scotland Internationals there in July as well.

Posted (edited)

I made a late decision to avoid all football cup finals and headed to watch the mighty Lancs, at Old Trafford.  Mainly hot and occasionally breezy, with the clouds passing over.  The game went on until 18.50 so not bad value for 15 quid.  Enjoyed Lancs taking some wickets.  However, some of their batting gave Warwickshire encouragement and left me shaking my head.  I nearly forgot to note Alex Davies and his 127 not out   Well played.

20240525_110026.jpg

20240525_135402.jpg

Edited by Red Kite

Jumped on the train to Chester station, where it is a fairly short walk east along the nearby canal towpath to Chester Boughton Hall.  The club itself borders the eastern edge of the city and is a very nice set up, with the canal running past the top of the ground.  Unfortunately, moving the NCCA Finals Day up north fell foul of the weather.  The first semi-final was delayed, it went sunny and then rain stopped play four overs from the end of that game.  It looks like they will try and finish the comp tomorrow, which could be good for local hotel business.

20240526_104426.jpg

20240526_104413.jpg