The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I've got to say I'm missing the sky commentators.

I like swann, ponting and fleming. But I'm missing Nasser and atherton. And bumble.

Are swann, boycs, and vaughan still on tms? Or solely on the telly?

Heard a clip of Boycott on TMS after Warner's dismissal, "couldn't happen to a nicer fellow!". Don't know about the other two.

I quite like the commentary team, it was noticeable last might that there was a lot less talking at times than on day 1.

Yeah think they all are. I am quite appreciating not having Botham! I do like the BT commentary though, it's got a bit more of a radio feel to it. Ponting has been particularly fantastic. They aren't just copying Sky and I think that's to their credit.

Whatever people's opinions on Ponting, he really knows his stuff and can put it across well too. I think a few of them that have worked mainly on radio, like Swann and Alison Mitchell, are still getting used to letting the pictures do the talking, but I've really enjoyed the coverage so far.

I have warmed a bit to Ponting, he was a brilliant batsman but I always thought he was a terrible captain who was bailed out by having McGrath / Warne / Gillespie / Lee etc who you or I could throw the ball to and still look good in the field, and also a massive dick during the 2005 ashes but I guess the pressure of being the first Aussie captain to lose against England in 16 years piled up on him. Still has the worst wig out of him and Vaughan* though.

*also a dick

Just be thankful you don't have to put up with Chanel 9's pathetic commentary team and they cut to add break's at end of every over and virtually any prolonged delay. Thank goodness the volume can be turned down and ABC Radio commentary tuned in. http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/nines-pick-of-ashes-commentators-proof-network-is-living-in-the-past/news-story/cfa8e1f40b4d007aab274cb80988f9a9

A massive half hour coming up after tea here.  Woakes is starting to look better, he needs overs to get back into the groove and hopefully back to his old self.  Ali doesn't look 100% fit after that injury and Jake Ball is absolutely dug meat.  I said previously that he reminded me of Alan Mullalley, yep he was shite too.

Anyway hopefully get these two tailenders out and a big last session for the batsman.  

A massive half hour coming up after tea here.  Woakes is starting to look better, he needs overs to get back into the groove and hopefully back to his old self.  Ali doesn't look 100% fit after that injury and Jake Ball is absolutely dug meat.  I said previously that he reminded me of Alan Mullalley, yep he was shite too.
Anyway hopefully get these two tailenders out and a big last session for the batsman.  

England were brutal in that middle session. Anderson obviously has an issue as they spotted him downing a couple of tablets at one of the drinks breaks, and it was strange that neither he or Broad started the bowling after lunch after a good morning session. It was like a few of the tests in the last series in Australia, England getting themselves in a good position but unable to finish off the tail. Hazelwood and Lyon have been tough to shift before, and fair play to Smith for a proper captain's innings.

17 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

England were brutal in that middle session. Anderson obviously has an issue as they spotted him downing a couple of tablets at one of the drinks breaks, and it was strange that neither he or Broad started the bowling after lunch after a good morning session. It was like a few of the tests in the last series in Australia, England getting themselves in a good position but unable to finish off the tail. Hazelwood and Lyon have been tough to shift before, and fair play to Smith for a proper captain's innings.

There is very little chance of Broad & Anderson making it through the five tests sadly.  

There is very little chance of Broad & Anderson making it through the five tests sadly.  

Would have to agree, and going by Ball's performance so far, England are in deep shit if they lose either of those 2.
Australia now lead, which from 209-7 just shouldn't have happened.

In the space of 10 minutes Australia have turned a deficit into a 20 run lead. The only positive England can have at the moment is that the pitch still looks as if it offers nothing, so they should be able to score runs on it. Heavy emphasis on should.

Slipped under the radar a bit I think, but Scotland beat Papua New Guinea by 6 wickets in a one day game in Dubai.
PNG were 147 all out with Sharif taking 4-38 and Evans 3-23. Scotland knocked off the target with almost 12 overs to spare, McLeod 60 not out and Coetzer 29. 3rd best scorer was extras with 21.