The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Reports suggesting Jonny Bairstow headbutted Cameron Bancroft in a nightclub a few days ago.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/21566551/england-investigate-bairstow-headbutt-allegations
If proved true, it's likely to be the end of his tour.
Already it's becoming a disastrous tour for England.

Given what happened with Stokes before they left it's madness that they even got into that situation. Nobody is saying that they should live like monks but surely they can have a few beers and chill out without ending up in a nightclub brawl? Questions have to be asked of Strauss and Bayliss, they seemed to think the players were capable of self policing, but it would appear not. If Bairstow is jettisoned the other wicketkeeper in the squad is Ben Foakes, who has played a few Lions games but has no Test match experience.

17 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Given what happened with Stokes before they left it's madness that they even got into that situation. Nobody is saying that they should live like monks but surely they can have a few beers and chill out without ending up in a nightclub brawl? Questions have to be asked of Strauss and Bayliss, they seemed to think the players were capable of self policing, but it would appear not. If Bairstow is jettisoned the other wicketkeeper in the squad is Ben Foakes, who has played a few Lions games but has no Test match experience.

If Bairstow had to withdraw I reckon England would call up Jos Buttler.

If Bairstow had to withdraw I reckon England would call up Jos Buttler.

Would agree tbh, can't see them going with a debutant. Only thing is timing, depends if and when any decision is made and whether Buttler can get out there and get used to the time change before the next Test, which starts next Saturday.

30 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Would agree tbh, can't see them going with a debutant. Only thing is timing, depends if and when any decision is made and whether Buttler can get out there and get used to the time change before the next Test, which starts next Saturday.

Who is the keeper on the Lions tour?

Sadly all our fears have been realised.  Came into the tour with three batsman who we all thought weren't good enough and so it seems remains the case.  I realise Vince made a good knock but one swallow does not make a summer.

Anderson and Ali not fit, Ball is dugmeat and no depth.

What a mess and I really hope I'm proved wrong as after living in Australia for a bit I love watching them get a stuffing.

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

The 2 on the Lions tour are Joe Clarke (Worcs) and Alex Davies (Lancs). Me neither.

I think Bairstow will stay though.

If it was a one off then I would say yes, but he was disciplined and fined last month for an incident that was unrelated to the Stokes one. This from the BBC report:

He was one of three players who were fined by the ECB last month and accepted formal written warnings for "unprofessional conduct" - unrelated to the Stokes investigation.

There is clearly f**k all in the Bairstow story - just as well for England. 

It's a mystery that the tourists struggled so badly against pace - what did they expect in Australia?  And the Gabba pitch was much slower than usual for the first innings. 

They better get a grip at Adelaide because Perth will be rapid. This isn't a great Aussie side by any stretch either. 

4 minutes ago, HTG said:

There is clearly f**k all in the Bairstow story - just as well for England. 

It's a mystery that the tourists struggled so badly against pace - what did they expect in Australia?  And the Gabba pitch was much slower than usual for the first innings. 

They better get a grip at Adelaide because Perth will be rapid. This isn't a great Aussie side by any stretch either. 

Looks that way now.  But it was all very odd, with Nathan Lyon slipping references to it into his press interviews.   I think Bancroft has done Bairstow a big favour, although the case may also be that Bairstow is simply a bit wired to the moon.

Looks that way now.  But it was all very odd, with Nathan Lyon slipping references to it into his press interviews.   I think Bancroft has done Bairstow a big favour, although the case may also be that Bairstow is simply a bit wired to the moon.

What was Lyon saying? All I saw was Bairstow ("nothing much happened, the England boys were having a chat with the Western Australia boys") and Bancroft ("yeah it was a bit strange he kinda said hello with a little headbutt but I think it was just his strange greeting, we had a nice chat afterwards") this morning. Maybe Bairstow is just as mad as a box of frogs. Who knows.