The Cricket Thread

bewlay

It's the equivalent of England beating us in curling or shinty.
Salty salty tears on the BBC cricket comments section.

Like this one
8. Posted byThe Official Review

on10 Jun 2018 18:03

A doctored pitch to take all skill out of the game and creating a hit off. The match was turned into 50/50 game of chance

Anyway Scotland, enjoy it while it lasts as I'll be the one on here laughing when the ECB investigate and ban you from ODIs

Sent from my F5321 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

10 hours ago, H Wragg said:

I remember a much anticipated match between Pakistan and India at Titwood in 2007.

Not a ball bowled. ☹️

Scotland have had 42 ODI Fixtures  at home 

almost a quarter (10/42 or 11/43 of you include the PAK vs IND) have failed to produce a result

Won: 15    
Lost :17  
N/R: 4
Abandoned: 6

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

The Record in Scotland vs England ODI's

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=2;opposition=1;team=30;template=results;type=team;view=results

No captain has won both the toss and the match

Aside from that

Does anybody have the number of The Times?

There's a mock obituary I want to publish

They were. They seemed really happy for Scotland tbf

And they've all consistently acknowledged the disaster that is the ICC and the fact that they are the only governing body that wants to make it's world cup smaller, and also commented several times on the travesty of the qualifying tourney, the lack of DRS at it, and the decision that ultimately put Scotland out.

A lot of my colleagues are from India and cricket daft, so I get a little cricket education here and there. They all went to the ODI yesterday.

I have always done the very Scottish thing of dismissing cricket without giving it a chance. I watched the last half hour or so yesterday, literally the longest I've ever watched cricket in one sitting. I'm not sure if I could watch the first team out to bat, but I quite enjoyed watching a team chasing down a run total.

A lot of my colleagues are from India and cricket daft, so I get a little cricket education here and there. They all went to the ODI yesterday.
I have always done the very Scottish thing of dismissing cricket without giving it a chance. I watched the last half hour or so yesterday, literally the longest I've ever watched cricket in one sitting. I'm not sure if I could watch the first team out to bat, but I quite enjoyed watching a team chasing down a run total.

Something I like about cricket (tests in particular but ODIs to an extent) is that you can dip in and out of it. You don't have to watch every ball, you can do other things, watch a session, keep updated with the goings on until you can catch another half hour. It's one of only a few sports you can do that with.

Came on here to see if any comments about the Sky coverage and agree with the compliments about it. Not a great cricket fan, I didn't even know this game was on and just caught it by chance when trying to avoid all the usual Sunday morning crap cooking/politics programmes. So glad I did.

I watched about 30 minutes of the build up and checked it out off and on during the day, catching the last hour. The Sky coverage was great, words I never thought I'd ever utter. Despite the English commentary team they gave a very neutral coverage with no patronising smugness, just covering two teams playing an international, not the ENGLAND, ENGLAND, the WORLD's NO.1 playing a bunch of Jocks, snigger snigger approach you'd get if it was football.  George Salmond wasn't treated as the token local, even if he was, and was just another ex-international cricketer talking relevantly about the game. No idiots rabbiting inane rubbish every second of the coverage and periods of silence. Bliss! Yep, I was very impressed on and off the pitch. :thumsup2

ETA - Not following cricket that much, it was also great to hear lots of Scottish accents in the player interviews. I'd thought to progress on the international stage they'd loaded the side with Southern Hemisphere players as other sports have done. Really good to see otherwise.

Edited by 7-2

Something I like about cricket (tests in particular but ODIs to an extent) is that you can dip in and out of it. You don't have to watch every ball, you can do other things, watch a session, keep updated with the goings on until you can catch another half hour. It's one of only a few sports you can do that with.
This is what really bugs me when people say cricket is boring. Of course you are going to be bored if you watch every second of a 7 hour long event. The beauty of cricket is you can dip in and out as the game progresses.

Plenty football matches I've watched are deathly boring because the expectation in a 90 hour game is that you will watch every moment. All sports have their boring moments, cricket is no exception but hey at least its not 80 minutes of nothing happening (rugby).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

17 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Came on here to see if any comments about the Sky coverage and agree with the compliments about it. Not a great cricket fan, I didn't even know this game was on and just caught it by chance when trying to avoid all the usual Sunday morning crap cooking/politics programmes. So glad I did.

I watched about 30 minutes of the build up and checked it out off and on during the day, catching the last hour. The Sky coverage was great, words I never thought I'd ever utter. Despite the English commentary team they gave a very neutral coverage with no patronising smugness, just covering two teams playing an international, not the ENGLAND, ENGLAND, the WORLD's NO.1 playing a bunch of Jocks, snigger snigger approach you'd get if it was football.  George Salmond wasn't treated as the token local, even if he was, and was just another ex-international cricketer talking relevantly about the game. No idiots rabbiting inane rubbish every second of the coverage and periods of silence. Bliss! Yep, I was very impressed on and off the pitch. :thumsup2

ETA - Not following cricket that much, it was also great to hear lots of Scottish accents in the player interviews. I'd thought to progress on the international stage they'd loaded the side with Southern Hemisphere players as other sports have done. Really good to see otherwise.

Sky's coverage is uniformly excellent, and will always be fair to whoever England might be playing. I listened to the bulk of the game on TMS yesterday and they were absolutely fine towards Scotland. The England team got a deserved kicking, but they treated Scotland's win as the seismic event it was.  One or two people on here who evidently have a chip on their shoulder about the BBC obviously disagree, but I thought the coverage was excellent and showed full respect towards Scotland.

I listened to it and didn't feel that at all. You can't expect some sort of equal treatment in cricket - when the gulf between the teams is, and always has been, huge.

It's not in any way comparable to rugby or football.

I thought they were complimentary of the Scottish team, and the event as a whole.

For a bunch of Englishmen watching England suffer an embarrassing defeat of such epic proportions they were remarkably level headed.

But they’re generally like that

TMS embodies much of what is good about the English character in roughly the same way as their international football coverage embodies much of what is cuntish