Official P&b Cycling Thread

15 hours ago, The Master said:

Also, there's work being done outside Murrayfield just now which might have precluded a finish there. Last year also showed how difficult it is to get a traffic-free route into Edinburgh without using the unsuitable cycle paths.

Yep, the flood defence works on the Water of Leith have been causing chaos in the area for ages.

On 09/08/2016 at 10:23, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I didn't even know this place existed. I might get the train out to Beauly one day and attempt this route before winter hits.

I really need to try and expand my horizons when it comes to getting out on the bike. I rarely stray further than cycling from the firth to Loch Ness along the canal path. I forget that there are hundreds of miles of empty roads that are accessible via a short train journey from Inverness.

Really fancy doing this route.

10.4 miles roughly from the station at Beauly down to the actual start of the road.

May have to look into trains for when I'm next off.

Pedal For Scotland was only the second time this year I've been out on my bike...

It went as well as that level of preparation would suggest. Finished in a "leisurely" time of 4 and a half hours. By halfway I was just pushing my bike up the climbs while trying to fend off cramps in my thighs. Finished it though which is the main thing I suppose.

The last wee bit coming into Ingleston was a nightmare though, and I would challenge them to find a bumpier surface.

13 hours ago, Count Mongo del Fantastico said:

The last wee bit coming into Ingleston was a nightmare though, and I would challenge them to find a bumpier surface.

It was marginally better than the glue-like astroturf they used to have inside Murrayfield. 

But some kind of flat temporary surface would be good for next year if they stick with Ingliston.

I had my first run-in with an "I pay road tax" nutter this morning who objected to me taking primary position in slow-moving (aka stopped) traffic on the approach to a roundabout.

I decided that "piss off" was a more appropriate and succinct argument than "nobody pays road tax, but even if it were called that I pay the same as any other vehicle with zero emissions". 

I love the I pay Road tax crew [emoji23] absolutely no clue.

Check out the Dundee Courier's letters page on almost any given week and there will be a genuinely disturbing anti-cyclist rant from a guy called Clark Cross. He's a fucking loonball.

Anyhoo, did anyone here take part in the Galloway Gallop adventure cross event on Sunday? Superbly run and a great day, if a long one from Forfar. I did the 43 mile course which didn't kill me. Between MTBing and 2-3 brutal spin classes a week my fitness/training is going well. Hoping to pick up a road bike just after Xmas and a turbo trainer for shite weather days.

Does anyone have a view on B'twins range?

12 hours ago, The Master said:

I had my first run-in with an "I pay road tax" nutter this morning who objected to me taking primary position in slow-moving (aka stopped) traffic on the approach to a roundabout.

I decided that "piss off" was a more appropriate and succinct argument than "nobody pays road tax, but even if it were called that I pay the same as any other vehicle with zero emissions". 

Cycled back to rural Angus from the Blackness area in Dundee at 5pm tonight. Have done it before but not at such a busy time and it isn't the nicest cycling experience.

Rural roads have challenges for sure and I won't go there, but I would be loathe to tackle the streets of Dundee every day on my bike at that time..

7 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Does anyone have a view on B'twins range?

That's the Decathlon Bikes from memory. Good reviews in terms of what you get for your hard earned cash.

This is a great time to pick up a bargain, most of the 2017 models are out which means good deals on the 'older' stock.

Been out on the bike a lot more lately and getting more and more  concerned about the apparent increase of the anti-cycling fuckwits that are out there .

Even when you do stick to the letter of the law , they seem hell bent on either shouting abuse or driving as close as possible when overtaking

it really is time for the powers that be to start clamping down on these mouth breathing c***s , as I'm getting totally pissed off with it

On 9/16/2016 at 19:29, statts1976uk said:

Velodrome accreditation session 2 tomorrow, can't wait!

How did level two go was it more team riding??

12 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Been out on the bike a lot more lately and getting more and more  concerned about the apparent increase of the anti-cycling fuckwits that are out there .

Even when you do stick to the letter of the law , they seem hell bent on either shouting abuse or driving as close as possible when overtaking

it really is time for the powers that be to start clamping down on these mouth breathing c***s , as I'm getting totally pissed off with it

Yeah i'm finding it nearly every time you're out someone beeping the horn, Shouting, cars hammer by your right hand side far to close without a care in the world.  

I had some Muppet beeping his horn shouting sticking his fingers up all because he had to slow as we were going round a corner.  What is also worrying is the cars that go round blind corners on the wrong side of the road.  Anyway it's just getting worse 

57 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

How did level two go was it more team riding??

It was really good, it concentrated on the team riding particularly how to change positions in the pursuit. Bit tricky at first trying to keep the right speed and gap with the rest of the team. We were doing 7 man change overs and finished it off with all 14 of us in a changeover. Good fun but definitely a step up from lesson one, I'm going to try and book lesson three for a couple of weeks time.

I've taken the plunge and renewed by work parking permit as a pay-as-you-go one.

I calculated that not including the permit cost (the fiver is worth it for "free" weekend parking) I now need to cycle* on average 3 days per week to ensure I'm not paying more in PAYG charges than the monthly cost of a fully paid permit. 

It seems like a good idea now but I suspect I'll regret it come December/January/February. I think I've said before that the cold doesn't really bother my extremities (stop it...) but the cold air really bothers my lungs when I start working hard. But we'll see what happens.

*Or, technically, walk, run, find somewhere free to park. But the motivation is cycling.

I had an unfortunate spill today. 

I needed to get home sharp so decided to take a shortcut through the pedestrianised part of Dundee city centre (cycles are allowed there). Big mistake - it had been raining, which made the decorative paving slabs like sheet ice. 

Luckily my left leg cushioned the fall for my bike :rolleyes: But no damage done except a small cut on my ankle and a mark on my left forearm that will turn into a cracking bruise. 

I don't think there's a worse feeling than that split second where you realise you're going down but can do bugger all about it.

1 hour ago, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

Ideal for rattling around Edinburgh and roaming the cycle tracks etc. Should be quick enough and robust enough for Edinburgh potholes and glass-strewn tracks.  I've got a Revolution track (single speed) and like how simple, robust and quick it is. 

1 hour ago, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

For £299 you can't really go wrong, it'll come with a warranty in case anything goes wrong. It won't be a world beater but it'll be fine for poodling about town.

Just back from buying it at the shop in Canonmills.  Did a bit of reading online and saw a lot of good things about it.  It's just for cycling around town and Water of Leith.  Had to spend another £180 on helmet, lights, mudguards, d lock and decided to get a rack added although I'm not sure I'll ever use it I thought I may as well for £13.