Golfers Thread

Gaz

Just back in from a round at Palacerigg.
For a municipal course it really was in tremendous nick, apart from 1 green (17) which was a very patchy and bare.
Not the best round, couple of 3 putts in the front 9 but certainly hitting the ball a bit better in the back 9.
Would defo play again, esp getting it for £8 on teeofftimes.
Don't mind the club not getting the reduced rate on that 1 since its an NL leisure course._20180804_181108.JPG

After a fairly poor season so far strokeplay-wise (2 buffer and 5 point ones) I managed to finally piece a round together yesterday and recorded my first ever sub-70 round with a 69 in the monthly medal. At 3 under for 6 I had visions of all sorts of records but will be happy with the 69.

Only downside, back down to 5 again with 3 ties next week [emoji85]

9 hours ago, Cowshed Chris said:

After a fairly poor season so far strokeplay-wise (2 buffer and 5 point ones) I managed to finally piece a round together yesterday and recorded my first ever sub-70 round with a 69 in the monthly medal. At 3 under for 6 I had visions of all sorts of records but will be happy with the 69.

Only downside, back down to 5 again with 3 ties next week emoji85.png

Great playing.

My run of bad9/good9 or vice versa shows no signs of abating. Beginning to get a bit peed off TBH.

On 04/08/2018 at 09:49, Peppino Impastato said:

Can anyone suggest a very picturesque course in the Highlands to play?  My Mrs is here next week, gonna take her up there.  Doesn't have to be that good and preferably not expensive just somewhere with stunning views etc.

You're spoiled for choice when it comes to golf in the highlands.

Tain is a lovely links course about 25 miles north of Inverness.  About half the cost of Dornoch. Also worth looking at is Invergordon GC - a decent quality parkland course which costs just £20 a round.

Other affordable courses worth checking out are Nairn Dunbar, Grantown on Spey and Boat of Garten.

Inverness (Culcabock) is also worth considering .

Carrbridge just off the A9 is about 25 miles south of Inverness - just a 9 hole course but the scenery is to die for!

3 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Tain is a lovely links course about 25 miles north of Inverness.  About half the cost of Dornoch. Also worth looking at is Invergordon GC - a decent quality parkland course which costs just £20 a round.

Other affordable courses worth checking out are Nairn Dunbar, Grantown on Spey and Boat of Garten.

Carrbridge just off the A9 is about 25 miles south of Inverness - just a 9 hole course but the scenery is to die for!

That cartridge sounds like the sort of thing, not really caring about it being a championship course and my Mrs will play but she usually doesn't do 18 so it's just for the scenery.  Also not as far as some of the others.  Cheers.

I got recommended fortrose and Rosemarie too, considering that or this dragons tooth.  Need to plan a route and incorporate a course into it.

49 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Carrbridge is in a beautiful setting.

Due to play Grantown on Spey next week. We have a 4 ball for the princely sum of £105.

It`s on the way home from playing Castle Stuart the previous day. Really looking forward to that.  Also staying in Inverness for 1 night so any tips re good eating places welcome.

Jesus. Just seen McIlroy go through the back of a 648 yard par 5 at Akron with a Driver/7 iron. Mental.

Also, I'm starting to miss golf, chucked in about 2011, I think I'll get back into it now that the hillwalking is winding down a bit.

Anything major changed since 2011? [emoji38]

4 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Jesus. Just seen McIlroy go through the back of a 648 yard par 5 at Akron with a Driver/7 iron. Mental.

Also, I'm starting to miss golf, chucked in about 2011, I think I'll get back into it now that the hillwalking is winding down a bit.

Anything major changed since 2011?emoji38.png

It is mental but yet again it`s too little too late. Poor course management from Rory is becoming a bit of a theme when he`s in contention.  He scarcely found a fairway early in his round today.

1 hour ago, Peppino Impastato said:

That cartridge sounds like the sort of thing, not really caring about it being a championship course and my Mrs will play but she usually doesn't do 18 so it's just for the scenery.  Also not as far as some of the others.  Cheers.

I got recommended fortrose and Rosemarie too, considering that or this dragons tooth.  Need to plan a route and incorporate a course into it.

You won't regret booking a round there at just £15 a round.

More info here :

https://www.carrbridgegolf.co.uk/

If you do decide on Fortrose & Rosemarkie take plenty of balls with you!

Edited by ICTJohnboy

1 minute ago, Fuctifano said:

Read a stat that McIlroy since 2016 has been in the final group 8 times and won once.

Previous 8 times before that, won 6 and came second twice.

Not surprised to read that. He`s hits the ball majestically but a good few players who get more out of their game than Rory is at the moment.

10 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Carrbridge is in a beautiful setting.

Due to play Grantown on Spey next week. We have a 4 ball for the princely sum of £105.

It`s on the way home from playing Castle Stuart the previous day. Really looking forward to that.  Also staying in Inverness for 1 night so any tips re good eating places welcome.

Rajah is good if you fancy some Indian grub but I'll always suggest The Kitchen. Great local produce and a decent selection of whisky as well if you want to celebrate a good round by having a dram.

Currently looking for a 46 degree wedge.
The set of irons I've got didn't come with a pitching wedge and the first wedge I have is a 50 degree Taylor made ATV, so I've noticed a gap in my yardage between the 9i and the 50 degree.
Any recommendations from anyone? I'm looking at either something from Cleveland range or the titleist vokey. I won't be buying brand new but looks like I can pick up a Cleveland 46 on eBay for around £20 + delivery or a vokey for about 30-35 + delivery.

Currently looking for a 46 degree wedge.
The set of irons I've got didn't come with a pitching wedge and the first wedge I have is a 50 degree Taylor made ATV, so I've noticed a gap in my yardage between the 9i and the 50 degree.
Any recommendations from anyone? I'm looking at either something from Cleveland range or the titleist vokey. I won't be buying brand new but looks like I can pick up a Cleveland 46 on eBay for around £20 + delivery or a vokey for about 30-35 + delivery.

Thing with wedges is the groves wear quite quickly and will kill the spin, I picked up a fazer wedge from american golf £24 new and its a great little wedge for the price nice big face on it and very forgiving, vokey use soft metal on there face and wear very quickly great wedges tho, take a pop down to affordable golf Glasgow they have a rack full of used wedges and you can test them and see the grove wear for yourself its my only place to shop these days

It is mental but yet again it`s too little too late. Poor course management from Rory is becoming a bit of a theme when he`s in contention.  He scarcely found a fairway early in his round today.
I really think he needs a caddy that will rein him in now and again. He ended up a couple of shots away from winning the Open despite never really contending, and only hit 27 out of 60 fairways over his 4 rounds. His first round driving accuracy was a woeful 27%. Bizarrely he managed to hit more GIR than Molinari who won it, but plenty of times Rory was putting from miles away because he had no control on his approach shot coming out of the rough. If he had found more fairways by using 3 wood or an iron then he might have given himself more birdie chances, or saved more pars.

I might be trying out the course at Dalmuir in the near future. Has anyone on here played it before?

Used to play it regularly when I was younger - was only a 2 min train ride and a 10 min walk to get to.

As has been mentioned before, 5-7 are particularly bland, all playing very similarly. 2, 8 (with the right conditions) and 10 are all reachable par 4’s, 12 is a bugger of a hole to pick the right weight of club, and 13-15 can kill an otherwise good round.

Always found it was really well looked after as well.

Thing with wedges is the groves wear quite quickly and will kill the spin, I picked up a fazer wedge from american golf £24 new and its a great little wedge for the price nice big face on it and very forgiving, vokey use soft metal on there face and wear very quickly great wedges tho, take a pop down to affordable golf Glasgow they have a rack full of used wedges and you can test them and see the grove wear for yourself its my only place to shop these days
I'm sure theres an affordable golf place in East Kilbride?
My big mate got a set of r2 irons and the driver out of there for much cheapness.
I think I only need a 46 wedge and I'd LIKE (dont need) a new putter. I re-gripped my old putter (an old Donnay Challenger 3) with a super stroke 5.0 fatso grip, and honestly its brilliant, I'm only 3 putting maybe twice a round (which for me is fine ATM) and I honestly think I've got more control over the putts since Puting that grip on.
I'd like the odyssey #7 putter but that will have to wait until I've a spare £80-£100 kicking about.