Golfers Thread

Gaz

Bounce game today. Played really well. Round in 76 (5 over). Beat my mate 3&2. Great front 9 to be one over par at the turn with 6 pars, 2 bogeys and a lovely birdie 3 on the 8th. Back in 40 which is four over. Pleased
Playing in a Stableford comp tomorrow. Fully expecting to struggle[emoji23]

Predictably didn’t play as well today but 33 points which is OK. Really bad run of holes 7-11 where I dropped 9 shots with five consecutive 6s. Thereafter payed 12-18 in one over.
Had a two on 6th so some money for that.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Making them difficult is one thing. There have been US Opens in the past where the greens were way beyond difficult.

I hope I'm wrong but my senses are telling me that they might cross the line into farse this year and that video does little to ease concerns. A ball that goes to the back of the green without backspin and nearly rolls off the front on greens this size? That's not fun to play or watch, it's farcical. 

I'm all for them setting the course up tough. Long rough- fine, hard fairways - fine, long par 3s and 4s - fine but this USGA aspiration of always having the US Open have a level par or worse winning score drives them to madness sometimes and it's probably the reason it's by far my least favourite of the majors as a spectator.

Of course, reserve judgement until play is actually underway then can get a sense if they've got the balance right.

24 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

I saw a part of an interview on Sky with DeRoideau. He's absolutely convinced he's just going to bomb it anywhere, wedge it onto, or around the greens and make birdies. The fucking idiot won't even make the cut with that strategy 😂

Fingers fucking crossed.

12/5 to miss the cut when I checked earlier. Tempting.

5 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Good to see the amateur lads enjoying themselves, some nice scoring.

Course is playing a bit benign atm, wind to pick up a bit tomorrow. Reckon it will be absolutely brutal at the weekend.

Usga will be getting the sub air system fired up tonight....far too many players under par 

Edited by doulikefish

Just now, doulikefish said:

Usga will be getting tge sub air system fired up tonight....far too many players under par 

I think the light is playing a part too, as we're in September not June. Don't want rd2 spilling into Saturday if everyone is taking 20 minutes to 3 putt the greens on Friday. Tough to get 144 players round if half of them are shooting 80+.