Golfers Thread

Gaz

1 hour ago, Smithers Jones said:

I have an 8 year old set of Taylor Made irons but carry a 35 year old Ryder Mk 2 sand wedge. It's like a shovel with absolutely no bounce but I love it 😆

Let’s see it! Im intrigued 

I have a PW, 52, 56 and 60. I use the 60 exclusively for bunker shots or if I have a massive slope to get up. It’s far too easy to make a poor connection with that much loft off a normal lie.

I’ve changed up how I hit a lot of my wedges now whereby I have the option of a full swing where I’ll get 80-90 out of the 52 degree and 60-70 out of the 56 degree with a fullish swing, but I’ll play a more chippy kind of shot with my weight all the way on to my front foot that allows me to get a higher ball flight and take a bit of the distance off without having to worry about making a half swing or whatever.

Anyway, played today and made a total hash of three of the first four holes then played some really good stuff from there on. Came back in 39 which was pretty decent. Out on an extremely hilly course in the blazing sun nearly ended me though 😂

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

To get a bit technical for a moment.... I'm in the market potentially for a couple of new clubs, but im a bit unsure of what to get. My gut tells me that I need a club where I can get a full swing at it and go 70-75 yards. A 58 degree seems the natural choice here as I dont have a club that I can confidently get height on if neccessary from closer in ie over bunkers etc. My sand wedge is, IIRC 55 degrees and I can hit it anywhere between 80-100. I think I need something shorter. 

But then, my PW is only 42.5 degrees. Thats a big gap between the two so a gap wedge might seem like the club.. I just dont think I have a problem distance wise between PW and SW, it seems more below SW distances that I need. 

What does everyone carry at wedge end of the market?

If you can find what you're comfy with at the loftier end of things (generally 60 or 58), work your way back from there (standard practice is a 4 degree gap between wedges down to PW).

But always try out a loft wedge in a range of situations (rough, bunkers, fairways, round the greens) as they're not for everyone - and get some advice on the "bounce" element of the club as this will determine how useful it is in certain circumstances.

If you're comfiest with bump and runs from 50 yards in rather than taking to the air, there's perhaps not much benefit buying a stick that mainly stays in the bag when you'd save more shots with an extra rescue club or fairway wood, or when a PW/50/54 option works best for you.

Edited by funky_nomad
Typo

Read the story on the BBC website today about Rahm saying players feel betrayed by management over the merger, and how he threw his phone in a drawer to stop texts coming in. He had a pop at PGA management and so on. Rory has cancelled his press conference, other players saying they are completely in the dark, including the LIV players, who were as blindsided as the PGA Tour players…

then it goes to Koepka, who says, and I paraphrase a bit… ‘I love all this chaos. The more everyone is running around worrying about all this other stuff? Suits me, I’ll just go out and win more majors’.

I think he’s a bit of a kunt, but I actually chuckled at that. Fair play to him for making me chuckle.

Hi all, new to the forum and browsing and found the golf page, Play alot of golf and watch alot of football - perfect. Who do we fancy this week ?

I think Hatton could have a big week, hes knocking on the door and playing some really good stuff. 

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

then it goes to Koepka, who says, and I paraphrase a bit… ‘I love all this chaos. The more everyone is running around worrying about all this other stuff? Suits me, I’ll just go out and win more majors’.

I think he’s a bit of a kunt, but I actually chuckled at that. Fair play to him for making me chuckle.

He’s always tried to portray himself as the kind of guy who doesn’t give a f**k about what’s going on around him or isn’t fazed by anything but he really didn’t come across that way on his episode of Full Swing. I thought he showed a lot of vulnerability on that. 

If he isn’t remotely bothered by all the stuff going on in the background then fair play to him, if anything the changes are a good thing for him, but I can completely understand why guys like John Rahm are bothered by it. Wise move from Rory patching the press conference IMO.

1 minute ago, Albertlegend said:

played the Wednesday medal today my first game back after having a stroke just over a month ago, shot 2 under my handicap so delighted, it was hard going in this heat tho! 

Sorry to hear about your stroke mate. Great to see your back up and playing again so quickly. Best of luck to you 

Played about 90% of my golf on links courses when I was in Scotland so never felt the need for a ludicrously lofted wedge. Quite often used a 7 or a 6 for low "runners" onto the green.

All this talk about having three wedges of varying lofts in your bag… doesn’t matter what you have in your hand if you are prone to shitting yourself when facing a chip over a bunker right in front of you, and you invariably skull it fifty yards over the green, or completely quit on it and fluff it straight into the bunker. 🫤

I’m as well shitting the bed with my trusty Lynx Predator SW, than shitting the bed with three fancy dan expensive bits of kit. 😎

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

All this talk about having three wedges of varying lofts in your bag… doesn’t matter what you have in your hand if you are prone to shitting yourself when facing a chip over a bunker right in front of you, and you invariably skull it fifty yards over the green, or completely quit on it and fluff it straight into the bunker. 🫤

I’m as well shitting the bed with my trusty Lynx Predator SW, than shitting the bed with three fancy dan expensive bits of kit. 😎

Does the SW stand for 'stupid w****r' in this case ?   😲

13 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

If the shoe fits. 😃

You'd better believe it.......not that I play much these days but I got hold of a 60 deg. Vokey years ago and couldn't hit it for shit. Almost decapitated a playing partner after knifing an attempt out of a bunker. ☹️

So yes, I fully agree with your previuous post and am happy to be considered a Lob Wedge W@nker.

Adding to the wedges chat, I carry the PW from my iron set (which I assume is 48 degree) along with 52, 56 and 60 degree Cleveland wedges.

From 80 yards in every shot is with the 60, with a varied stance/ball position/clubface depending on what ball flight I'm looking for.