Golfers Thread

Gaz

1 minute ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

More the club world cup tbh. They have to keep convincing us how important it is. Conference league "major" is the Players

Realise this comes across quite aggressive. Not meant to be

The Players is diminished greatly now and is effectively just a top tier PGA Tour event alongside your Arnold Palmers, your Memorials etc.

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

European Conference League is brilliant, thank you. 😛

We can revist this when you're getting horsed by some 16 handicap Latvian waiters.

2 hours ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

I know a lot of folk hate it but I want Pinehurst to be monstrous at the US Open and winner be about +4

Can’t wait for Carnoustie to be back again and it be blowing a gale after 2 weeks of rain. 

7 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

He was only behind Monty, Stricker, and Westwood for weeks in the top ten of the rankings without a major until now. 

Edit : next two on the list without a major are Cantlay and Fowler as you'd probably expect. 

Didn’t realise Schauffele had been such a consistent top 10 player for half a decade now. Fair play to him for getting his major before it becomes a “thing” like it was for Monty and Westwood.

8 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

He seems to be the only one that's gone to LIV and managed to make himself (very slightly) more likable. 

fwiw I quite like him, he's got the youtube channel so see a lot of his videos popping up. changing to a cap probably helped his likability too

Top 10 for Bob sees him move to 103 in the FedEx points ( Top 125 keep there card)

Fair play to shuffles but how scared did Morikawa look? Just didn't seem to want to be there .I mentioned earlier on in the thread about Deroidbeau becoming a decent guy since his quest for muscle mass seems to be at an end ie no more roids 

17 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Top 10 for Bob sees him move to 103 in the FedEx points ( Top 125 keep there card)

Fair play to shuffles but how scared did Morikawa look? Just didn't seem to want to be there .I mentioned earlier on in the thread about Deroidbeau becoming a decent guy since his quest for muscle mass seems to be at an end ie no more roids 

Bob is 73rd in the FedEx, it wasn't updated when you looked. He also went from 84th to 75th on the OWGR.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, TheGoon said:

I would be fine never watching another tournament from that dreadful course.

It was partly set-up aswell, but I agree it's so dull, it felt like there was no jeapardy anywhere. The only hole that looked like it could potentially have some jeopardy was the 13th but then they move the tee-box too far back to make it worth going for the green for anyone in contention, turning it from potentially the most exciting hole on the course to the most boring with a 4 iron and pitch.

I know it's the low scoring major but for me that's too low. It's good to see high quality golf and birdies being made but there's probably an upper limit where they begin to lose value because there's so many. The fact the scoring was so low despite the length of the course shows it's not really adding length that makes the difference at that level. It's the course and the set-up, which I thought was poor.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

I enjoyed it anyway. Say what you like about the course but at least it was worth watching right until the end, because it wasn’t a major where someone was eight shots ahead and it was a procession. Bryson coming up with that birdie on 18 as the ball fell in with one last roll, followed by Xander finding sand on 17, that awkward stance on 18, and an up and down to win it?

There was enough jeopardy in it for me.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Bob is 73rd in the FedEx, it wasn't updated when you looked. He also went from 84th to 75th on the OWGR.

Tremendous even better 

11 hours ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

I know a lot of folk hate it but I want Pinehurst to be monstrous at the US Open and winner be about +4

The USGA seems to be shying away from the monstrous set ups like Shinnecock and Winged Foot these days, but I totally agree - there's something very satisfying about an over par winning score.  Personally I prefer to see pros suffer and for birdies to be the exception rather than watching -20 winning (with the exception of Stenson v Mickelson at Troon, which was more just two guys taking the piss out of the rest of the field).

9 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Can’t wait for Carnoustie to be back again and it be blowing a gale after 2 weeks of rain. 

Yup, I remember going to the Thursday at Carnoustie in '99 and seeing S. Garcia - 89 on the board, and marvelling at the 15 yard wide fairways and knee high claggy rough in the wind and the rain. Every single player looked like they were seething.  And then on the Sunday with the dashing Van de Velde at +3 on the last tee... you just don't get better drama than that IMO.

4 hours ago, dave_binos said:

Has Bob qualified for US Open? 

Not yet......

However, looking pretty good for Grant Forrest, and Callum Hill and Connor Syme in with a deent chance of a top 13 place this afternoon at Walton Heath (36 holes)

Forrest currently joint 3rd and the others just under the mark but about to start their second rounds in next few minutes

I wonder if Bob is joining the qualifying event on 3rd June in the US?

14 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Not yet......

However, looking pretty good for Grant Forrest, and Callum Hill and Connor Syme in with a deent chance of a top 13 place this afternoon at Walton Heath (36 holes)

Forrest currently joint 3rd and the others just under the mark but about to start their second rounds in next few minutes

If none of them qualify we'll know who to blame anyway....

21 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Not yet......

Didn't realise that was on today, thanks for the heads up.  i'd love to see Hill get some success after missing a year + just when he was getting going.

Poor old Eddie Pepperell, at the site of his British Masters win too.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Bryson is definitely getting more likeable these days. 

Yea iv warmed to him. Listened to a view podcasts he’s been on and he talks through everything he does and why he does it. You get a better understanding of him as a player/competitor that way. 

I use to think Brooks was right about him during their feud but it seems Brooks was the one being a fanny

Edited by lichtie23