Golfers Thread

Gaz

On 13/06/2024 at 15:50, Cheese said:

Great start from Aberg. Took a good look at him and Homa.

Don't fancy Bryson at all this week.

Disappointing that Ludvig and Morikawa both dropped way down the board tonight.

Screenshot_20240617_003103_Chrome.jpg

Edited by peasy23

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/jun/17/us-open-golf-bryson-dechambeau-rory-mcilroy-report

"Bryson DeChambeau is a US Open champion for a second time after beating Rory McIlroy by one shot, prolonging the Northern ­Irishman’s decade-long wait for a fifth major title by at least another month in the most agonising fashion at Pinehurst No 2.

The 30-year-old American, one of only a dozen players from the rebel LIV Golf series in the 156-player field, frittered away a three-shot overnight lead before rallying from two strokes down on a dramatic back nine, ­holding his nerve in a contest of extreme psychological intensity that will leave McIlroy ruing a series of unforced errors in the final reel."

The commentators curse on the 16th was his undoing and missing the putt obviously, I think he took his driver out on the 18th as on that tee you can see the 17th green and I'm pretty sure he thought Deroidbeau was going to make a birdie so was in "chasing" mode up the last 

More excitement than the fabled back 9 on Augusta last night 

Commentary said that those were the only putts under 3 feet he’s missed all season.
Don’t normally like Faldo on comms but he was bang on, why do players need to have a wedge in their hands every time. that cost mcilroy up the last. Goes with driver and gets a bad lie. Bryson the same.

hit the 3 wood or an iron and then have an 8 or 9 into the green. Par gets a playoff. 

1 minute ago, PrestersKTID said:

Commentary said that those were the only putts under 3 feet he’s missed all season.
Don’t normally like Faldo on comms but he was bang on, why do players need to have a wedge in their hands every time. that cost mcilroy up the last. Goes with driver and gets a bad lie. Bryson the same.

hit the 3 wood or an iron and then have an 8 or 9 into the green. Par gets a playoff. 

He was 496/496 inside 3 feet beforehand

22 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Really felt for Rory last night. That’s a tough loss to take. He’d putted beautifully pretty much the whole round and then suddenly missed 2 short ones. Shame. 

Twice in the last fortnight I've had tears in my eyes watching golf on the telly.

Firstly, when Boab won the Canadian Open with his dad on the bag - tears of joy.

Then last night, when Rory blew it 'cos he decided to go flaghunting - tears of sadness and frustration.

I really hope he can get over the loss before The Open and expect to see him at Renaissance for the Scottish Open.

2 hours ago, PrestersKTID said:

Yeah I normally can't stick Faldo, but he was absolutely on the money with that

I’ve been finding Bryson a lot more palatable for a good while now, although I have been watching his YouTube stuff since he started so perhaps seeing him being fairly normal and sound on there helped with that. I always felt during the whole weird Brooks spat that Bryson was coming off looking a hell of a lot less of a p***k than Brooks, who I really cannot take to at all. 

The way he’s reinvented his image (and improved his game) since the switch to LIV is quite something. He must be the only guy in LIV golf who people have taken to more since the switch than beforehand. Fair play to him, I personally think he’s a huge loss for the PGA Tour, arguably more than anyone else who’s made the jump. He’s the type of guy I could watch all day.

Went up for a game today and ended up playing with a guy from Newfoundland who had a spare day on his way up to Fife for a golfing trip with friends. His only gripe is that the tour company they used was supposed to get them times on the Old Course but haven't delivered. They are staying at Rusack's in St. Andrew's and the 4 courses booked at the moment are Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, Crail and the Jubilee.

He pays around £1600 per year for his fees at his home club, but they only have a six month season. So he fucked off to Arizona to live for 3 months over the winter.

7 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Went up for a game today and ended up playing with a guy from Newfoundland who had a spare day on his way up to Fife for a golfing trip with friends. His only gripe is that the tour company they used was supposed to get them times on the Old Course but haven't delivered. They are staying at Rusack's in St. Andrew's and the 4 courses booked at the moment are Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, Crail and the Jubilee.

He pays around £1600 per year for his fees at his home club, but they only have a six month season. So he fucked off to Arizona to live for 3 months over the winter.

Can think of worse places to spend three winter months in…. Last time I played golf in the USA was in Arizona, here at Camelback in Scottsdale. It was exactly like the picture. Was over 100F the day I played, but was amazing. Was a bucket list thing of mine to play golf on a desert course with cactus, waterfalls, and greens like a billiard table. It didn’t disappoint.

F507D471-A120-4646-90CD-D5CDBAE819F3.jpeg

Rory finally breaks his silence to congratulate Bryson, said it was one of his toughest days in golf. Also said he will be taking some time off and won't play until the Scottish Open.