Golfers Thread

Gaz

5 hours ago, pozbaird said:

No doubt a lot of players who come over as one thing on TV are the opposite off the course, and vice versa. I do find a lot of the Americans to be either God bothering dullards, robotic college types, or just complete arseholes. As I said in a previous post though, maybe there’s American fans who look at moaning-faced Hatton and think ‘arsehole’. Pretty sure the ‘Postman’ riled a few Yanks, as well as a few Brits, Ryder Cup efforts not withstanding. Garcia is a p***k, Montgomerie stormed about like he was chewing a wasp. Seve got under people’s skin. I remember being at the Johnnie Walker at Gleneagles once. Montgomerie was playing the uphill 18th. I think the official name of it is ‘Kuntofahole’. Anyway, someone in the crowd made a noise, farted or something. Montgomerie strode over and gave them the death stare. Ten minutes later, up at the green, Sam Torrance was about to putt and a kid sitting at the greenside reached into his bag of crisps and loudly crunched. Torrance walked over, leaned down, took the crisps, ate a couple and handed the bag back to the kid. Laughter all around.

Maybe Montgomerie was good at signing autographs though. I have no idea. I’ve heard stories that Paul Lawrie, for example is absolutely fantastic with kids and fans in general. I guess you just never know the good guys from the wanks sometimes.

I always loved Montgomery, his dour demeanour, and how the media reacted to it,  but the first time I saw him up close was at Loch Lomond around 1997 or 98 on the 9th. He was first to putt in his group, missed the putt, tapped in the next and stormed off through the crowd to the 10th tee before his playing partners had holed out. He just came across as childish and after seeing that I never really liked him. 

18 hours ago, printer said:

A lot of posters seem to be pretty certain nonetheless. Personally when I'm watching golf I couldn't give f**k about how "dull" someone looks or whether they sign loads of autographs etc. I'm watching the quality of their golf. Yesterday Xander's was impeccable, back nine especially, and it was a pleasure to watch. A worthy champion.

Nobody's saying he doesn't deserve his win. I like to see a bit of emotion from golfers, the camera cut to Xander sitting in the clubhouse after the last putt dropped in and he looked like he was waiting around for a delayed flight. The personalities in golf have always played a part. Do we just automatically like everyone because they can hit a wee ball around? 

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Nobody's saying he doesn't deserve his win. I like to see a bit of emotion from golfers, the camera cut to Xander sitting in the clubhouse after the last putt dropped in and he looked like he was waiting around for a delayed flight. The personalities in golf have always played a part. Do we just automatically like everyone because they can hit a wee ball around? 

Of course not, but IMO neither should we automatically dislike a brilliant golfer because they don't show a lot of emotion IMO. I find the rush to label Schauffele/Scheffler "dull" a bit odd; there's no doubt there's an echo chamber element to it on this thread. 

Having said that my all time favourite player by some distance is Seve and his personality/how he played is part of the reason. Also how he stuck it right up the Yanks.

1 hour ago, printer said:

Having said that my all time favourite player by some distance is Seve Maurice Flitcroft and his personality/how he played is part of the reason. Also how he stuck it right up the Yanks. R&A.

One of the things that always comes up after another foreign winner of The Open is the lack of British, and particularly English winners. The story of these guys growing up playing links golf is a complete myth though.

Just looking at the leading British players on the OWGR, only Fleetwood genuinely grew up playing on the links.

McIlroy's home course at Holywood is parkland, same for Bob at Glencruiten.

Fitzpatrick (Sheffield), Rose (brought up in Hampshire), Rai (Wolverhampton), Wallace (Hillingdon), Smith (Bath) and Ferguson (Glasgow) would all have had little exposure to links growing up.

On another note, Ewen Ferguson's T22nd at Troon saw him climb into the top 100 on the OWGR for the first time.

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

One of the things that always comes up after another foreign winner of The Open is the lack of British, and particularly English winners. The story of these guys growing up playing links golf is a complete myth though.

Just looking at the leading British players on the OWGR, only Fleetwood genuinely grew up playing on the links.

Fitzpatrick (Sheffield), Rose (brought up in Hampshire), Rai (Wolverhampton), Wallace (Hillingdon), Smith (Bath) and Ferguson (Glasgow) would all have had little exposure to links growing up.

A fair portion of elite amateur golf, from juniors onward, is played on links courses though, so most players coming through a few years in the amateurs would have far more experience than their US counterparts - in one of Dan Brown's interviews he made this point, noting that going through final qualifying on a links course had felt like going back to those days.

Of course (and this is likely to become more of an issue going forward) the more UK golfers that end up on scholarships in the US and playing in their collegiate system, the less links golf they'll play as elite amateurs.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

On another note, Ewen Ferguson's T22nd at Troon saw him climb into the top 100 on the OWGR for the first time.

Ferguson definitely would have got used to shite bounces and horror rough playing at Bearsden as a junior

switched on the Seniors this afternoon and this was the first "shot" I saw....unbelievable.....Hale Irwinesque

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/watch-former-ryder-cupper-completely-whiff-tap-in-senior-open-championship-video

Was supposed to be playing in the second round of the Montrose three day open.  Had to withdraw as tested positive for Covid this morning.  Was feeling awful and went to chemist for a lemsip or such like, the woman behind counter suggested I test for Covid and as I was about to go to my Mums as it is her 95th birthday it seemed the sensible thing to do.......not even a faint line......don't think I would have been fit enough to play anyway.

On 23/07/2024 at 18:30, Tartan Dave said:

trump looks incredibly old when he's not totally made up

The thing about this is that during the video Trump is engaged, knowledgable, hits a decent drive for an old boy (though his putting stroke is bizarre), and clearly very in tune with his golf properties. Still got the trademark bluster and boastfulness, but clearly this is his home turf. You'd think he'd want to focus on that shit for the rest of his life instead of just being a threat to western democrazy. 

5 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

The thing about this is that during the video Trump is engaged, knowledgable, hits a decent drive for an old boy (though his putting stroke is bizarre), and clearly very in tune with his golf properties. Still got the trademark bluster and boastfulness, but clearly this is his home turf. You'd think he'd want to focus on that shit for the rest of his life instead of just being a threat to western democrazy. 

I don't know how he manages to get anywhere near the hole with that putting stroke, let alone actually roll a few in. 

17 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Knox one over par in round one.

Cut likely to be 2 or 3 under so work to do for both to make the weekend.

Both missed the cut 🥺

On 23/07/2024 at 18:30, Tartan Dave said:

trump looks incredibly old when he's not totally made up

Thanks for that......was a surprisingly good watch. DeChambeau comes across really well and is obviously an extremely talented golfer who is loving life (also enjoyed seeing him meet Bob on he range at the open and offering his congratulations on the Scottish Open win) As already said Trump is a half decent golfer.....this surprised me as I thought his boasts about being multiple club champion were his usual were his usual ridiculous claims (no doubt they are but for a 78 year old he hits a consistently good ball even if his putting is bizarre)

I actually met Trump at his Balmedie course (he was on his own and came into the temporary clubhouse for a coffee and we were only other ones there)  We did speak but only about his course....sort of regretting not being more forceful and suggesting he stick to golf clubs rather than hold political ambitions - this was a few weeks before he announced he would run for election.