Golfers Thread

Gaz

A friend of mine has had an absolute nightmare at this event. He placed a 5 figure lay bet on Niemann at odds of around 2.0 on Friday afternoon, expecting him to revert to the mean after two rounds of 63. I’ve not heard from him all weekend and just stuck Sky on to see he’s 5 clear with 5 to play, and text my pal to see if he was able to get any money out on the other side of the book. He’s not replied as yet and I don’t expect he will tbh, probably crying into his pillow at this point. 

It actually did cross my mind to lay Niemann on Friday as well but I came to the conclusion that, apart from Young, the rest of the field weren’t close enough to merit a lay. I’ve been proved right this time, but it’s pretty rare to see a runaway leader go from Thursday morning to Sunday night without slipping up. 

A friend of mine has had an absolute nightmare at this event. He placed a 5 figure lay bet on Niemann at odds of around 2.0 on Friday afternoon, expecting him to revert to the mean after two rounds of 63. I’ve not heard from him all weekend and just stuck Sky on to see he’s 5 clear with 5 to play, and text my pal to see if he was able to get any money out on the other side of the book. He’s not replied as yet and I don’t expect he will tbh, probably crying into his pillow at this point. 

It actually did cross my mind to lay Niemann on Friday as well but I came to the conclusion that, apart from Young, the rest of the field weren’t close enough to merit a lay. I’ve been proved right this time, but it’s pretty rare to see a runaway leader go from Thursday morning to Sunday night without slipping up. 
And I feel guiltily if my £10 four fold doesn't come in on a Saturday...

9 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:
16 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

And I feel guiltily if my £10 four fold doesn't come in on a Saturday...

To put it in context he makes plenty from laying horses and basically creates his own book, no doubt it’s an absolute sickener though but rather it happened to him than someone who was banking on it. 

He was trying to talk me into going in with him on Friday afternoon, he was rhyming off all kinds of stats about 36 hole leaders not going on to win the tournament, and I think with the odds being at 2.0 it’s basically the flip of a coin, and I would probably have went along with his reasoning. 2 ahead now with 3 to play so he might be celebrating in an hour or so :lol: 

1 minute ago, CaspianChris said:

Niemann seems to be letting him lead slip 

Surely after being 5 shots clear he is not going to throw it all away in the last few holes or so.

Certainly going to make things interesting. 

Throwing away a 5 shot lead with 5 holes to play would surely go down as one of the all time PGA bottle jobs. Niemann is available to lay at 1.06 if you fancy the bottle job, £6 lay bet would earn you a cool ton if he makes a pigs ear of this. 

DeChambeau and Johnson now coming out to commit themselves to the PGA Tour is a bit like Switzerland declaring for the Allies in September 1945. They stood back and let it play out in front of them before they decided which side of the fence to stand on, and DeChambeau especially doesn’t come out of this looking very good.

It really shouldn’t be cause for plaudits, as anyone with morals would find it repulsive to be taking the Saudi regimes money as they continue to conduct public executions in the street, but at least guys like Rahm, McIlroy, Morikawa and Thomas (and others) can come away from this knowing they weren’t willing to be used as political pawns for a couple of extra zeroes in the bank account. The same can’t be said for dinosaurs like Mickleson and Hoffman, who’s half arsed attempts at creating a PGA pile on didn’t go exactly as planned. 

No doubting Mickleson has had a great career, and is a phenomenal golfer, but his character has been called in to question numerous times in the past, and no matter how many signed gloves you hand out to kids in the crowd, there’s really no defence of his actions these past couple of weeks. It’s obvious that he was absolutely choking to get the Saudi backed tour off the ground, and did so by talking utter nonsense about how the PGA collect and distribute money relating to players image and media rights. Almost every point he made was instantly disproved by multiple different sources, but the irony didn’t seem to be lost on him as he accused the PGA Tour of ‘obnoxious greed’. This is a guy that’s apparently made $800 million dollars from the game, willing to put the whole sport up in the air to collect another couple of hundred million for himself. I would love to see the PGA just revoke his Tour card and see how he gets on playing Jeddah International himself. 

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Rory eviscerating Mickelson in his post round interview.

Fair play to Rory. That’s some strong and pretty harsh words there, which is absolutely merited in this situation. Micklesons actions could well be one of the most selfish things I’ve witnessed, a guy who has made the best part of One Billion Dollars from the game, willing to try and force through a breakaway tour funded by a regime that commits atrocities on its own people without consequence, partly down to guys like himself, Anthony Joshua and F1, who are so morally corrupt that they see no problem in playing their part in Saudis attempts to legitimise itself as a forward thinking country. There’s been a very obvious and well publicised effort to use sports as a way to paint Saudi Arabia in a different light, and it’s sad that so many are happy to take the money and play along to their tune. 

**Fantasy Golf League Week 7**

20220221_164852.jpg.5448ce27be51ff251b5cc79e6c583ba2.jpg

Chile Con Carnage

Joaquin Niemann completely destroyed both Riviera and the field to take the Genesis Invitational and jump into the world's top 20.

Some personal news...

Screenshot_20220221-165730_Google.jpg.9ab6b4fe8bcb4da93839de6af30c353f.jpg

"While there has been a lot of speculation surrounding my support for another tour. I want to make it very clear that as long as the best posters on the forum are playing the Fantasy League, so will I. As of now, I am focused on competing again soon. I appreciate all the support"

Standings

Good week

No one has Niemann in their team, but Collin Morikawa is a popular pick and his 2nd place helped @J_Stewart to a top score of 240 this week.

th02.png.000431989c35d13ae2652fcc330f742b.png

Bad week

A bad week for @alta-pete @IrishBhoy and @Lester Freamonwith only 40 points. An even worse week for Greg Norman and the House of Saud. What a terrible wee shame.

th06.png.0a1d99a010b6f43fa4c68c75d62daae7.png

The Montgomerie 

@Slacker 970

@IrishBhoy 700

@funky_nomad 650

@Distant Doonhamer 650

@Central Belt Caley 640

@die hard doonhamer 620

The Torrance

@Leeds Saint 790

@kilMARKnock 730

@peasy23 670

@lichtie23 550

@alta-pete 440

@Lester Freamon 430

The Lyle 

@Day of the Lords 1190

@Tartan Dave 870

@The Moonster 720

@Caledonian1 699

@MP_MFC 600

@true_rover 550

The Lawrie 

@J_Stewart 830

@jagfox OG 780

@Ro Sham Bo 700

@Honest_Man#1 670

@St. Jude 660

@doulikefish 470

1973-Honda-Civic-760x570.jpg.48cfbc4d8787ad3519e1c961da34a642.jpg

No DP World Tour again this week, so only the Honda Classic and the start of the Florida swing on the PGA Tour. Not the greatest field as many take the week off with the Arnold Palmer and The Players on the horizon. As ever, we're at PGA National, a Jack Nicklaus redesign, typical PGA stuff with plenty of water and sand and the tough 'Bear Trap' finishing stretch where the title is usually won or lost.

hole11.thumb.jpg.8efbcf2200971242a8e07b0908feecae.jpg

Mickelson trying to walk it back and taking a "break from golf". He's an absolute cretin and I'll be delighted if he never plays top level golf again. A proper c**t.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/golf/news/33694/12549037/phil-mickelson-apologies-for-reckless-saudi-super-league-comments-and-says-he-is-taking-a-break-from-golf