Golfers Thread

Gaz

Shot 104, which I'm happy with round a new track. Beautiful course, and in great nick. Will definitely be back there.

Glad you enjoyed it, I grew up playing it. Played it for the first time in a few years a couple of weeks ago. The middle section (7 through 13) has always struggled with drainage issues due to there being large deposits of Clay underground, but as you say, it's in decent shape.

I still find the first a really intimidating tee shot. What was your favourite hole?

I'm playing Arbroath tomorrow, no idea what to expect, but looking forward to it.

The Scottish Open at Aberdeen - does anyone know if tickets need to be by post through the website or can you just turn up on the day and buy there?

I'm guessing the latter but I'm seeing no indication that you can.

Think you can PATG so to speak hedgey. But be careful think the weekend may be sold out.

Cheers. I was thinking more tomorrow or Friday to fill my day as I'm busy at the weekend anyway. If the weather's half as good as today then it should be ace.

Cheers. I was thinking more tomorrow or Friday to fill my day as I'm busy at the weekend anyway. If the weather's half as good as today then it should be ace.

Aye, I'm heading tomorrow. Have managed to tag along with one of my mates corporate tickets.

Should be a good day. :)

Successfully made buffer zone tonight.

Standing on the 13th tee level par, I decided to finish birdie, birdie, birdie, par, double bogey, quintuple bogey.

My 3,3,3,3,6,9 finish will take some beating. Wasn't even a bottle job, just duffed a chip on 17, then took on a risky drive on 18, hit it about 2 yards left of target and lost it. Once I'd taken 5 shots it didn't matter as stableford par adjustment would make it a 6 anyway.

Glad you enjoyed it, I grew up playing it. Played it for the first time in a few years a couple of weeks ago. The middle section (7 through 13) has always struggled with drainage issues due to there being large deposits of Clay underground, but as you say, it's in decent shape.

I still find the first a really intimidating tee shot. What was your favourite hole?

I'm playing Arbroath tomorrow, no idea what to expect, but looking forward to it.

Quite a few good holes, but would have to say the par 3 14th. First 2 guys in our group went straight at the pin over the bunkers and saw it take a big kick right. Me and the other then hit left of the bunkers and both got a big kick on to the green. Excellent.

Quite a few good holes, but would have to say the par 3 14th. First 2 guys in our group went straight at the pin over the bunkers and saw it take a big kick right. Me and the other then hit left of the bunkers and both got a big kick on to the green. Excellent.

That's the line, been close on several occasions there. Problem being that its blind, so when you actually think you might be, you're usually not.

Many a score has been ruined chipping down from the left.

Bought new driver and irons last night, needed irons, driver was just a bit impulse buying. Anyway was getting fitted using and used flightscope to record data which is first time I have ever seen these figures. Didnt matter what driver i used my spin rate was around 4500-5000 even when i was hitting it pretty straight, wtf am I doing wrong as the boy said I should be aiming for around 2000 rpm. Also was surprised to hear that when u swing over 105mph most of off shelf stuff is too soft. Ended up with Taylormade Jetspeed and Callaway xhot irons, canni wait to get out and hack round with them

Bought new driver and irons last night, needed irons, driver was just a bit impulse buying. Anyway was getting fitted using and used flightscope to record data which is first time I have ever seen these figures. Didnt matter what driver i used my spin rate was around 4500-5000 even when i was hitting it pretty straight, wtf am I doing wrong as the boy said I should be aiming for around 2000 rpm. Also was surprised to hear that when u swing over 105mph most of off shelf stuff is too soft. Ended up with Taylormade Jetspeed and Callaway xhot irons, canni wait to get out and hack round with them

Where did you get them ? Interesting to hear the info you were given. Coincidentally I was with my brother who is zero handicap yesterday. He was at st Andrews for two hour flight scope session on his whole bag and the guy there was going thro all the data on all his clubs and when it come to driver the rpm your man says is a bit different to what pro fitter at st Andrews was telling my brother. Amazing tho as in two hours my brother gained 15 yards carry on every iron (since he got his irons thro using them a lot the loft and lie had adjusted and were on average 2 degrees more lofted. ) and 25 yards on 3 wood and driver. Game changing for brother who already excellent player. Motto of story get irons checked yearly they say.

Got them at American Golf at Braids Driving Range in Edinburgh not sure if the boy was a pro or not that fitted me but he seemed to know what he was on about, Dont get me wrong I am

hitting new driver and irons further but probably has alot to do with stronger lofts and longer length than what I had before.

Boomtown, I would be interested to see your angle of attack on flightscope. I would imagine that you're hitting down on the ball to create that much spin.

Consider your set up.

I would like to see a "Reverse K" set up (google it) and a concentration on hitting up on the ball. Check ball position is just inside your left heel (right handers) and not further into your stance.

If you go to a pro, make sure he has a launch monitor and knows how to interpret the numbers.

Can't buy a good round at the moment - I joined Williamwood at the start of May and it's been great, but my fairway shots all seem to leak right to varying degrees, I can't buy a putt, and I can only get rid of my slice when I put absolutely everything into my drives (on the plus side I've hit a fair few over the 270 mark for the first time ever, which makes it all worth it I suppose).

81's my best score off the yellows as of yet. Looking like my handicap will be between 18-20.

For the first time ever, The Open is using a 2 tee start today due to expected shitey weather.

From the first tee ...

9 am: Keegan Bradley, Jason Dufner, Phil Mickelson
9.11 am: Thongchai Jaidee, Gary Woodland, D.A. Points
9.22 am: Kristoffer Broberg, David Hearn, Graeme McDowell
9.33 am: Hideki Matsuyama, Branden Grace, Byeong *** An
9.44 am: Shane Lowry, Stephen Gallacher, Matteo Manassero
9.55 am: David Howell, Justin Rose, Bill Haas
10.06 am: Thomas Bjorn, Edoardo Molinari, Marc Leishman
10.17 am: Adam Scott, Victor Dubuisson, Jimmy Walker
10.28 am: Robert Karlsson, Marc Warren, Jim Furyk
10.39 am: George Coetzee, Louis Oosthuizen, Charl Schwartzel
10.50 am: Sergio Garcia, Rickie Fowler, Ryan Moore
11.01 am: Francesco Molinari, Dustin Johnson, Rory McIlroy

... and from the 10th ...

9 am: Gregory Bourdy, Chris Rodgers, Ben Martin
9.11 am: Darren Clarke, Matt Kuchar, Hunter Mahan
9.22 am: Kevin Stadler, Chris Kirk, Martin Kaymer
9.33 am: John Senden, Billy Hurley III, Chris Wood
9.44 am: Matt Jones, Brooks Koepka, Paul Casey
9.55 am: Angel Cabrera, Henrik Stenson, Ryan Palmer
10.06 am: Brian Harman, Jamie McLeary, Charley Hoffman
10.17 am: Kevin Streelman, Brendon Todd, Brandt Snedeker
10.28 am: Jason Day, Zach Johnson, Kevin Na
10.39 am: Koumei Oda, Thorbjorn Olesen, Stewart Cink
10.50 am: Tom Watson, Luke Donald, Matt Every
11.01 am: Tiger Woods, Jordan Spieth, Rhein Gibson

Batten down the hatches, folks. It could be a long day!

Buffer again today. Net 73 again CSS 72.

Played pretty steadily but just can`t afford 3 double bogeys playing off 9. Couple of birdies helped including one on a hole that I don`t even par all that often. Sitting at 9.0 but remain hopeful of a cut soon :P

Having drifted up to 9.3 hadn`t played for 2 weeks other than 9 holes on Friday. Clearly what was required as got 40 points in stableford today. Played early so not sure what CSS was but should get a decent cut :)

Played an open at Cullen - first time I had ever played the course despite being only about 30miles down the road.

Started by hooking my drive out of bounds on the first - thought it was going to be a long day.

However, I rallied and shot a gross 80 for a nett 59! Played brillantly bar 2/3 holes towards the end when I realised I was on for a score and the nerves kicked in. Got myself together for the last couple though.

Broke a few personal bests with it - lowest gross, most pars and most consecutive pars. Now down to 19.8 which is my lowest handicap - started the season at 26!

Delighted with how yesterday went...even if I did come second!! haha