Golfers Thread

Gaz

The celebration of champions at the Open has been good fun. Great they've included the amateurs and golfers with disabilities. Dave King as Gary Player's caddy was amusing

The celebration of champions at the Open has been good fun. Great they've included the amateurs and golfers with disabilities. Dave King as Gary Player's caddy was amusing
How lucky has Georgia Hall been with the draw? In a four ball with Rory, Tiger and Trevino?

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
4 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

How lucky has Georgia Hall been with the draw? In a four ball with Rory, Tiger and Trevino?

Don’t think Iv ever seen her smile 

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

There will always be debate over who is number 1, but I think most would agree that this is a photo of the two best players ever

Cracking photo. For me it's Jack, not purely on number of majors won, but also in terms of the rivals he had to beat over the 20-30 years of his prime. Arnie Palmer, Gary Player and Tom Watson were all magnificent golfers at the time.

When Woods was demolishing Pebble Beach (and the field) in 2000, I genuinely thought he'd go on to win 20+ majors. He finished that -12, no one else beat Par. Ridiculous golf. He was so dominant then that no one was even close to him in terms of ability. 

19 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Cracking photo. For me it's Jack, not purely on number of majors won, but also in terms of the rivals he had to beat over the 20-30 years of his prime. Arnie Palmer, Gary Player and Tom Watson were all magnificent golfers at the time.

When Woods was demolishing Pebble Beach (and the field) in 2000, I genuinely thought he'd go on to win 20+ majors. He finished that -12, no one else beat Par. Ridiculous golf. He was so dominant then that no one was even close to him in terms of ability. 

Tiger never had individual opposition of the level of Pamer, Player and Watson, but I'd argue there are deeper fields in the modern game.

Tough to compare golfer's in different eras, but I think a prime Woods beats a prime Nicklaus. Tiger was a better putter imo. He would have overtaken Jack in majors if he hadn't self destructed off the course.

1 minute ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

Tiger never had individual opposition of the level of Pamer, Player and Watson, but I'd argue there are deeper fields in the modern game.

Tough to compare golfer's in different eras, but I think a prime Woods beats a prime Nicklaus. Tiger was a better putter imo. He would have overtaken Jack in majors if he hadn't self destructed off the course.

Oh there's no doubt that he would have had he not been shagging around on his wife, popping prescription pills etc, but it's something of an "If your auntie had baws" argument, I guess. 

Them playing each other in their respective primes would be interesting though. How would Woods fare with 1960-80s equipment, would he be as good a putter on poorer greens? Nicklaus could regularly hit 280-300yds off the tee in the late 70s/early 80s. What sort of numbers would be be putting up now with modern equipment, balls and perfectly maintained courses? 

My own opinion has always been that Tiger played the best golf ever, but Jack is the GOAT based on his major performances. Not just the wins, but just the sheer consistency. 18 wins, 19 runners up. Out of 40 majors in the 70s he missed 1 cut, and had 35 top 10s, including 8 wins and 8 seconds. In a 15 year stretch from his first Open win in 1966, his worst finish was T6th.

Including the year he turned 50, 1990, he had missed 11 cuts in 120 majors, and even managed 6th place in the Masters that year. 38e67202e28a9e69b40f8218ea8e3ee3.jpg

8 hours ago, peasy23 said:

My own opinion has always been that Tiger played the best golf ever, but Jack is the GOAT based on his major performances. Not just the wins, but just the sheer consistency. 18 wins, 19 runners up. Out of 40 majors in the 70s he missed 1 cut, and had 35 top 10s, including 8 wins and 8 seconds. In a 15 year stretch from his first Open win in 1966, his worst finish was T6th.

Including the year he turned 50, 1990, he had missed 11 cuts in 120 majors, and even managed 6th place in the Masters that year. 38e67202e28a9e69b40f8218ea8e3ee3.jpg

I've always said Jack on the same basis, but looking at those stats just underlines it for me - that 20-year run at The Open from 1963-82 is just astonishing in terms of consistency, and his records in the other majors isn't too far behind. Plus, his back 9 to win the Masters in '86 is one of my all-time favourite sporting memories.

Tiger may win several memorable battles, but Jack wins the war.

Tiger is eons better than Nicklaus as a golfer. Light years. Go and watch some of Nicklaus, his chipping is like a seven handicap whereas Tiger's is the best there's ever been. Nicklaus had one shot, Tiger has them all.

But Nicklaus is a better champion and will have the best record. Even though Tiger hit every landmark quicker and younger. His life off the course ruined it for him.

As for competition Tiger had Els, Singh, Mickelson and many others as well as a depth of talent to compete with that didn't exist in Jack's time.

All these guys would have another one or two majors if not for Tiger and would be considered right up there along with the greats who Jack played against.

It's just that Tiger absolutely destroyed them. He was winning one out of every four majors from 97-2008. That's astonishing. A level of dominance not seen before and which won't be seen again.