Rugby Union

kiwififer

Strauss and Dunbar will be big misses for Glasgow today, hope the latter is fit in time for the Autumn Internationals. Squad is announced on Monday, I'm predicting:

Reid, Dickinson, Allan, Murray, Cross, M Low

Lawson, Ford, MacArthur

Hamilton, R Gray, J Gray, Swinson, Gilchrist

Brown, Strokosch, Harley, Barclay, Cowan, Watson, Beattie, K Low

Cusiter, Laidlaw, Pyrgos

Weir, Russell, Heathcote

Horne, Dunbar, Bennett, Taylor, Evans

Lamont, Maitland, Seymour, Fife, Visser

Hogg, Murchie

Grant, Welsh and Wilson are returning from injury at their club sides this weekend so it's probably too soon for them, Jackson, Denton and Scott still out. We should really be beating Argentina and Tonga but can't see us getting anything out of the All Blacks.

Edited by CK

Wallabies lose 28-29 to All Blacks who win the game with 2 tries in last 11 minutes. Coach Ewen McKenzie resigns although he supposedly did that pre-game.

I suspect that had more to do with the Kurtley Beale affair than the shit results.

Didn't see it because I was the football, but the Warriors beat Bath 37-10 scoring 5 tries in the process. A fantastic result and by the sounds of a great performance.

Fantastic performance - 5 tries, and could have been more. Bennett was outstanding. Atmosphere was unreal too.

What a win for Edinburgh ,13-5 down to Bordeaux in the last 10 mins and come back for a 15-13 win, great Visser try, could be the key man for Scotland this autumn and beyond.

He'll have to go some to get in ahead of Maitland and Seymour based on their performances today (assuming Seymour is ok, he went off at half time).

Agree Visser is a real weapon in attack, but his defence is still in question for me.

Depth on the wings eh? Not been like that for a while!

I suspect that had more to do with the Kurtley Beale affair than the shit results.

plus his connection to the woman that Beale offended and some waffle from one commentator about a lot of the squad annoyed about a QLD bias.

How well are Cusiter and Laidlaw playing in England? Are they both seeing much in the way of game time?

I thought Cusiter would be a big loss for Glasgow this season but Pyrgos is doing a great job at filling his boots so far. 9 & 10 pairing of Pyrgos and Weir for the AI tests?

How well are Cusiter and Laidlaw playing in England? Are they both seeing much in the way of game time?

I thought Cusiter would be a big loss for Glasgow this season but Pyrgos is doing a great job at filling his boots so far. 9 & 10 pairing of Pyrgos and Weir for the AI tests?

Cusiter has started every game for Sale and has 2 trys

Laidlaw has played stated 5 and came on as a sub once all at Scum half with 11 conversions and 14 pens

I'd probably go with Pyrgos and Weir too, I was very critical of the latter last year but he's started this season in good form, as has Pyrgos. If those two get the nod you're probably looking at an all Glasgow back line, with Seymour and Maitland on wings, Dunbar and Horne/Bennett in the centre and Hogg at full back, with Lamont covering from the bench.

Only Edinburgh players I can see getting in the team would be Dickinson and Ford, and they'd be a 50/50 toss up over Reid and Lawson. Murray at tighthead then Hamilton and both Grays in the matchday squad, and the Killer B's in the back row.

I've also noticed that Scotland U20 cap Scott Steele has been London Irish's first choice scrum half this season.

Delighted I sacked St Mirren losing to 10 man Inverness for the Bath game. (I couldn't give my season ticket away for the Saints game, but loads of offers to take the rugby one!)

I thought Glasgow were excellent, even down a couple of key figures.

Pyrgos was good, although slightly concerned he gets too isolated at the pick and go. Maitland looked excellent yesterday as did Seymour and Weir was super at 10.

Good win for Glasgow, and bodes well for Scotland as they started with 14 scots, (Nakarawa they only non scot).

Saw some of the 1st half of Sale Munster and Cuisiter look good, he would just shade it over Pyrgos for me, with Laidlaw 3rd choice at the moment.

Weir should be at 10, although if Finn Russell had been back from injury sooner and had more game time it would have been close with not much to choose between the 2.

Saw Barclay in the Toulon game and he seem to be playing well also. Its going to be interesting seeing who gets the nods for the November tests.

Just out of interest, how far away is Straus from being eligible to play? Is this his 2nd or 3rd season with Glasgow?

Edited by honestly united

Just out of interest, how far away is Straus from being eligible to play? Is this his 2nd or 3rd season with Glasgow?

My recollection is he signed Summer of '12 and he'd be eligible just before the World Cup. When I say just before, I mean a week or something.

Meanwhile in rugby league it was a good start to the European Cup for Scotland who - inspired by Danny Brough - comfortably dispatched Wales 42-10 in Workington. However the surprise result was in Dublin where Ireland beat France 22-12.

Ireland - the only entrant getting to host 2 ties at home - welcome Scotland this weekend, in what's now a crunch match. France and Wales meet in Albi.

SCOTLAND 2014 VIAGOGO AUTUMN TEST SQUAD

FORWARDS:

Adam Ashe (Glasgow Warriors),

Johnnie Beattie (Castres),

Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors),

Blair Cowan, Geoff Cross (both London Irish),

Alasdair Dickinson, Ross Ford (both Edinburgh Rugby),

Chris Fusaro (Glasgow Warriors),

Grant Gilchrist CAPTAIN (Edinburgh Rugby),

Robert Harley, Jonny Gray (both Glasgow Warriors),

Richie Gray (Castres),

Scott Lawson (Newcastle Falcons),

Kieran Low (London Irish),

Euan Murray, Gordon Reid (both Glasgow Warriors)

Alasdair Strokosch (USA Perpignan),

Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors).

BACKS:

Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors),

Chris Cusiter (Sale Sharks),

Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors),

Dougie Fife, Tom Heathcote (both Edinburgh Rugby),

Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors),

Greig Laidlaw (Gloucester),

Sean Lamont, Sean Maitland, Finn Russell, Henry Pyrgos, Tommy Seymour (all Glasgow Warriors),

Duncan Taylor (Saracens),

Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby),

Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors).

Invited to train with the squad:

Allan Dell (Edinburgh Rugby),

Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors),

Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby).

Not considered through injury:

David Denton (returning from injury, Edinburgh Rugby),

Ryan Grant (returning from injury, Glasgow Warriors),

Ruaridh Jackson (knee, London Wasps),

Ross Rennie (knee, Bristol Rugby),

Matt Scott (shoulder, Edinburgh Rugby),

Jon Welsh, Ryan Wilson (both returning from injury, Glasgow Warriors).