Rugby Union

kiwififer

That's disgusting.

We have all swung a punch in a game out of frustration. The follow up on the ground should see a lengthy ban though.

Yep, I can understand him retaliating to getting cleaned out with a forearm smash, but to whack the guy when he is on the ground defenceless was way too much. Are there any precedents for what length of ban he could get?

*edit* Glasgow lost 29-9 to Ulster yesterday. Mark Bennett was taken off with what sounded like a nasty neck injury. Hopefully it isn't too bad.

Feared the worst during the week when I saw Owens was the ref, don't think I've ever seen Glasgow win with him in charge. Saw on Twitter last night that Bennett was taken off as a precaution and he was up and walking around after the game.

Yep, I can understand him retaliating to getting cleaned out with a forearm smash, but to whack the guy when he is on the ground defenceless was way too much. Are there any precedents for what length of ban he could get?

Grade F offence, minimum 8 game ban.

Flower will be lucky not to get charged with assault by the police. Obviously that opens up a huge can of worms but its hard to see how they can just let it slide. That second punch is horrific.

Agree but I think when asaults are so clearly outwith the boundaries of the actual sport taking place it's hard to argue how punching someone defenceless on the ground on a rugby field in front of tens of millions of people isn't as bad as doing the same on the street outside a night club or similar.

Duncan Ferguson got a three-month prison sentence for a headbut in '94. Similarly a headbut was clearly not part of football in the same way that punching someone in the face as they lie prone on the turf isn't in the rugby coaching manual.

I don't think he could complain if a case was brought....wouldn't be short on witnesses either would they.

Agree but I think when asaults are so clearly outwith the boundaries of the actual sport taking place it's hard to argue how punching someone defenceless on the ground on a rugby field in front of tens of millions of people isn't as bad as doing the same on the street outside a night club or similar.

Duncan Ferguson got a three-month prison sentence for a headbut in '94. Similarly a headbut was clearly not part of football in the same way that punching someone in the face as they lie prone on the turf isn't in the rugby coaching manual.

I don't think he could complain if a case was brought....wouldn't be short on witnesses either would they.

Really ? Do you not think there is a difference between a sporting event and everyday life ? Should every footballer who ankle taps another player be arrested too, what about cricketers not walking, should that be put down as fraud.

Seems to have been lost over the years but Ferguson would not have served time if he wasn't already on probation.

Think the question was always why take him through the courts and not do the same for every other player who commits an assault during a sporting contest.

Given that a an extended six month ban has been given out I can't see the police getting involved as all parties seem to be accepting of the decision.

Really ? Do you not think there is a difference between a sporting event and everyday life ? Should every footballer who ankle taps another player be arrested too, what about cricketers not walking, should that be put down as fraud.

No I don't.think there should be a difference.

Reckless or wild in sport like a bad lunge in football a clothes line tackle illegally stopping an opponent in rugby normally involves some form of actually playing the sport they are there to play. There are flare ups too ...rugby in particular has the odd punch swung...no problem with the sport disciplining that.

Pinning an already defenceless man to the floor and driving a punch into his head....that's just common assault....no place on a sports field.

There has been countless attacks on officials where the footballer/rugby player has been jailed....arguably these guys had a least a chance to avoid and assault a chance to run even but this was a guy lying virtually out cold having potentially permanent damge done to him....blokes felled in the street have died from less.....where do you draw the line a fatality ? For me this crossed the line.

Well done Saints for winning their first trophy in 6 years though....

Yep, it's a pity it's been overshadowed. Yes, Wigan ran them close with a man short but it's worth remembering that Saints have a young side and they were ravaged by injuries too.