Rugby Union

kiwififer

Out of all the teams left in WC the only teams I would like seeing winning are Japan and France. Unfortunately they have as much chance as Boris Johnson getting his Brexit plan through on Saturday.

What teams would you be happy winning the world cup?

What teams do you definitely not want winning the world cup.?

Of what is left, I'd like to see them win in the following order:

1. Japan

2. France

3. SA

4. Oz

5. NZ

6. Ireland

7. Wales

8. England

NZ are only so low because they've won it the last 2 and it would be good for the game for someone else to win it. The bottom 3 are obvious and interchangeable.

Even if it sold out I would imagine the ticket prices would be around the £5 / 10 mark to be afordable to the majority of the population of Samoa, so they would have taken approx £250k, but have to pay for NZ to travel over (and probably a few for them to play), training facilities, hotels etc, flying players over from Europe etc.
Its like Georgia (who have a similar GDP to the pacific nations) fill the main stadium in Tblisi but only charge €5/10 for each game.
Edit to add
Also having just checked NZ have played Samoa 7 times - Scotland (11), Wales (10) and England (8) have all played them more times
Game was played on a wednesday, only 8000 fans apparenetly.
Exactly this, Ben Ryan said that in his interview the other week. Although a visit from a Tier 1 country is always welcome, it's not a money spinner because they can only charge a few quid for a ticket. Charge any more then the place would be empty. Unless the visiting team is willing to pay for the trip themselves then they probably do lose money.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:
4 hours ago, honestly united said:
Even if it sold out I would imagine the ticket prices would be around the £5 / 10 mark to be afordable to the majority of the population of Samoa, so they would have taken approx £250k, but have to pay for NZ to travel over (and probably a few for them to play), training facilities, hotels etc, flying players over from Europe etc.
Its like Georgia (who have a similar GDP to the pacific nations) fill the main stadium in Tblisi but only charge €5/10 for each game.
Edit to add
Also having just checked NZ have played Samoa 7 times - Scotland (11), Wales (10) and England (8) have all played them more times
Game was played on a wednesday, only 8000 fans apparenetly.

Exactly this, Ben Ryan said that in his interview the other week. Although a visit from a Tier 1 country is always welcome, it's not a money spinner because they can only charge a few quid for a ticket. Charge any more then the place would be empty. Unless the visiting team is willing to pay for the trip themselves then they probably do lose money.

I think the only way to change it is to have

a) proper qualifiers for the world cup so more Tier 2 and Tier 3 get a chance of a game against one of the Tier 1 nations, and they wont be paying out huge sums they are now for friendlies as they have to go and play

b) Having a proper continental cup every 4 years between world cups. It would probably mean the end of the Lions but in this day and age its fairly meaningless (well for us anyway as about 2 token scots get picked each time!)

1. France

I like France. They’ve been to three finals and lost all three. They’re long overdue. And it would annoy English Rugby Wankers

2. Japan

Even if they only make the semi’s it will lift some of the gloom surrounding our exit. English pundits would cheer them which is why they’re number two on this list.

3. NZ

I’m an eighth Kiwi which isn’t quite enough for me to be eligible. There are probably other reasons I never became an all black

4. Australia

A hard team to like but the thought of Israel Falau having to watch it on the telly puts them into the top half of the list

5 Ireland

Again it would make our group stage exit look a bit better if Ireland win the bloody thing.

6 South Africa

Dreadful people. Edinburgh pubs are unbearable when they’re at Murrayfield. Make pissed up Irishmen seem pleasant by comparison

7. Wales

Horrible nasty second rate Englishmen playing horribly dull Rugby. If they win the World Cup with it then the IRB need to change the laws to stop people following their example

8. England

Once was enough

All placing are provisional and subject to constant revision should circumstances change. For example if I get ill after eating dodgy Sushi or get off with Katherine Jenkins.

I would go:

1. Japan - For obvious reasons.

2. South Africa - With the exception of the New Zealand group game, they have been superb of late.

3. New Zealand - Great to watch and at least some of their arrogance stems from the fact that they usually are the best.

4. France - They're too shite and inconsistent to really want them to win, but I certainly wouldn't object to it.

5. Australia - Meh

6. England - We've put up with them winning before and their media are intolerable regardless.

7. Ireland - Would probably be above England if it wasn't for Johnny Sexton. Couldn't put up with that smug p***k winning the World Cup.

8. Wales - God no.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

I'd go in this order.

Japan - Love their spirit and two fingers to World Rugby. They'd have to accommodate them in 6 nations or rugby championship.

France- Good guys and grew up admiring their rugby. Yes they are arrogant but that's their whole culture unlike some.

South Africa - bit meh for me tbh, but I like their coach and captain.

New Zealand- only above Oz because of my dislike to cheika. Expected to win, best team no fair play if they do.

Australia - Not any lower than this due to the rest below. Cheika the winge turns me right off them.

England - Eddie Jones is a fanny, media are fannys, Farrell is a fanny but I don't mind their supporters tbh... Always found them quite balanced - maybe with smugness but not overinflated

Ireland - Only above Wales because Schmidt is a gid guy and Gatland ain't. However much of their current team Sexton, Murray et al are arrogant wankers and much of their most recent team O'Driscoll, Heaslip et al are too. Paul O'Connell is a good guy tho.

Wales - Dreadful team to watch, absolute cock of manager and arrogant fans. Nuff said