Rugby Union

kiwififer

Matt Taylor and Jonathan Humphryes have extended there Scotland (and in Taylor case also Glasgow) until 2017 which is the same as Cotter, Townsend and Solomons.

The RFU have shown some SFA style competence by announcing there new forwards coach before getting permission from his club to speak to him.

Matt Taylor and Jonathan Humphryes have extended there Scotland (and in Taylor case also Glasgow) until 2017 which is the same as Cotter, Townsend and Solomons.

The RFU have shown some SFA style competence by announcing there new forwards coach before getting permission from his club to speak to him.

There are also reports that Chris Robshaw will be binned from the captaincy to be replaced by that consummate professional Dylan Hartley.

There are also reports that Chris Robshaw will be binned from the captaincy to be replaced by that consummate professional Dylan Hartley.

Just spat out my cornflakes when I heard that on the beeb there. Good hooker, but a fkn idiot. He's spent over a year of his career banned for various things including biting and gouging, and missed the world cup after being banned for a headbutt. Not instantly obvious captaincy material, or maybe it's just top trolling by Eddie Jones. Iirc he also got a red card in a Premiership final for calling Wayne Barnes a "fkn cheat". Classy character.

Just spat out my cornflakes when I heard that on the beeb there. Good hooker, but a fkn idiot. He's spent over a year of his career banned for various things including biting and gouging, and missed the world cup after being banned for a headbutt. Not instantly obvious captaincy material, or maybe it's just top trolling by Eddie Jones. Iirc he also got a red card in a Premiership final for calling Wayne Barnes a "fkn cheat". Classy character.

he did in 2013 and it cost him a place in the Lions squad that summer. He has had a 26wk ban for gouging two players in one game, 8wk ban for biting an opposition player, 2wk ban for q punch, n 11wk ban for verbal abuse of a match official, 3wk ban for elbowing an opponent and a 4wk ban for headbutting an opponent.

All those bans were for shitebag offences too - any time the going really gets tough, hardman Hartley goes missing. Loves a cheap shot.

He's a pretty average player too - Jamie George (the Sarries hooker he stuck the head on before RWC) is a far better player, and doesn't have the same discipline issues.

Of course, he's a media favourite, so will always be promoted. Interesting that it is also rarely mentioned that he's not even English!

Captain material

he can slightly blame his fly half for kicking the ball out on the full to award the opposition the scrum. But after he had been warned about the way he was speaking to the ref he should have kept his mouth shut.

he can slightly blame his fly half for kicking the ball out on the full to award the opposition the scrum. But after he had been warned about the way he was speaking to the ref he should have kept his mouth shut.

Indeed. That's still utterly dreadful refereeing though.

Indeed. That's still utterly dreadful refereeing though.

I'm not normally one to defend Barnes, but he gave Hartley a clear warning about his conduct, told Myler a number of times that he could not put it straight out, and then rightly took action when a player - the captain of one of the teams, no less - called him a f*cking cheat.

Not sure how you can get "utterly dreadful" from that tbh.

I'm not normally one to defend Barnes, but he gave Hartley a clear warning about his conduct, told Myler a number of times that he could not put it straight out, and then rightly took action when a player - the captain of one of the teams, no less - called him a f*cking cheat.

Not sure how you can get "utterly dreadful" from that tbh.

Because clearly neither player understood the instructions. He didn't explain why you can't kick it straight out either. I'm not convinced Hartley did say that directly to the referee (going by those highlights only).

Because clearly neither player understood the instructions. He didn't explain why you can't kick it straight out either. I'm not convinced Hartley did say that directly to the referee (going by those highlights only).

The referee doesn't have to explain why though. Fact is he said clearly the game must restart. The ball can't go straight out. It also doesn't matter if it was aimed directly at Barnes or not calling the ref a cheat is not on in any sport. Hartley never denied it once. He apologised for letting the team down in later interviews.

Then both players are complete morons.

He clearly tells Myler that the game has to restart before half time can take place and therefore he can't put it straight out (twice in fact), and the reasoning to Hartley before the scrum takes place. At that level of the game, the referee is perfectly entitled to give those instructions under the assumption that the players know the laws - there is no requirement for him to whip out his law book and show them the page when he gives them a warning/instruction.

The referee giving players instruction is a courtesy. It is up to the player to know a restart is required.

Barnes is a nob but he is spot on here.

Exactly, I've never played the game but even I know you can't put a kick off or a drop out straight into touch.

Northampton and Racing 92 drew 9-9 last night in what appears to have been a bit of a boring game. That puts Racing on top of the section with 12 points from 3 games and Saints second with 10 from 4. A repeat of last week's bonus point win for the Warriors would also put them on 10 points from 3 games.