Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Penicuik Ath 1-1 Drumchapel Utd. Pretty standard preseason game this one with both teams showing signs of rust. Drumchapel will probably feel they did enough to win this but failure to convert chances in the first half and fine finish from Penicuik’s no. 22 meant they had to settle for the draw. 

IMG_9036.jpeg

IMG_9035.jpeg

Dumbarton 2-3 Hebburn Town.

Took in this cross border pre-season friendly after a busy morning and early afternoon. Dumbarton outmuscled by their eighth tier English opponents, who made so many changes at half time that they came out for the second half in a totally different kit.

An alarming amount of sand on the pitch, I have no idea how it's going to survive the winter with Broomhill sharing if it's in that state in July.

20230701_150249.jpg

20230701_160701.jpg

Kelty Hearts 2 Raith Rovers 2 (Rovers won on penalties).

Fife Cup encounter at Kelty. Only came so I could tick it off for £10 instead of whatever passes as a gate fee here for normal games. Good crowd in for this, 800 odd Fifers. 

Highlight of the day was walking over the Forth Road Bridge beforehand. (I didn’t walk on to Kelty, in case you wondered.)

IMG_7632.jpeg

IMG_7643.jpeg

...and so it begins again.
Penicuik 1 Drumchapel Utd 1.
The Rookie Cuikie are outclassed for long spells in this PSF in front of about 100, but grab a late equaliser. Entry by donation.
image.thumb.jpeg.f8086a6ec620804d99b50ced595df24e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.006abfa3b5b9df63aa91b6648bbb5357.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2027d6dea2603875603bac869dd3cc38.jpeg

Enjoyed a visit to Hill Of Beath v Gala today, £3 entry, £1 programme, crowd of around 70.  Didn’t sample the Doner pie which I much regret now.  

3-0 to the visitors, though HOB weren’t without chances, they just couldn’t get any on target. Gala’s 2nd was a nice finish from about the half way line, didn’t think the goalie was too far off his line, but it was a strong and accurate finish.

IMG_2039.thumb.jpeg.26d9bbd5ed1212c629f1e7100c429604.jpeg

IMG_2032.jpeg

IMG_2030.jpeg

Edited by Cowdenleith

Couple of games today,strathspey2-nairn st ninian 1 preseason friendly for an hour then headed off to ardersier for the Inverness afa division 2 final,G16 1-ck interiors 4

Decent crowd of about 150 which caused traffic&parking chaos,all weather from burning sunshine to torrential gale driven rain.enjoyable game and some nice goals

IMG_20230701_151519_1.jpg

IMG_20230701_151509.jpg

3 hours ago, The Mantis said:

The Rookie Cuikie are outclassed for long spells in this PSF in front of about 100, but grab a late equaliser. Entry by donation.

Think I walked passed you as you took the second picture. 

31 minutes ago, Jute said:

Think I walked passed you as you took the second picture. 

Ah the bloke with the backpack 😉 or maybe not, that was the third pic.

Edited by The Mantis

Breidablik 5-0 Budocnost Podgorica

Att: 845

Bit of a bucket list one for me as I managed to get to a Champions League preliminary round game before they do away with them for the 24/25 season.

The CL preliminary round is a mini-tournament contested each year by the champions of the countries with the four worst coefficients in UEFA. The club from the country with the fourth worst coefficient hosts both the semi-finals and a final over a four day period. This year the hosts were Breidablik of Iceland and the other three countries represented were Montenegro, San Marino and Andorra.

I couldn’t make it over for the semis due to work commitments, which was disappointing, but still pleased to get to the final contested by Breidablik and Budocnost. Expected a lot more from the Montenegrins - no idea why - but Breidablik were up by 4 by half-time. They will now play Shamrock Rovers in the first round and it’ll be interesting to see how they get on as they played some really good football in this one. Decent atmosphere created by the youngest ultras group I’ve ever seen and a nice little ground. They were selling knock-off Big Macs which were very good too.IMG_4998.thumb.jpeg.96d72d4d7870ad588f51b867fe126366.jpeg

Edited by An Eejit Abroad

7 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I see Oor Wullie should cut down on the mince and tatties

8 hours ago, An Eejit Abroad said:

Breidablik 5-0 Budocnost Podgorica

Att: 845

Bit of a bucket list one for me as I managed to get to a Champions League preliminary round game before they do away with them for the 24/25 season.

The CL preliminary round is a mini-tournament contested each year by the champions of the countries with the four worst coefficients in UEFA. The club from the country with the fourth worst coefficient hosts both the semi-finals and a final over a four day period. This year the hosts were Breidablik of Iceland and the other three countries represented were Montenegro, San Marino and Andorra.

I couldn’t make it over for the semis due to work commitments, which was disappointing, but still pleased to get to the final contested by Breidablik and Budocnost. Expected a lot more from the Montenegrins - no idea why - but Breidablik were up by 4 by half-time. They will now play Shamrock Rovers in the first round and it’ll be interesting to see how they get on as they played some really good football in this one. Decent atmosphere created by the youngest ultras group I’ve ever seen and a nice little ground. They were selling knock-off Big Macs which were very good too.IMG_4998.thumb.jpeg.96d72d4d7870ad588f51b867fe126366.jpeg

Need to persuade Mrs Mantis to go back to Iceland (insert joke here). Been to a few grounds there, think I passed that one on the bus on the way to Stjarnan.

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Need to persuade Mrs Mantis to go back to Iceland (insert joke here). Been to a few grounds there, think I passed that one on the bus on the way to Stjarnan.

I got a good deal with Play out of Canada and back to the US which was how I managed to justify it. Probably the best budget airline I’ve been on to date (based on a very small sample size mind) and I believe they fly from Glasgow too.

You will indeed have seen it on the bus to Stjarnan. On the left as you head south out of Reykjavik. 

Those who have done all or most of the spfl games, where have you found is the best stadium for parking? And what one is the worst? Got to admit, so far not had any problems with the ones i have been to. I am starting to plan for next season and just something i need to consider when planning journey times. 

I can’t think of a single ground where I wouldn’t be able to drive over, at a reasonable time, park for free (without annoying a local), and walk a short distance to the ground.

Even when going to Hampden for Scotland games, there are places to go, and places to avoid.

If you don’t know the area around a particular ground, just do a wee scout on Google Maps, and you’ll find somewhere to aim for no bother.

The only difficult place immediately springing to mind is Firhill, but only because I’m still trying to get my head around the new(ish) parking restrictions in that part of town. 

St Roch's 1-3 Clyde, Paul Kelly Memorial Cup Final, Petershill Park, 02/07/23.

The Bully Wee claim the first of what I'm sure will be an avalanche of silverware this season, with three goals from the fabled Trialist bothers.

The team was a mix of the familiar and the unknown. A couple of the trialists looked decent, but it's often hard to tell.

Still, Happy New Season, everyone.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by DoingThe42

1 hour ago, buchan30 said:

Those who have done all or most of the spfl games, where have you found is the best stadium for parking? And what one is the worst? Got to admit, so far not had any problems with the ones i have been to. I am starting to plan for next season and just something i need to consider when planning journey times. 

Most of the newer ones have ample parking. Difficult ones will be the older grounds when there's a bigger crowd bur never anything too horrendous 

1 hour ago, buchan30 said:

I found getting parked at Partick Thistle a massive pain in the arse last season. Didn't help that I ran into some shocking traffic on the way there and was about an hour later than I thought I would be. Made it in for kick-off just in time after a 15-minute walk/jog.

Hibs wasn't great. Lots of tramworks etc going on, and I ended up parking at a mate's miles away and getting the bus. Maybe if you know the area, it's fine. But that was a nightmare. Driving in Edinburgh in general is just horrific. Tynecastle is maybe also intimidating for parking to the casual visitor, but I know some places there and it's fine.

That aside, I can't really think of anywhere I've had trouble. Elgin was probably the best for parking, as I parked for free about twenty seconds' walk from the turnstyle. Similarly piss-easy at Forfar, Peterhead, Stranraer, East Fife, Queen of the South, Accies,

You can definitely park for free within five/ten minutes' walk at Annan, Stenhousemuir, Motherwell, Dundee (United), Morton, Raith, Dunfermline, Alloa, Edinburgh, Kelty, Dumbarton, Bonnyigg, St Mirren. Ross County I had maybe just more than a ten-minute walk last season. Usually just go on the train, but it was a fucking Sunday.

Used the (paid) ground carparks at Falkirk, ICT, and St Johnstone. Fine, but a pain in the arse to get away.

The rest I've not driven to, but gone on the train.

Edited by DoingThe42

Cheers. East Fife is the easiest for me because i am 5 minutes walk from the house. Stenny, alloa I didn’t have any problems with. Kelty was a bit of a pain, Arbroath and Hamilton were ok as there are car parks near by as well.