Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Many folk had their Real or Barca tops on and the electronic scoreboard was keeping them up to date with the big two who both had fixtures that night.

I don't think many people realise how lucky we are in Scotland (and a select number of other countries). Yes, the ugly sisters dominate, but you don't go to Dunfermline vs Hamilton and see adults wearing Celtic or Sevco shirts. That sort of thing is the norm in a great many countries.

It was my old man's 70th recently and wanted to treat him to an Arsenal game as that's his English club (tbf he lived near London for a while and his dad supported Chelsea) so we went to Arsenal v Brentford on Saturday. I've been there before (and to Highbury, which was incredibly tight amongst the houses in that area) but it was the first time he'd been and it exceeded his expectations. Took the tube to Highbury and Islington then walked the rest but just walked back to St Pancras after the game (about 45 mins). Even though we were up in the upper tier (but with a great view) you don't feel you're far from the action like at some grounds (Newcastle, even Celtic Park) and the seats are dead comfy. A decent atmosphere too despite the reputation of Arsenal fans of being quiet. 

The game itself was OK, Arsenal well deserved their win and should have been out of sight before Brentford got a late goal to make it a nervous last 30 seconds or so. VAR intervened a few times but strangely didn't when Lacazette seemed to be brought down in the 6 yard box and it was a bit frustrating waiting for the decision and not seeing what they were looking at. Brentford looked like a struggling team devoid of ideas and were happy to soak up pressure then hoof it hoping the Arsenal defence would make a mistake. Arsenal play some nice football and Smith-Rowe looks a good player. I was interested to see Martin Odergaard play; he took up some clever positions and is a lovely player but his decision  making and finishing needs a lot of work. All too often he chose a pass when a shot was on or looked back or sideways when a teammate was in a better area.

Programme was £3.50 but was 76 pages and had a lot of stuff about the academy sides and women's teams, as well as fan interviews, a bit about the "Gay Gunners" supporters club - the front had a rainbow badge rather than a red one for the issue - and their charitable foundation. Didn't get food or drink but say that while the food was expensive (about £7 for a burger I think), a tea or coffee was only £2.70 which is about what you'd pay at some SPFL grounds. 

Overall a good day out and a nice place to watch a game.

20220219_163348.jpg

On 20/02/2022 at 14:21, The Mantis said:

Many folk had their Real or Barca tops on and the electronic scoreboard was keeping them up to date with the big two who both had fixtures that night.

I suppose you could make a case for that with Tenerife being such a major holiday location given how their club's football shirt is essential holiday wear for many fans. 

24 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

It was my old man's 70th recently and wanted to treat him to an Arsenal game as that's his English club (tbf he lived near London for a while and his dad supported Chelsea) so we went to Arsenal v Brentford on Saturday. I've been there before (and to Highbury, which was incredibly tight amongst the houses in that area) but it was the first time he'd been and it exceeded his expectations.

Never having been I always looked on the main stand at Highbury as this impressive huge structure that needed to be seen. On the first trip to the Emirates we walked round to Highbury after the game and I was disappointed at how small it actually was. It was a bit 'never meet your heroes' ish probably not helped by having just left its massive successor. 

1 hour ago, Charles Stiles said:

I suppose you could make a case for that with Tenerife being such a major holiday location given how their club's football shirt is essential holiday wear for many fans. 

Never having been I always looked on the main stand at Highbury as this impressive huge structure that needed to be seen. On the first trip to the Emirates we walked round to Highbury after the game and I was disappointed at how small it actually was. It was a bit 'never meet your heroes' ish probably not helped by having just left its massive successor. 

Aye, it's impressive in a way but not big. When I was there I was sat in the lower tier of the stand opposite and it was very dark under the tier above and it wasn't a great view. It was a proper old stadium though and I always thought the new North Bank stand that was built behind the goal was a very graceful looking bit of stadium architecture. 

On 20/02/2022 at 12:47, GroundhopScot said:

https://groundhopscot.wordpress.com/2022/02/20/club-39-279-east-craigie/

East Craigie 8-0 Downfield
Probably the best I've ever been treated by a club. Even sat in the manager's office after the game just talking football.
Give it a read if you can, and get down there for a warm welcome!

East Craigie 1.jpeg

East Craigie 2.jpeg

East Craigie 3.jpeg

East Craigie 6.jpeg

Are you one these of these groundhoppers who just love to tell clubs that you're visiting, so they can rollout the red carpet? I love groundhopping but not to a fanfare, just arrive, pay my money, watch the game then leave. Can't be bothered with folk like the fitba nomad or that price on YouTube  footy adventures or whatever he calls himself.

Edited by B75

21 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Aye, it's impressive in a way but not big. When I was there I was sat in the lower tier of the stand opposite and it was very dark under the tier above and it wasn't a great view. It was a proper old stadium though and I always thought the new North Bank stand that was built behind the goal was a very graceful looking bit of stadium architecture. 

Was that the stand you entered in between houses? I love grounds that has/had that. A great throwback to when grounds were for the locals!

3 hours ago, B75 said:

Are you one these of these groundhoppers who just love to tell clubs that you're visiting, so they can rollout the red carpet? I love groundhopping but not to a fanfare, just arrive, pay my money, watch the game then leave. Can't be bothered with folk like the fitba nomad or that price on YouTube  footy adventures or whatever he calls himself.

Have never asked for any special treatment. Of the 39 games I've 'blogged' Four clubs have offered to show me about beforehand - two of the people that reached out were regular readers and I've always paid into games. A lot of the time I haven't spoken to a soul.
I've no doubt some of the clubs go an extra length for a bit of good PR, but it is what it is.
After travelling around Scotland solo, getting a wee 5 minute craic with a club official or supporter helps learn more about the clubs (which is a big part of why I do this) is a big bonus - meeting people is part of the experience.
The blogs a diary I keep so I can look back on it all, doubt there's many that've done every club in Scotland. If people want to get involved then they can.
Hope that clears it up.

Clydebank 2-1 Blantyre Victoria.

Bankies took an early lead before being reduced to ten men midway through the first half. Vics battled hard but rarely threatened, before equalising in the dying minutes. Late drama though as the hosts were awarded a stoppage time penalty to take all three points, with Blantyre also having a man sent off on the aftermath.

20220222_205304.jpg

Last night saw me at Stamford Bridge for F.A Youth Cup quarter final v Blackpool. Mad rush from Bristol for 6pm k.o ! Trying to catch a game in every round Inc the final, just a fetish I have ⚽ Chelsea 3-2 att 1097 Inc prob 100+ away. Excellent game with talent on show,01/11/21/22/32. The Seasiders gave it a real go,missing a couple of chances late on to level at 3-3,  bit surprised at the small crowd tbh. Only £5 so can't grumble.

Posted this in Champions League forum but then realised might be better in here for advice.

Was thinking of going to Paris for the weekend of Champions League final with 3 mates (did it for Madrid Liverpool v Spurs and was a great trip).

Never been to Paris for 30 years and never for football (unlikely to get a ticket in ballot).

Anybody got any tips for a potential final weekend in Paris?

Such as places/areas to stay that might be good for fans.  Which airports should I consider etc?

Cheers in advance

Wigan 0-3 Sunderland. Neither team played particularly well but Sunderland were the better team. Assuming this was an off day for Wigan as they did look like a team that are challenging at the top of the league.

ED8A8847-C396-4F96-8BC3-6655B667CB55.jpeg

A865C129-A73D-43A9-B641-A1CC19A91AE1.jpeg

C1947B98-1397-4280-B612-4822C9D25542.jpeg

Edited by Jute

https://groundhopscot.wordpress.com/2022/02/27/club-40-279-formartine-united/

Formartine United 5-2 Lossiemouth

Only my second match in a Highland League ground and it was good to spot Russell Anderson in the dugout. 
Formartine deserved the win based on the chances they created but Lossiemouth did well to make a game of it.
Also picked up a Formartine shirt for £15. Bargain!

Write up attached, give it a wee read if you can!

Formartine 1.jpeg

Formartine 2.jpeg

Formartine 3.png

Drumchapel United AFC v Bullwood AFC. The Sunday West District Cup Final 2019/20.

2-1 to Drumchapel at HT, coming back from losing their goalie to a bad injury and then going a goal down early in match. Bullwood looked quite comfortable for a long spell.

Missed a goal - and this is a first - because I was distracted by a collection of dinosaurs over by the corner flag.

First visit to the Accies since 1992, and my first visit to this new ground. Not enormously taken by the place. 43844872bf250db4c49c3b10334b3686.jpgd9f649ba5d7fcbcde423378d0326bf2b.jpg790ad5d9c4a1c33f24e8c3dc9fe05ff7.jpg