Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Carlisle United 1-4 Bolton Wanderers at Brunton Park in EFL League One. 

This was not much of a contest, despite it going into second-half stoppage-time at just 2-1. Bolton were vastly superior to Carlisle in every department, who I have seen twice this season in the flesh and are nowhere near being a competitive team at third-tier level. Bolton, however, were genuinely impressive; they moved the ball well, they were very fluid, had lots of energy across the park, and they were clinical when they got their chances.

There were numerous impressive individual performances amongst the away side, but midfielder Josh Sheehan stood out as particularly good. A metronomic performance in the middle of the park and a lovely range of passes, including the assist for the opening goal.

The 3,000 jubilant away fans pictured shortly before full-time. They made a good noise throughout.

image.png.32e07c55723860b67f65347be4d27326.png

Edited by DrewDon

I went to Penicuik v Tynecastle. Or rather due to roadworks at Straiton and Penicuik moving the kick off forward due to a bust floodlight I went to 50% of Penicuik v Tynecastle. I had wondered why I didn't have to pay when I wandered in. Thanks to the Penicuik committee man who fetched me a programme to buy at half time too. 

The Rookie Cookie were sitting on an early 1-0 lead but Tynecastle equalised with a good volley and tended to look the better team even after they had a player sent off. The lady assistant ref had some good natured banter with the crowd too. Tynecastle's Combe caught the eye, maybe destined for bigger things? 

peni1.thumb.jpg.33772f02c10ec10af4eef8317fa8d2a6.jpg

A picturesque ground is Penicuik's

peni2.thumb.jpg.2c0d74cf938812580f2a4250f7ad1e8f.jpg

Whitburn 6-3 Vale of Leithen (3-2 HT) @ Central Park 🌱. EOSFL 1st Division. 2pm. The home side 2-0 up and looked to be cruising until Vale fought back 💥 to 2-2 and then 4-3 but Whitburn secured the 3 points with 70th ⚽️ and 90th ⚽️ minute strikes. Crowd 165.

IMG_3518.jpeg

IMG_3519.jpeg

IMG_3520.jpeg

On 25/01/2024 at 23:23, Jives Miguel said:

Looking at going to a game in London, or nearby, on 8th of March. 

Arsenal, QPR, Millwall, Watford, Charlton, Reading and Stevenage all scheduled at home. 

Charlton seems the best in terms of ticket likelihood, but bizarrely looks like the longest journey out of all of them from Central London? 

On 25/01/2024 at 23:56, Bully Wee Villa said:

Yeah, Charlton is a pain in the arse to get to. Millwall fairly central, it's about five-ten minutes on train from London Bridge. Arsenal not too bad, either.

On 27/01/2024 at 01:02, Adamski said:

Arsenal or Millwall - both in terms of easiness to get to and as a football experience.

However, Arsenal tickets won’t come cheap, if you can get them at all. I went to Millwall not long before Covid, and tickets were no problem to buy. The Den is authentic, raw, rough around the edges, and I loved it.

Yeah Millwall is worth a visit just to see the home fans lose there heads over anything.Also worth checking out the tfl website as there's a frequent bus service from central London as London Bridge station can be an "experience" after a Millwall home game .I was about 45 mins on a bus from the Paddington area which worked out quicker and cheaper than tube/train option and was away back on bus straight after the final whistle.Couple of decent boozers not far from the ground aswell Charlton is a complete pain the hole to get too just a pity Wimbledon arent  at home or Barnet 

Hutchison Vale 3-0 Kinnoull. Not as easy a win as the scoreline suggests. Kinnoull were better team in first half but squandered a number of chances and were punished when Hutchison Vale scored just before and after half time which seemed to knock the stuffing out of Kinnoull. Hutchison Vale were comfortable after that and could even afford to have a penalty saved before scoring a third late on. Both teams played nice football at times and Kinnoull did not look like a team that are struggling to avoid relegation. Was an entertaining game and good way to pass a Sunday afternoon. 

IMG_9465.jpeg

IMG_9466.jpeg

IMG_9467.jpeg

Edited by Jute

Had a busy couple of days to my Portugal jaunt. 4 games already. 

First up was the League cup final in Leiria on Saturday 27th. SC Braga V Estoril Praia. 1-1 (5-4 pens to Braga) crowd 18989. Ticket €20. A4 programme free. A cracking game with Braga mainly in control but Estoril playing a quick counter attacking game. They took the lead in the 5th minute with a VAR checked penalty when Jose Fonte tripped Cassiano, who scored. The penalites were all scored until the last one which was blasted over to give Braga the cup. Shout out to the Estoril fans who never stopped singing for the whole night, despite being out numbered. You all need to check out Ricardo Hortas goal for Braga. Brilliant technique and finish. 

Sunday was a triple header.

First up at 11am was Valadares Gaia women v SC Braga women. 2-1. Crowd 400. Ticket £2. No programmes. 

Another good game, Braga 3rd against 7th placed Valadares. Braga were firm favourites. But it didn't work out that way. Braga scored early with a tap in, but the hosts had a goal disallowed for offside but gained their reward with an equaliser. The second half seen Valadares dominate and gain a well deserved winner. 

Next was Boavista v Portimonense 1-4 at 3.30. Ticket €12.50. Crowd 6719. No programmes. 

Again a shock result as Portimonense put behind their dreadful away record (6 heavy defeats in 9 games). Boavista to be fair weren't as bad as the scoreline suggests. Just that the visitors were clinical in front of goal, Boavista weren't! It was 0-3 at half time. Including a superb free kick from 20 yards. Boavista scored midway through the second half after a headed flick from a corner, but Portimonense scored a fourth on the counter as Boavista got caught trying to get a second. 

Final game of the day was up in Barcelos for the Derby game between Gil Vicente v Vitoria Guimaraes 1-0. Ticket €10. Crowd 7617. No programmes. 

A cracking atmosphere where the crowd appeared bigger than what was given. The game started well with both teams intent on attacking but defences were well on top. It wasn't until the 85th minute when Gil Vicente shocked Vitoria and scored the winner to sent the home fans home very happy. 

20240127_194325.jpg

20240128_105659.jpg

Apologies for lack of randomness but Stark's is one of my favourite visits and Rovers fans won't get this view from the North Stand very often. Took the long awaited opporchancity to visit Betty Nicol's pub. Alex Samuel took the opporchancity to grab the match ball. Rovers 2 ICT 3 and a very healthy 3387 at the game.

IMG_8863.thumb.JPG.34678281b7788112c92b9d51763a967b.JPG

IMG_8864.thumb.JPG.a4d51e06a142dd62b5f72f3dac3d6b04.JPG

IMG_8866.thumb.JPG.1e9fb57ca20feb2c54cc48ec626c0844.JPG

IMG_8869.thumb.JPG.9107fa3702f872801931ab945ccb6842.JPG

Edited by The Mantis

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

Apologies for lack of randomness but Stark's is one of my favourite visits and Rovers fans won't get this view from the North Stand very often. Took the long awaited opporchancity to visit Betty Nicol's pub. Alex Samuel took the opporchancity to grab the match ball. Rovers 2 ICT 3 and a very healthy 3387 at the game.

IMG_8864.thumb.JPG.a4d51e06a142dd62b5f72f3dac3d6b04.JPG

IMG_8866.thumb.JPG.1e9fb57ca20feb2c54cc48ec626c0844.JPG

IMG_8869.thumb.JPG.9107fa3702f872801931ab945ccb6842.JPG

Planned matches you are going to thread for this pish

Penafiel V CD Freiense in the Portuguese 2nd tier. 2-1. Crowd 1240. No programmes. Ticket free (I couldn't find the ticket window and a member just handed me his spare. Saved myself €5/10. Stadium was about 1 mile hike up a very steep set of hills (google maps informed me ot was 'mainly flat' terrain!!!) 

The game was actual decent and entertaining. Penafiel went 2-0 up after 26 minutes when their right winger terrorist the poor left back, and sending in two crossed for fairly identical goals. First was a bullet header the other a tap in after the keeper spilled the initial shot. 

Freiense were much better in the second half though and scored with 20 minutes left when a good move found number 10 alone in the box and he fired into the far corner. Freiense should have left with a point but missed a few other chances. 

The walk back to the station was a lot easier and took half the time as it was vertically down hill... 

A few days off from the football now to do a bit of actual sightseeing 

20240129_181027.jpg

20240129_182241.jpg

Headed down to Lisbon as part of my trip and thankfully found a game after all the messing about Liga Portugal do when scheduling games. And thankfully the only game on turned out to be an absolute thriller! 

A women's Champions league match against SL Benfica v European Champions FC Barcelona 4-4. Ticket was €5, return ferry to Seixal (6.10) where Benfica have their training ground and a 10 minute walk. 

Both teams had already qualified for the knockout stages and Benfica had a horrendous record in the 3 matches they have played against Barcelona (0-9, 2-6 and 0-5) and after 20 minutes of this game I feared another hiding for the hosts cheered on by 2307 fans as they went 0-2 down. But they seem to be made of sturner stuff now as they fought back to 2-2 at half time before going 2-3 down. Benfica then went 4-3 up as an own goal from Lucy Bronze put the home fans in dream land. But Narcelona aren't European Champions for nothing. They laid seige to the Benfica goal and Lucy Bronze made up for her own goal with a 95 minute header from a corner to give both teams a fair share of the points in a breathless game. 

20240131_210602.jpg

20240131_205823.jpg

On 29/01/2024 at 14:36, The Mantis said:

That is a bloody fine selection of ales! :cheers

26 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

That is a bloody fine selection of ales! :cheers

Aye although it’s a bit far from the ground Tam. Stark’s Bar is long gone 😢 Badly miss their double malts of the month or whatever, 2x35 ml they were and well priced.
The ICT mob tend to meet in The Exchequer which has ales, then along to the Penny Farthing which doesn’t but it’s a friendly boozer.
Got a good one lined up this week, weather permitting. I'll tell you but that Nilpferd guy will just have to guess.

Edited by The Mantis

Leith Ath 5-0 Rosyth East of Scotland 1st division. Comfortable win for Leith which moves them further away from the relegation places although they have played a number of games more than the teams below them. First goal was best if the night with a great free kick from Leith number 30. About 100 in attendance. 

IMG_9468.jpeg

IMG_9469.jpeg

Heaven Eleven 6-3 FC Kallon. Orange Liberia First Division League.

It's not often you go to a stadium named after someone who is famous for having some of their fingers and toes chopped off as well as both their ears, all videoed by a political rival, broadcast on the news, then having their decaying corpse displayed in the town centre. But that was 1990s Liberia for you.

The match was played on the small pitch behind the national stadium, about £1.50 a ticket, maybe 2-300 in attendance. There was a schools game on beforehand and though I only watched the first game from one of the bars, there didn't seem to be a huge difference in quality between the two.

The first half hour of the main event didn't offer much, with Heaven Eleven having the majority of the play. In the following hour nine goals rained in.

30' - Heaven XI 𝟭-𝟬 FC Kallon-Liberia 

39' - Heaven XI 𝟭-𝟭 FC Kallon-Liberia 

48' - Heaven XI 𝟮-𝟭 FC Kallon-Liberia 

55' - Heaven XI 𝟯-𝟭 FC Kallon-Liberia

58' - Heaven XI 𝟯-𝟮 FC Kallon-Liberia

63' - Heaven XI 𝟯-𝟯 FC Kallon-Liberia

70' - Heaven XI 𝟰-𝟯 FC Kallon-Liberia

75' - Heaven XI 𝟱-𝟯 FC Kallon-Liberia

89' - Heaven XI 𝟲-𝟯 FC Kallon-Liberia

Generally all well worked with nice finishes (and one never-a-penalty) though the defending was horrific.

It did appear somewhat farcical at points. Although there were a decent number there, and were quick to argue over refereeing decisions, it didn't seem like many were that invested in the result.

Nice view from the only stand and pretty pleasant experience in general.

Got a couple of options for this afternoon, still undecided to which I'll go.

IMG_20240202_153759.jpg

IMG_20240202_164430.jpg

Edited by DiegoDiego

At Nithside Park, Kirkconnel, for the eagerly anticipated Kello Rovers v Irvine Vics league game.

This park is magnificent. Perfect non league ground. I would come back here every single week, if only for the elephant foot sized sausage rolls. 

Irvine Vics have taken an early two goal lead, their second goal was a belter.

Snuck into the Crawick Multiverse before the game, but don’t tell anyone because it’s closed for the season. Especially don’t tell the Duke of Buccleuch that I didn’t pay my fiver to walk over his daft/glorious coal bing sculpture park.

IMG_9944.jpeg

IMG_9947.jpeg

IMG_9938.jpeg

Kinnoul 1-2 Sauchie

Being a bit out there today and visiting a team in Perth who don't have a J in their name.

Kinnoul facing Sauchie in the East Premier. 6th tier for the second week in a row, this is posh though with linesmen and sausage rolls and steak bakes in the pie hut. 

The hosts are having a miserable season with only 4 points. A swift return down to the 1st division is looking like a certainty. The wind was a big factor here with the first two goals both being wind assisted long rangers. The hosts lead at half time but a stunning volley and a well worked corner turns it round for the visitors who take the points back to Clackmannanshire.

Tulloch Park is basic. It's a field, a pavilion and metal fencing round it. Absolutely lovely folk though. I do recommend coming to see a game here. Another successful adventure in Perth. Just St Johnstone and Letham's cage to go

20240203_141649.jpg

20240203_151757.jpg

20240203_154005.jpg