Quick Question Thread

1 minute ago, Dee Man said:

I had my doubts about KB being a Rangers fan after seeing a very articulate and reasonable post on the Aberdeen v Rangers thread the other day. I have no further doubts however after seeing the nick of that garden.

He claims to live in Newton Mearns, but there's no way the local neighbourhood watch there would allow that sort of thing.

59 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I had my doubts about KB being a Rangers fan after seeing a very articulate and reasonable post on the Aberdeen v Rangers thread the other day. I have no further doubts however after seeing the nick of that garden.

Yeah the deck is a state, I've been leaving it till we got rid of the sex bath.  Once I fill in the hole (!) I'm going to clean it and treat it. 

• 1. Smart TV -yes
  • 2. Dyson vacuum cleaner -yes
  • 3. Barbeque - don't even have a garden
  • 4. Vinyl records - no
  • 5. iMac - no
  • 6. Nutribullet - f**k no
  • 7. Antler or Samsonite luggage - I've got an Antler somewhere but it's in the cellar 
  • 8. Wood burning stove - no
  • 9. Spiralizer - oh f**k off 
  • 10. Mulberry bag - no, but it's the dream
  • 11. Matching coasters - yes. Why is this middle class? It's just not being a scaff
  • 12. Boiling water taps - no
  • 13. Hot tub - no
  • 14. Aga range cooker - no
  • 15. Smeg fridge - no
  • 16. Brompton bike - no

Not remotely middle class. 

Anyway, serious question:

I've got a tilt and turn window which seems to be a bit leaky in one corner sometimes (and almost certainly letting heat out throughout the winter). I know it's a Veka brand uPVC window (past it's 10 year guarantee) but not quite sure how to go about getting this fixed, as I'm only a fraction the handyman I should be.  Any thoughts on how to deal with this - head to a window company to get my bank account hammered or is it just a simple job some handyman could do? 

4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I've got a tilt and turn window which seems to be a bit leaky in one corner sometimes (and almost certainly letting heat out throughout the winter). I know it's a Veka brand uPVC window (past it's 10 year guarantee) but not quite sure how to go about getting this fixed, as I'm only a fraction the handyman I should be.  Any thoughts on how to deal with this - head to a window company to get my bank account hammered or is it just a simple job some handyman could do? 

Have you checked the reset button/spring? It could be off its hinges a bit in one corner. There's probably some sort of button on the edges somewhere that you push or pull and simultaneously turn the handle and it will get all the catches back into place so it closes better.

Next step, check all the catches on the window frame align with the sliding catches on the window itself. Could be your problem and all you need is a screwdriver to loosen off and reposition the little catches/keeps on the window frame. A general blast of WD40 on all the moving parts will help. 

3 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Have you checked the reset button/spring? It could be off its hinges a bit in one corner. There's probably some sort of button on the edges somewhere that you push or pull and simultaneously turn the handle and it will get all the catches back into place so it closes better.

Next step, check all the catches on the window frame align with the sliding catches on the window itself. Could be your problem and all you need is a screwdriver to loosen off and reposition the little catches/keeps on the window frame. A general blast of WD40 on all the moving parts will help. 

Cheers, will give it a go although the micro gap(s) seems to be on the handle side rather than on the hinge. 

Water rarely gets through in the corner below the handle (needs to be a pishing doon gale type storm) and I can hear less outside noise from if I push the window in quite firmly along the top.

Edited by Hedgecutter

4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Cheers, will give it a go although the micro gap(s) seems to be on the handle side rather than on the hinge. 

If you open the window and work out where the reset spring is (usually close to the handle but not always) you can then  turn the handle and see how all the mechanisms work and how/where they clamp into the window frame. You'll probably be able to adjust the positioning of the keep/housing bits on the window frame so the window clamps shut much more firmly. YouTube full of videos on this kind of thing too.

Edited by Shandon Par

48 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Anyone mentioned windows opened & heating turned up full yet? 

Grimbo 

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Try some of this round it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STICKY-BACKED-FOAM-SEALING-STRIP-5MTR-ROLL-X-VARIOUS-SIZES-/171973991459?var=&hash=item280a72dc23:m:mcfKZ6p0OcfLPiVyhLQyCBg

• 1. Smart TV -yes
  • 2. Dyson vacuum cleaner -no a vax pet thing but no longer have pets or carpets for that matter
  • 3. Barbeque - not yet
  • 4. Vinyl records - no
  • 5. iMac - no, i like proper computers apple can bite my shite
  • 6. Nutribullet - two. Baby and proper. Both gifts
  • 7. Antler or Samsonite luggage - nope
  • 8. Wood burning stove - no
  • 9. Spiralizer - wife went through a phase of courgetti as part of post baby diet. Rank
  • 10. Mulberry bag - no
  • 11. Matching coasters - yes. With toddler teeth marks- non matching
  • 12. Boiling water taps - no
  • 13. Hot tub - no
  • 14. Aga range cooker - no
  • 15. Smeg fridge - no
  • 16. Brompton bike - no

So im not middle class either

I have bought 5 Dysons in the past 4 years. Does that make me upper middle class?

Nah, just daft more like. 1st one packed in after 2 years. Then bought 3 animal uprights, gave 2 to the kids for their houses and also bought one of the handheld animal ones which is the biggest waste of time. Battery doesn't last long in it and it does not pick up much. My next one will be a Henry as they are the mutts nuts.

29 minutes ago, supermik said:

I have bought 5 Dysons in the past 4 years. Does that make me upper middle class?

Nah, just daft more like. 1st one packed in after 2 years. Then bought 3 animal uprights, gave 2 to the kids for their houses and also bought one of the handheld animal ones which is the biggest waste of time. Battery doesn't last long in it and it does not pick up much. My next one will be a Henry as they are the mutts nuts.

Henry's are for working class scum , sub-human working class scum. 

Well done S-Mik, proud of you. 

Grimbo