Quick Question Thread

48 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Got to the true known 50:50 after n=2 and n=146

Experiment.PNG.db7376d1180b7c705074e13d8cb6cc08.PNG

Could have just stopped at 2, huh. <_<

Eta:  Should point out that some of my work deals with ratios / stats which still remains a bit of a dark art to me, so in a way this was justifiable work.  I'm told I have to work to n=200, but that "150 is usually fine if you can't get 200" (supported by this P&B experiment).  I usually find that counting away until I get 100 of one kind consistently comes away with a steady answer if the things occur in the same proportion.

Magnificent. 

I particularly enjoyed the justification of doing this on the clock. 

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

Ten heads in a row is actually only one in 1,024 (two to the tenth power) - not as slim as I thought but I still wouldn't bet on it.

At least one head in ten tosses must be 1,023 to one on. Though for any individual coin, it's still 50/50.

I got a 10 in a row from just 30 flips (streak started from #20-#30).  I changed the height/power of the flip each time.  At one point it ended up in the bin (evidently a 1/146 chance).

Serious business this.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Random question.

If i wanted a flight out of Glasgow or Edinburgh on Saturday, returning on Monday - to pretty much any destination - what website would be the best to get a good deal?

We don't care about where we're going, but it needs to be a flight on Saturday returning on Monday, at a reasonable time.

My initial Google search hasn't been fruitfil, but maybe there's no good deals to be had like this.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Random question.

If i wanted a flight out of Glasgow or Edinburgh on Saturday, returning on Monday - to pretty much any destination - what website would be the best to get a good deal?

We don't care about where we're going, but it needs to be a flight on Saturday returning on Monday, at a reasonable time.

My initial Google search hasn't been fruitfil, but maybe there's no good deals to be had like this.

Skyscanner is usually decent.

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Random question.

Skyscanner lets you pick your departure airport and dates but with destination as "everywhere" and lists them by price afterward.

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Random question.

Skyscanner as other have said but when choosing the departure airport click the (nearby airport) button and that will show you Edinburgh and Glasgow

5 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Got to the true known 50:50 after n=2 and n=146

Experiment.PNG.db7376d1180b7c705074e13d8cb6cc08.PNG

Could have just stopped at 2, huh. <_<

Eta:  Should point out that some of my work deals with ratios / stats which still remains a bit of a dark art to me, so in a way this was justifiable work.  I'm told I have to work to n=200, but that "150 is usually fine if you can't get 200" (supported by this P&B experiment).  I usually find that counting away until I get 100 of one kind consistently comes away with a steady answer if the things occur in the same proportion.

I find you quite disturbing.

51 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I find you quite disturbing.

I did a 2nd experiment just for you.  Unfortunately, unlike the last one, this one shows that you actually need more than two flips to provide an accurate ratio.  A truly crushing blow tbh.

Interestingly, this one hit the true 50/50 value after 'just' 82 flips, but then proceeded to get worse (albeit a steady ~5% out from the true value).  I stopped counting after tails hit 100 (at which point there had been 81 heads).  Note the ^ trend after 40 or so flips where there was a run of tails followed by a run of heads just as it looked like it was actually getting towards 50%.

Experiment2.PNG.c36d441bb3fe16b48da775a2e259cd20.PNG

Take away lesson here:  more isn't necessarily better, and stats gives you a sore thumb.

Edited by Hedgecutter