Quick Question Thread

15 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Wait are we talking about yoghurt in the spoon bit of the spoon but just varying what side up you put it in your mouth or are we discussing actually putting the yoghurt on the back of the spoon? Because the latter is OFTW behaviour.

You'd be there forever.

Maths question here. Apologies in advance. 

I understand that odds of winning the lottery are about 15m to one for each ticket. So if I buy 15 for the same draw my odds come down to 1m to one. 

If I buy one ticket for each of fifteen consecutive draws, are the odds of winning still 15m to one? 

The odds of winning each draw are that, but I can't get my head around what that means for the overall odds. 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

I understand that odds of winning the lottery are about 15m to one for each ticket. So if I buy 15 for the same draw my odds come down to 1m to one. 

If I buy one ticket for each of fifteen consecutive draws, are the odds of winning still 15m to one? 

The odds of winning each draw are that, but I can't get my head around what that means for the overall odds. 

Previous draws have no effect on the odds of the current one. The odds against tossing a coin ten times in a row and getting heads every time (assuming an ordinary coin) are fairly small; I could work it out but can't be arsed. But if you've got nine heads in a row the odds on the tenth one being heads are still 50/50.

So you're still on a 15 million to one shot on every draw.

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

Previous draws have no effect on the odds of the current one. The odds against tossing a coin ten times in a row and getting heads every time (assuming an ordinary coin) are fairly small; I could work it out but can't be arsed. But if you've got nine heads in a row the odds on the tenth one being heads are still 50/50.

So you're still on a 15 million to one shot on every draw.

Yep, got that. I think that might be the analogy I need to work it out though. 

If I toss ten coins, what is my chance of getting one heads? Is that the analogous question? 

3 minutes ago, Grahame said:

If you took part in 15 draws your chances of winning any one (as a collective) would improve 15 fold.    

I've effectively added an additional 14 times the number of possible combinations (or is it permutations - can never remember) to the denominator though, have I not? The dates (1-15) are effectively something else I have to match. 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

If I toss ten coins, what is my chance of getting one heads? Is that the analogous question? 

Ten heads in a row is actually only one in 1,024 (two to the tenth power) - not as slim as I thought but I still wouldn't bet on it.

At least one head in ten tosses must be 1,023 to one on. Though for any individual coin, it's still 50/50.

30 minutes ago, coprolite said:

In a moment of great procrastination, I just flipped a poker chip (that I'd marked on one side with a pencil, which I'll call the tails side) 50 times.  I've been varying the amount of energy exerted on the flip, several have battered off the slant on the roof and landed that way, etc etc. 

After 10 flips,  I had 9 heads and just one tails.  After 50, I've got 33 heads and only 17 tails.  At one point I got 10 successive heads.

#science 

Just now, Hedgecutter said:

In a moment of great procrastination, I just flipped a poker chip (that I'd marked on one side with a pencil, which I'll call the tails side) 50 times.  I've been varying the amount of energy exerted on the flip, several have battered off the slant on the roof and landed that way, etc etc. 

After 10 flips,  I had 9 heads and just one tails.  After 50, I've got 33 heads and only 17 tails.  At one point I got 10 successive heads.

#science 

Let us know the outcome once you've finished the experiment 

49 minutes ago, coprolite said:

14,999,985/1

Edited by welshbairn

20 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

#science 

The side with the pencil mark will have more weight.

49 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Let us know the outcome once you've finished the experiment 

Got to the true known 50:50 after n=2 and n=146

Experiment.PNG.db7376d1180b7c705074e13d8cb6cc08.PNG

Could have just stopped at 2, huh. <_<

Eta:  Should point out that some of my work deals with ratios / stats which still remains a bit of a dark art to me, so in a way this was justifiable work.  I'm told I have to work to n=200, but that "150 is usually fine if you can't get 200" (supported by this P&B experiment).  I usually find that counting away until I get 100 of one kind consistently comes away with a steady answer if the things occur in the same proportion.

Edited by Hedgecutter