Quick Question Thread

29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do you have any history of heart trouble in your family? Probably one of the questions.

Yes, a doctor told my mother one of me or my two brothers was guaranteed to have heart problems by 30 as my father, his father and his all did. 

My two brothers are 39 and 35. I'm 31. 

None of us has ever been given any heart testing - as it isn't provided on the NHS until 45 (I think that was the age given). 

I'm genuinely interested in what you go in and ask for as is known on here, I've hardly been heart healthy. 

Spoke to my GP over the phone and he's wanting me in for some tests. I'm booked in for 8th April, no idea if this will be a general check up or what.

Anyways, thanks for the advice.

Spoke to my GP over the phone and he's wanting me in for some tests. I'm booked in for 8th April, no idea if this will be a general check up or what.
Anyways, thanks for the advice.
Something I need to get done too. My father (71) passed out a couple of weeks ago whilst out walking. Dr and hospital tests reveal he's got Aortic Stenosis and is now in for heart surgery in the next 2mths. I need to get myself checked out.

My first wife died suddenly aged 39 and a few years later one of her brothers also and the docs discovered he had long QT syndrome which is a fault with the hearts rhythm meaning you can just drop dead with no warning. Family were tested and other brother and step daughter were put on beta blockers for life. Definitely worth a thorough MOT if possible.

I was remembering that you could hire a rowboat on Keptie Pond, Arbroath back in the 1970s but not now. Which makes me ask- where are there boating ponds that you can still hire a boat in Scotland? Moffat springs to mind and you could at Callendar House in Falkirk but I've not been there for years

46 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I was remembering that you could hire a rowboat on Keptie Pond, Arbroath back in the 1970s but not now. Which makes me ask- where are there boating ponds that you can still hire a boat in Scotland? Moffat springs to mind and you could at Callendar House in Falkirk but I've not been there for years

You used to at Clyde Park in Motherwell but that got knocked on the head when it became Strathclyde Country Park.  Still, at least it's a holiday destination for P&Bers of a certain vintage, mind...

Lock Ken Holiday Park (me neither) has rowing boats for hire according to google:

https://www.lochkenholidaypark.co.uk/our-park/park-activities/water-sports

Edit: Callendar Park - a Sunday School trip destination for we churchy North Lanarkshire types in the 60s - still offers 'swan pedalos'.  Excited?  A swan pedalo>>>that big stupid wheel.  Sort out your marketing, Falkirk.

Edited by The_Kincardine

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Bught Park in Inverness.  Also has a cool wee miniature railway that you sit on.

Edited by HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Girvan (I think) still has one.

Folk who live in London:

Is life there actually busier than any other city? You rarely hear folk from Birmingham or Glasgow mention their busy lives but Londoners can't wait to tell you how rushed off their feet they are. Is it true or simply w****r talk?

When taking someone to court for a claim against them, they are using their liability insurance, the case is clearly in the pursuer's favour....

1. Is it up to the accused or the insurance company if an offer/refusal of compensation is to be made?

And

2. If an out of court offer is to be made, when is this likely to happen?

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:

Folk who live in London:

Is life there actually busier than any other city? You rarely hear folk from Birmingham or Glasgow mention their busy lives but Londoners can't wait to tell you how rushed off their feet they are. Is it true or simply w****r talk?

Lived there for 15 years or so and it's the time and hassle it takes to get from one part of the city to another that makes life seem busier than other places. Say you live in Walthamstow, work in the City or Docklands, go home to change then go out with friends in the West End, and nightbus home. I was glad to get out and live in places you can walk to get where you need. Work isn't any busier there than anywhere else, unless you're freelancing in an industry that has particularly high demand in London, I did ridiculous hours sometimes working in theatre, but that could happen anywhere depending on your job.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Girvan (I think) still has one.

Was trying to remember that earlier. Either Irvine or Girvan had this pond with these wee yellow motorboat things. I couldn’t work out the steering as a kid and just went spinning in circles until puking and crying.