Quick Question Thread

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

North of Perth, the average speed cameras don't work on the dual carriageway sections (if you look they're all placed a few hundred yards in to the single sections). On the single sections I'll generally sit with cruise control set at 65. On the Perth to Dunblane road I set it to 75.

I’ve tried the cruise control a few times and I really don’t like it. Somehow makes me feel a bit queasy. Must be a control thing.

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I’ve tried the cruise control a few times and I really don’t like it. Somehow makes me feel a bit queasy. Must be a control thing.

It takes a little bit of getting used to (you need to look further ahead up the road if you want to avoid using the pedals), but once you've got used to it it makes driving any sort of distance so much more comfortable as you can move your feet about freely. I wouldn't have a car without it now.

7 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Build your confidence up by using it in 20mph areas, this also doubles up as a way to annoy cunty drivers in a hurry.

9 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

It takes a little bit of getting used to (you need to look further ahead up the road if you want to avoid using the pedals), but once you've got used to it it makes driving any sort of distance so much more comfortable as you can move your feet about freely. I wouldn't have a car without it now.

I seem to be doing lots of long distance drives these days, and wouldn't like to be without it. Just so much more relaxing with both feet flat on the floor, and your fingers on the + - buttons on the steering wheel. It's also reassuring to bear in mind that you just have to touch any pedal momentarily to turn it off.

11 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I seem to be doing lots of long distance drives these days, and wouldn't like to be without it. Just so much more relaxing with both feet flat on the floor, and your fingers on the + - buttons on the steering wheel. It's also reassuring to bear in mind that you just have to touch any pedal momentarily to turn it off.

8 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

I wouldn't try that with the noisy pedal, it stays active.

In my last car (2016 Vauxhall Corsa) it was only the brake that disengaged it. I quite liked that, as other than initially moving off and in to first gear, you could then hit reset and accelerate up through the gears using only the clutch pedal. Every other car I've had with it switched it off when you hit the clutch though.

Cruise control is the tits. I join the Tonkin Highway 5 mins after leaving my house, stick the CC on at 100km/h and only slow down once for an 80km/h bend during my 30 minute commute as the roads are quiet on my way to shitenift.  I reckon I must save a fair bit of fuel compared to having my foot on the accelerator the whole way.

I've mentioned before, the only problem is when you are in traffic you notice how much other drivers speed fluctuates wildly while just driving in a straight line.

Drivers of cars with cruise control fitted but not using it on free-flowing roads should be given the electric chair. 

6 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Cruise control is the tits. I join the Tonkin Highway 5 mins after leaving my house, stick the CC on at 100km/h and only slow down once for an 80km/h bend during my 30 minute commute as the roads are quiet on my way to shitenift.  I reckon I must save a fair bit of fuel compared to having my foot on the accelerator the whole way.

I've mentioned before, the only problem is when you are in traffic you notice how much other drivers speed fluctuates wildly while just driving in a straight line.

Drivers of cars with cruise control fitted but not using it on free-flowing roads should be given the electric chair. 

I’ve got adaptive cruise control and lane assist. Can basically go to sleep on a motorway. 

7 hours ago, Dee Man said:

There are urban myths of Australian road trains where they lock the steering wheel, switch on the cruise control and then take a nap.  Not sure if any are true.

2 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

I’ve got adaptive cruise control and lane assist. Can basically go to sleep on a motorway. 

My boss has a Tesla and I have 2 stories. 

1. He was showing off about it and going to drive from Manchester "without touching the steering wheel" the following week. The next day in the news, somebody in USA was doing this and drove out in front of an 18 wheeler and died instantly. He never attempted the steer-less drive, shitehouse. 

2. We were on a customer site visit and he was, again, showing off about his car and how fantastic it is. He apparently did this time drive it there without steering and was amazed how quickly it got him to Uddingston. There were some company execs over from Germany at the same time and hit him with "you think that's fast, we got here in X amount of time in our own learjet". Glorious, get back in your box. 

Edited by Mr. Alli

10 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I’ve tried to use it, but I find there’s too many c***s on the road and gave up 

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

There are urban myths of Australian road trains where they lock the steering wheel, switch on the cruise control and then take a nap.  Not sure if any are true.

Ross Noble claimed that he was driving a car in Australia and the satnav told him "Drive east for two days, then turn left."

Given that he is a stand-up comedian I wouldn't be surprised to learn this isn't actually true.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

Check this shit out from just a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what's worse, what he's doing or his honking patter. 

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/idiot-truckie-films-himself-speeding-from-passenger-seat-noone-behind-the-wheel/news-story/f028a30d7fcc77bf5e6e1f191a5c7779

3 hours ago, GordonD said:

Ross Noble claimed that he was driving a car in Australia and the satnav told him "Drive east for two days, then turn left."

Given that he is a stand-up comedian I wouldn't be surprised to learn this isn't actually true.

Obviously it is true.  If you drive east of Perth, Australia for two days and then turn right, you will end up the sea.

6 hours ago, Perkin Flump said:

Who is that in Dr Cements avatars? I am sure she was in a cookery programme but it is driving me even madder than trying to remember anything about the Periodic Table.

It's that Psycho Girlfriend lassie.