Quick Question Thread

1 minute ago, Iminavest said:

Is an air fryer worth investing the guts of 50 quid into or more likely to end up as a kitchen ornament?

Worth it, if you want to make chips but much healthier than the disgusting chip pan of old. Uses barely any oil and they taste great. 

30 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Worth it, if you want to make chips but much healthier than the disgusting chip pan of old. Uses barely any oil and they taste great. 

Agreed, and it avoids the risk of Billy Connolly's 'Partick Roulette' (making chips when you're pished).

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Domestic argument needing settled:

Is pleasant vs unpleasant a binary choice, or is there a middle ground between the two choices?

Neutral I suppose.

This is a pleasant pint.

This is an unpleasant pint

This is a meh pint

Does anyone else find themselves eating absolute shite when they're working a Nightshift? I've tried to just flip my meal times by 12 hours but I still end up digging into multiple bags of crisps and Haribo which I wouldn't normally do through the day.

Does anyone else find themselves eating absolute shite when they're working a Nightshift? I've tried to just flip my meal times by 12 hours but I still end up digging into multiple bags of crisps and Haribo which I wouldn't normally do through the day.
Night shift is particularly bad for boredom eating

28 minutes ago, Aidan said:

It's inevitable I"m afraid. For some reason when your body clock gets fucked up you crave the bad stuff. Bit like hangover eating.

I tried everything, like eating big healthy dinners before going to work. All that happens is a colleague says "f**k it, I'm going for a kebab/big mac, what ye wantin?"and that's it.

Or, you abstain and hoover up the fridge when you get home.

Edited by Academically Deficient
Spelling

28 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Have you tried sleeping? In my nightshift days there was 3 of us, we took it in turns.

Night shift is particularly bad for boredom eating
It's inevitable I"m afraid. For some reason when your body clock gets fucked up you crave the bad stuff. Bit like hangover eating.
I tried everything, like eating big healthy dinners before going to work. All that happens is a colleague says "f**k it, I'm going for a kebab/big mac, what ye wantin?"and that's it.
Or, you abstain and hoover up the fridge when you get home.

I think both of these possibly explain it, I've tried to avoid buying as much shite in but it's easier to stock up on microwave food, crisps and stuff than it is to make healthier stuff every day.
Have you tried sleeping? In my nightshift days there was 3 of us, we took it in turns.
I work alone and whilst I probably would get away with sleeping for a bit, if someone decides to break in whilst I'm sitting sleeping I'd be jobless and quite possibly dead.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I used to be able to eat well on nights if I guzzle copious amounts of water. The downside was during the day whilst trying to sleep I needed 25 pishes. 

Water's definitely the key to getting through a first night shift or a double/treble shift, coffee doesn't do it after a while. 

On 31/08/2020 at 21:38, Hedgecutter said:

Domestic argument needing settled:

Is pleasant vs unpleasant a binary choice, or is there a middle ground between the two choices?

If you were, say, sampling items of food then, of course, it isn't binary. 

An example scale may be:  pleasant...unremarkable...bland...unpalatable...unpleasant