Quick Question Thread

Right, I realise I'm just asking for trouble here but, anyway

Suggestions for presents to buy my two step daughters (30 and 24) and my two granddaughters (ones is 2 on Christmas day the other is 6)

I have no idea.....I had a wife to help last year but this year I'm on my own and bricking it!

Queue etiquette:

If I arrive at the barbers before someone, but nip right outside the door to speak to a mate for a couple if minutes, do I lose my place in the queue? I would have probably said yes, so long as the other person acknowledged that I was there first. Id have been happy to give up my space. But the other guy just shot in front of me without mentioning it. Dick?

Queue etiquette:

If I arrive at the barbers before someone, but nip right outside the door to speak to a mate for a couple if minutes, do I lose my place in the queue?

Absolutely not if the other guy saw you there when he went in. I call it the 'German Queue' when you know who was there first and you have the decency to let the one who's been waiting the longest go first. Anything else is just being a dick imo.

I had a similar problem with an Airdrie fan at Glebe Park once. I was in the soup queue just before half time, stepped out a couple of feet to see Brechin take a corner and then moved back in when it came to nothing. The guy told me to get to the back of the queue and when I didn't, he called a steward over who just laughed at him when she heard his story. Seething isn't the word.

Queue etiquette:

If I arrive at the barbers before someone, but nip right outside the door to speak to a mate for a couple if minutes, do I lose my place in the queue? I would have probably said yes, so long as the other person acknowledged that I was there first. Id have been happy to give up my space. But the other guy just shot in front of me without mentioning it. Dick?

If I was the one waiting and someone else nipped outside to chat, I'd let them back in.

If I was the one nipping outside, I'd fully expect to lose my place with no complaints.

If I was waiting and someone else nipped outside to chat, I'd let them back in.

If I was the one nipping outside, I'd fully expect to lose my place with no complaints.

Even with the 'British Queue' system, the barbers is a bit of an exception. It's not as if folk are standing in a long line out the door are they? You go in, grab a spare seat located somewhere randomly in the room, wait until you think it's your go and then wait for that funny wee nod of approval you get from the other guy when the barber asks "who's next then?".

My girlfriends parents like Port but I'm utterly clueless about it. Going to get them a bottle for Christmas, anyone know about what's decent at a reasonable price?

Just buy a cheap bottle from Aldi and hope when you give it to them it is windy as hell and pissing rain.

This "Any port in a storm" gag is brought to you courtesy of Granny Danger.

Even with the 'British Queue' system, the barbers is a bit of an exception. It's not as if folk are standing in a long line out the door are they? You go in, grab a spare seat located somewhere randomly in the room, wait until you think it's your go and then wait for that funny wee nod of approval you get from the other guy when the barber asks "who's next then?".

Like I said, I've always given someone the nod if they'd went to speak to a mate or answer the phone for 2 minutes. But I wouldn't be overly bothered if I did it, and lost my place as a result.

I'm thinking about binning Sky, whichever wee deal I had has ended and I'm back to 82 bangers a month for everything bar movies and BT Sport.

Ideal world I'd bin it all and just get broadband and free view but my only signal comes through my Sky dish, when I moved in there was an old broken analogue lead and nothing else.

What's the easiest/cheapest option here? I'm in a ground floor flat (2 floors above me)?

Could do with more disposable income, only really have Sky for football (which I'm getting tired of) and NFL which ends soon. If I'm cutting anything back its this money to Murdoch.

Virgin TV isn't available in my street for some reason despite being in Glasgow.

If I bin Sky I'm assuming I can't hang onto the box to receive free view through my Sky dish?

I'm thinking about binning Sky, whichever wee deal I had has ended and I'm back to 82 bangers a month for everything bar movies and BT Sport.

Ideal world I'd bin it all and just get broadband and free view but my only signal comes through my Sky dish, when I moved in there was an old broken analogue lead and nothing else.

What's the easiest/cheapest option here? I'm in a ground floor flat (2 floors above me)?

Could do with more disposable income, only really have Sky for football (which I'm getting tired of) and NFL which ends soon. If I'm cutting anything back its this money to Murdoch.

Virgin TV isn't available in my street for some reason despite being in Glasgow.

If I bin Sky I'm assuming I can't hang onto the box to receive free view through my Sky dish?

Pretty sure you can use the box but you only get a quite limited choice of channels, if you want a larger choice you can buy a freesat box.

I think you can actually. It may depend what you signed up for but I've cancelled Sky before and been able to keep the equipment. I doubt it's really worth their while to come and take it from you.

So the Sky HD Box I have will still give me all the channels you get on Freeview even if I completely cancel the TV part of my package?

And then I can either continue to use Sky for broadband (I get a phone package too but never use it) or I can switch over to a cheaper broaband provider that uses a BT line?

Is that is right then that's sound. Who does the best value reliable broadband? I'm currently paying for the unlimited Sky package and get around 16 mbps, wouldn't like to drop much I don't think.

You can buy a sky freesat viewing card for a one off £25 let's you get all the free view channels.

post-41375-13873515126469_thumb.jpg

Sky phone/broadband is probably the cheapest you can get I pay £14 line rental and £7 for bband unlimited I then get free evening and weekend calls. You then have the option to pay another £5 to get unlimited free weekday calls as well.

(Might be more expensive if you don't subscribe to sky tv though ??)