The New Raith Rovers Thread

Supposedly we did try to sign him last season, yeah.

I quite like him, actually, in a big-clumsy-c**t sort of way. He's a bit more like the kind of forward we're missing, anyhow, if we do need another one at all.

8 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

been on loan to Morton during a few spells over the past 2 seasons - scored 25 goals in 48 games - thats a decent return for a team kicking around above the relgation zone. Clearly knows where the back of the net is! a positive signing, coupled with the upcoming confirmation that Skacel has signed as well.

All but 5 of those goals came when Morton won League One. I could cynically say he's still unproven at this level, but he did look fairly decent against us at Cappielow.

Would be a lot happier with McManus than Harry, not sure if that just says more about my opinion on Harry though.

Remember McManus scoring against us at Starks last year, also remember him missing a rake of chances in that game too. Jury is out for me but my gut says he is an overall upgrade on Stewart and Osei (although he's a different type of striker to both).

Edited by R.R.FC

You are correct. Ray tried to sign him in January but he decided to sign for Morton probably because he was already a hero there..

So much for Hardie going back to raith, he will be alex rae's next signing.

McManus is dreadful.

So much for Hardie going back to raith, he will be alex rae's next signing.

McManus is dreadful.

If what's being said is true Rangers want Hardie's wages paid in full. Can St Mirren afford that?

38 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Give it up. :lol: You've been saying that for weeks now. Alex Rae is only making one more signing. It won't be a striker..

Unfortunately this now looks to be correct. It was almost a cert that Hardie was on his way but Quinn being out with a suspected broken ankle has forced our hand in that regard so we'll probably be in for a central mid. Unless we can shift one or two young lads out on loan but even then I fail to see how that will free up enough. 

I wouldn't imagine Hardie will be on a great amount at Rangers and as such would certainly be affordable if he was our only target. Unfortunately he's now a luxury and a central mid will probably be a necessity. 

3 hours ago, Varna Rover said:

So that gives us strength in depth. What more could we ask for.

Well, maybe. If we get injuries and stuff it'll obviously be useful, but at the moment we're going to have more players than he can give regular chances too.

Just feels a little bit kid-in-sweetie-shop.

Well, maybe. If we get injuries and stuff it'll obviously be useful, but at the moment we're going to have more players than he can give regular chances too.

Just feels a little bit kid-in-sweetie-shop.

Last season, you were probably one of the ones moaning that we don't have enough strength in depth, you're now moaning we have too much strength in depth..? Can never win with some people :lol:

Disappointed that Mcmanus has signed for Raith as we were allegedly in for him as well. If he's played up front and gets the right service I'd imagine he'll get you 10 -15 goals over the season. He also works hard for the team but is prone to daft bookings.

Very happy if we sign McManus. Always thought he was a very decent player and will score goals at this level. 

If I'm being honest the only signing I'm sceptical about (and very at that) is Skacel but I'm happy with all other's. If we can get Robertson and Barr back fit and M'voto up to speed I actually like the look of our squad. A good blend of youth and experience and a lot of pace about it. 

Also happy to hear Locke being so honest about the matches so far. 

We have to remember that if these 2 signings happen today that's 10 new players into the squad so far which is far more than any of us really expected at the end of last season. A few are young and all will need time to gel in. Plus Vaughan is playing for the first time in a year. I'm confident things will come together given time.

1 hour ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Last season, you were probably one of the ones moaning that we don't have enough strength in depth, you're now moaning we have too much strength in depth..? Can never win with some people :lol:

I'm reasonably sure that I wasn't.

Or not at this stage of the season, anyway. (Come January it was obvious we were short of forwards, but that's because we had, like, one.)

Anyway, not complaining either. Just a bit surprised. I guess I got used to the McGlynn / Murray method of starting the season with a small squad and then bringing in loanees once it became evident where we needed them.